PDA

View Full Version : Magpul CTR vs. MOE

Jellybean
06-28-10, 00:45
Well, to start, I did do a good bit of searching the forums here with google, and while I did find a lot of interesting info, there was no thread I could find that specifically compared these two stocks.

So anyway, the two stocks I'm looking at right now, are the CTR and MOE from Magpul. Bascially, the one big question I have is, is the CTR really worth the extra $20-30?

I'm personally leaning a bit more toward the CTR- with the massively widespread use I'm seeing, there must be something more right with it than the MOE (or maybe it's just that the MOE is newer?). And I kind of like the idea of the extra friction clamp to eliminate wiggling. A couple places I've also read that the MOE is a bit on the small side...? But I've also read/heard a fair amount of people say that the MOE is just as tight and generally good as the CTR.

I honestly wouldn't mind either, but I'd hate to get the MOE, than a few years down the road wish I'd gotten the CTR. Or the reverse. I'm pretty confident in Magpul's general quality- I'd just like to get it right the first time, for a change.:rolleyes:

GroundLabTactical
06-28-10, 00:57
CTR hands down. the moe will be the same as all of the standard 5 pos stocks (will have wobble).

The CTR's friction lock makes is solid with nearly zero wobble (better shooting platform)

spamsammich
06-28-10, 01:10
I have multiples of both and when I'm actually shooting, I can never tell the difference between the two types. Different story when I'm just fingerbanging the rifles. I stick to the MOE now to save money and use LMT receiver extensions to keep the fit on the tight side.

tobasco
06-28-10, 01:19
got mine (moe) from a member on here (belmont) and it works great. i love it so much.

WEC
06-28-10, 01:27
Personally I really like the CTR for the friction lock. It is rock-solid still with it engaged. Also the CTR has a QD swivel mount on it - not sure how important that is to you. But in the end: your build, your money, your preference.

swsmailman
06-28-10, 01:38
This was also a question that I had on the CTR vs. MOE stock, glad someone posted it and hopefully will have good responses to help with my decision also.

petergun870
06-28-10, 02:10
I had a ctr and to tell you the truth 90% of the time i forgot to engage the friction lock but hey why not spend the extra $ depends on your economic situation i would say

rob_s
06-28-10, 06:14
I have owned both, and going forward I only buy MOE. I do not have a need for the QD sling swivel and would only buy a CTR if I did. I find the concern over "stock wobble" to be completely unnoticeable in actual shooting, and the MOE is tighter than the standard M4 stock anyway. If I need a stock that locks up 100% I use the UBR.

seb5
06-28-10, 07:00
I've got 2 of each and as posted above can't tell the difference when shooting. The lock means nothing to me. I do like the QD's for my slings but since getting rid of everything but the Blue Force Gear 2 points there's no reason to switch them out for the dreaded single point anymore. The MOE is the way to go, IMHO.

Icedaddy56
06-28-10, 07:20
Thanks for posting this. My upper (BCM) arrives today and was wondering which stock to put on the lower and was deciding between the CTR and the MOE. I have a MOE on another build and really like it. No sense switching I guess

ForTehNguyen
06-28-10, 07:37
for the price of a CTR id rather move to the ACS

Zeus
06-28-10, 08:42
90-95% of shooters would not know the difference in a blind test regardless of whether they say they would or not (while actively shooting). I buy MOE only because it does not make a difference to ME. I say get you a CTR and later a MOE. From then on, you will know what works for YOU.

99HMC4
06-28-10, 09:32
+1 MOE.....

Dozer
06-28-10, 09:33
The MOE stock was designed to tighter tolerances due to the lack of a friction lock so it will feel tighter on a wider range of receiver extensions. If you need the QD function then go with a CTR, if not the MOE stock is a good choice.

