PDA

View Full Version : Training and Ageing

p7fl
06-28-10, 12:35
There is a lot of good information about training here. Very little of it deals with the older athlete. “60 is the new 40” etc has become a cliché. But training hard at 60 and onward is a mystery
Everyone uses their life experience for their core exercise routine and I am interested in what the 50+ crowd is doing. I also am curious as to what adjustments you have made from 35-40 to now and what your training goals are.

Dirk Williams
06-28-10, 15:23
God I love that saying. I think it can be true if you can keep it straight in your head. Ive had alot of time to reflect in the past few weeks/months after hip replacement.

My biggest question is how does this really work.

20 thru 39ish running daily, swimming weekly, bicycling daily. weights or sit ups and push ups daily. Even then I was chubby, but in great shape cardio wise.

40 to 53, No running little biking, little swimming, no push ups or set ups. Always in pain from work related injuries or another physical handicaps. 12 hour shifts, court, and over time were killing me. Simply put consumed by the job.

Lots of rowing, walking, kettle weights weekly. Gotten heavier but can trim down quickly when I apply myself.

being medically retired soon, not sure what I can do for the next month.

I do know this, I have no intention of sitting back feeling sorry for myself. walking daily physical theropy at least 3 days a week. I need the Doctors to start telling me what I can do, not what I can't do.

I had planned on riding a bicycle down the Oregon Coast from Wa to Ca later this year. Just not sure what kind of bike Im able to ride.

Also preparing to hit the rivers again,, waters high and I have many white water rafts that need my attention and many rivers that I wish/need to re float. Great workout.

I think its a realistic goal to find what each of us can physically do and go for it.

My goals the rest of this year are.

Do a 50/60 mile back pack trip. "mild trail along the rogue river".

Raft weekly. Klamath river, Umpqua river , Sacramento river. Cal Salmon river.

Bicycle ride the Oregon coast.

Walk nightly with my wife and watch the sun go down.

Re-learn to fly fish on some of the neetest little creeks in eastern Oregon.

Perhaps try this three gun stuff to keep proficient after im totally retired from my job.

And maybe race sail boats again if theirs time and the lake stays high enough to get over the sand bar..

I think an active mind will lead to an active life style which should equal 40 is the new 60.

D Williams

RogerinTPA
06-28-10, 16:58
Date younger women.;)

SeriousStudent
06-28-10, 17:37
Date younger women.;)

You going after the single ones this time?

Or is the E&E exercise from the angry husband all part of the workout? :p

BWW
06-28-10, 20:03
what I use to do all night long, now takes me all night to do ???

RogerinTPA
06-28-10, 20:24
You going after the single ones this time?

Or is the E&E exercise from the angry husband all part of the workout? :p

Touche'!

120mm
06-29-10, 11:31
Walking is an extremely underrated exercise. As a physically fubar'd 46 year old, I am already foreshadowing more walking and less running and other intensive fitness exercizes in my future.

I've also given up on pushing hard on my weight workouts for weight. More reps, less weight, and increasing the time between maximum effort days are also things I've accepted.