Jellybean
06-28-10, 09:41
I have owned both, and going forward I only buy MOE. I do not have a need for the QD sling swivel and would only buy a CTR if I did. I find the concern over "stock wobble" to be completely unnoticeable in actual shooting, and the MOE is tighter than the standard M4 stock anyway. If I need a stock that locks up 100% I use the UBR.

I thought about the UBR- I kind of like it, but seems a little large .... And a bit on the expensive side.

Well, that's the thing- even my standard M4 stock doesn't wobble to badly once I press it against my shoulder. It just seems like the MOE is kind of the slightly better option. I know I'm probably just nitpicking, but relying off internet ordering, I've got to be completely sure one way or the other.

I have multiples of both and when I'm actually shooting, I can never tell the difference between the two types. Different story when I'm just fingerbanging the rifles. I stick to the MOE now to save money and use LMT receiver extensions to keep the fit on the tight side.

I noticed somebody else was going to mount an MOE on a BCM. That was my next question- Aside from LMT extensions, will they work just as well on something from BCM or Daniel Defense? As my next rifle will be one of those...

Personally I really like the CTR for the friction lock. It is rock-solid still with it engaged. Also the CTR has a QD swivel mount on it - not sure how important that is to you. But in the end: your build, your money, your preference.

The QD mount is a nice extra feature. I'm kind of liking the QD at the base of the extension, but it would be nice to have if I find otherwise. Other than that, it's not a big deal.
Price is an issue for me- however if the cheaper item turns out to be the way to go, great- but if I have to dish out a few extra dollars, than I will.

Seraph
06-28-10, 09:50
I like the CTR, for the lock, because I view these stocks more as adjustable LOP stocks (set it, and forget it), rather than as collapsible stocks. Some might say that I'm trying to use the CTR in the UBR's role, and to that, I guess I'd say they're very right. I like the UBR, in concept, but it's a little heavy, and the proprietary buffer tube turns me off somehow.

What I really like about the MOE stock is that they eliminated the QD point at the rear of the stock (I prefer to use the vertical slot at the rear of the stock). If the QD were eliminated from the CTR, I'd declare it the perfect carbine stock (for me).

Amicus
06-28-10, 10:33
I like the CTR, for the lock, because I view these stocks more as adjustable LOP stocks (set it, and forget it), rather than as collapsible stocks. Some might say that I'm trying to use the CTR in the UBR's role, and to that, I guess I'd say they're very right. I like the UBR, in concept, but it's a little heavy, and the proprietary buffer tube turns me off somehow.

What I really like about the MOE stock is that they eliminated the QD point at the rear of the stock (I prefer to use the vertical slot at the rear of the stock). If the QD were eliminated from the CTR, I'd declare it the perfect carbine stock (for me).

I agree with Seraph in all but one thing: I don't see how eliminating the QD point is going to make the CTR a better stock unless it is important to you to knock $20 off the price. Otherwise, I think he is right on.

If you want a Magpul stock on the "light" side, the CTR is the best choice. When you don't want a sling (e.g., when it gets tangled in your cleaning vise, when doing work on the carbine), it is an easy job to remove. When you are shouldering the carbine and get ever so slightly annoyed with the rattle, then the friction lock eliminates this.

What I appreciate about the features is that these little frustrations are cumulative, and while they are small in each instance, add up over time. The CTR just takes the little problems and eliminates them.

Seraph
06-28-10, 10:42
I agree that eliminating the QD wouldn't make the CTR better, overall. I just meant that it would make it a tiny bit better FOR ME, because I prefer to use the vertical slot (the QD intrudes on the slot, just a tiny bit, providing one of the very minor annoyances you cited - and I'll admit that it's truly trivial, posing no functional impediment whatsoever). I'm certainly not going to stop using CTR's over it, in any case. Knocking $20 off the price by eliminating the QD would be very cool by me, though (I imagine it would really be more like $5 or $7).

Byron
06-28-10, 11:55
Here's a past thread (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31910) about the two stocks.

When I posted my thoughts in that thread, I only owned MOE stocks. I now own both MOE and CTR stocks and continue to use them both. Count me in the camp of, "The CTR is only worth it if you will really use the QD socket."

My MOE stocks are plenty tight on my BCM receiver extensions. As I note in that previous thread, my MOE stocks have no rotational or sideways play on BCM milspec receiver extensions. The tiny amount of forward/backward play that I am able to get out of them is only noticeable when fingerbanging the weapons, as spam so eloquently puts it. I cannot perceive it during any kind of shooting, even if I'm just calmly shooting from the bench.

Artiz
06-28-10, 14:09
Every AR I have seen with the CTR the friction lock was never locked, so I don't see why they bought one, they don't use the friction lock anyway. I have a mil-spec MOE on an Armalite mil-spec receiver extention, it wobbles a little, but it doesn't bother me, I'm sure it wouldn't move at all on an LMT tube and such.

Kilo6
06-28-10, 15:34
I really like the CTR. The friction lock is a nice plus. It's funny though, I didn't really need a friction lock on my stock until the CTR came out. I own both and they are both great. I think I like the MOE's lighter weight over the CTR's friction lock though.

Jellybean
06-28-10, 23:50
Anyone else?
Score is currently MOE: 10 CTR:8

devildogljb
06-29-10, 01:09
Def the ctr stock the friction lock is a nice feature

Spiffums
06-29-10, 08:56
The Lock.......... better to have and not need , than to need and not have.

Burt Gummer........ All American Hero.:p

tylerw02
06-29-10, 10:15
Throw me on the MOE wagon. The "friction lock" is not all its cracked up to be or necessary by any means. The only way I'd go with the CTR over the MOE is if I had to have the QD socket.

TWR
06-29-10, 10:27
I have 3 CTR's and one MOE. If I had bought the MOE first, I don't know if I would now own any CTR's.

I like the QD socket but could care less on the friction lock, the MOE is plenty tight enough. Put me on the MOE side.

Dos Cylindros
06-29-10, 10:44
I have a CTR and really like it, that being said I don't know if I would opt for it over the MOE if I didn't already have the CTR.

ROCKET20_GINSU
06-29-10, 17:30
I prefer the CTR though I can absolutely see why people don't feel that it is worth the extra $$$.

I use the QD swivel and think that the friction lock is a nice feature though definitely not necessary. My practice gun a 5.45 has a MOE and it works just fine, but my "nice" gun a LMT 14.5" has a CTR.

I vote CTR

GU

500grains
06-29-10, 17:51
I have one CTR and one MOE. I like the MOE better because it is simpler and plenty stable.

Jake Bauer
06-29-10, 23:52
No experience with a CTR, but I dont see how you cant get by with just an MOE. May have a little movement, (and I'm a guy who hates stuff that rattles or is loose) but its simple, and it works fine and is cheaper.

M76F
06-30-10, 02:36
IMO the "friction lock" is completely useless. Stock wobble is something that people complain about when they want something to complain about, not something that actually matters.

Just buy the MOE, it's cheap and effective.

variablebinary
06-30-10, 03:13
CTR

I like the feel of the solid lock up, and the QD mount

Fairweather8588
06-30-10, 14:49
Another for the MOE, but I also don't have a use for the QD on the CTR

PatEgan
06-30-10, 17:37
Another vote for the CTR. I actually like the lock, and use the opposite side QD hole for the sling. If it didn't have one already I would have bought an adapter for one.
Pat

jklaughrey
06-30-10, 17:38
I vote the CTR, for the simple reason...OPTIONS!

Plato
07-01-10, 01:17
I love my CTRs.

JSTICFRALL
07-01-10, 19:00
I love my CTR and use the friction lock at all times. There is a noticeable reduction in wobble which I think makes the lock completely worth it. Not to mention you've got the QD for a sling loop already in the stock.

sapper36
07-01-10, 19:17
I have used both and prefer the CTR. They are a great fit with LMT buffer tubes.

Belmont31R
07-01-10, 19:32
The friction lock is hit or miss. On some they lock up tight, and others there is still some movement.

I would only get the CTR if you plan on using the QD stud or can't stand a little bit of wobble like the MOE has. MOE is a lot cheaper for otherwise the exact same stock.

Jellybean
07-02-10, 00:21
Wow.
Great responses so far, guys. Thanks!

This is what I was afraid was going to happen though- they're both so similar it's going to be hard decision either way- current tally is somewhere around MOE:14 CTR:15

Bubba FAL
07-02-10, 00:58
CTR for me. Got 'em on 2 ARs.

I like and use both the lock and QD mount.

Zeus
07-02-10, 04:29
If it's that close, tells me it's a matter of personal preference. Get either one and TRY it for yourself!

DWood
07-02-10, 05:13
I'm considering both of them. I just got a very short SBR upper and want something smaller than the SOPMOD on my LMT lower. The price of the MOE looks good, but I was surprised to see the CTR is a little lighter, according to Magpuls website.

The determining factor in which one I try first may be the timing of the first one I find a good deal on in the EE. Seems like they will both meet my needs.

Amicus
07-02-10, 08:09
I'm considering both of them. I just got a very short SBR upper and want something smaller than the SOPMOD on my LMT lower. The price of the MOE looks good, but I was surprised to see the CTR is a little lighter, according to Magpuls website.

The website states that the CTR milspec is 0.04 lbs lighter than the MOE; but, the paper catalog states the opposite. No real difference?

Seraph
07-02-10, 09:38
The website states that the CTR milspec is 0.04 lbs lighter than the MOE; but, the paper catalog states the opposite. No real difference?

Obviously, the MOE must be a little lighter than the CTR, due to the omission of the lock lever, and its accompanying little metal bits.

rob_s
07-02-10, 09:56
I have a picture somewhere of the two compared on the same scale the same day. I'll try to find it.

IIRC the different colors can have different densities and weigh different amounts, so you have to weigh identical colors.

ztf HITMAN
07-04-10, 00:18
The Lock.......... better to have and not need , than to need and not have.

Burt Gummer........ All American Hero.:p

Well said. I prefer to have the options that the CTR gives.
BTW, I've owned both.

matemike
08-23-10, 20:29
All fantastic answers so far...and thanks a lot for the info...

But tell me this...does the CTR require an extra button push/release to move the stock if it in is the locked state?
i.e. is the MOE an over-all faster functioning stock? with just the one tab to lift?

Reason I ask is because my gun is mainly used for plinking around my deer lease. And I like shooting at different ranges, different situations, different set ups, and in tight brush sometimes too if a rabbit runs into that that thick stuff. Plus, I'm in and out of the truck a lot with it too (I maybe even shot it out of the window once or twice with the stock fully collapsed)(truck was stopped, don't flame me). So anyways, the current stock on my AR is contstantly being adjusted. in and out. I won't use the QD sling attachment, and I don't think a slight wobble will be a big prob as I am already cool with my S&W original carbine stock being a little wobbly. As long as it doesn't collapse in on recoil...had that happen a couple times and had to adjust the pin that locks it...it's behaved better since.

Anyways...should I lean towards the MOE? I just think the CTR, if carried in a locked position and requiring flipping two tabs could slow me down by a second...which is unacceptable;)

whiterabbit05
08-23-10, 20:36
I don't own either, but I believe that the adjustment lever on the CTR also deactivates the friction lock when you press down on it to adjust the length. You'll just have to push the friction lock back down afterwards.

JSTICFRALL
08-23-10, 21:27
I don't own either, but I believe that the adjustment lever on the CTR also deactivates the friction lock when you press down on it to adjust the length. You'll just have to push the friction lock back down afterwards.

Correct! As soon as you depress the button to make an adjustment to the stock, it automatically disables the friction lock.