PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit replacement contents

mildot
06-28-10, 18:47
Well I've always believed that "charity starts at home" that said I'm looking for some replacement/additions to the IFAK. if anyone on the site can help just PM me. Cheers

Eric Cartman
06-30-10, 20:10
have you looked through the sticky Kit Recommendations (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33004) above? Lots and lots of information here

ra2bach
07-09-10, 22:17
Well I've always believed that "charity starts at home" that said I'm looking for some replacement/additions to the IFAK. if anyone on the site can help just PM me. Cheers

does this mean you're looking for some donations, or just recommendations?

mildot
07-10-10, 07:15
Just recommendations

AZwildcat
07-23-10, 08:57
I believe in preparedness for the worst case scenarios when I put gear in my kit. One of that items that does that is Quikclot gauze. This is a gauze pad that has kaolin in it that causes the blood to clot very quickly. It is indispensible when you are in the bush and a cut or gash happens.

I have used it several times when I cut myself or a buddy has a situation where he is bleeding badly. It has worked extremely well at stopping the bleeding and let us close the wound with butterflies. That has saved at least a couple of trips where we would otherwise have had to go to a medical facility to get treatment.

Bottom line for Quikclot is that you don't need it often, but, when you do need it, you need it badly.

mildot
07-23-10, 09:06
I'm pretty sure were on the same page here. Here is a pic just to confirm, since I have a pack of the sponges as well.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/mildot326/quikclotcombatgauzedetail003.jpg

I have never used this gauze, so I'm curious do you just wrap the wound like using conventional gauze? If you can describe more of how you used it that would be great since you have some "hands on" experience with it.

AZwildcat
07-24-10, 09:07
The picture is of "Combat Gauze" which is somewhat larger than the "Quikclot Sport" gauze that I have used. The "Sport" version looks like a square gauze pad and is used by applying the pad to wound and holding pressure for a couple of minutes. Once the bleed is stopped, you can apply whatever dressing is appropriate. I have used butterflies on a deep cut and just left the Quikclot pad on the wound and wrapped it on another cut that was not as deep. You will know the appropriate method based on the wound.

I checked the Z-Medica and Quikclot websites and I think the Combat Gauze is available for purchase by medical professional or military only. I looked at E-bay and it is available there but I have no idea where the seller gets it. I have bought my Quikclot Sport on line at Quikclot.com and I understand it is available at Dick's Sporting Goods and REI.

mildot
07-24-10, 09:11
Thanks, I sourced mine at Supply Captain if that helps?

Lynn_A
08-14-10, 15:14
As I just commented in this post (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=733299&postcount=26), all of my first aid kits contain a small dropper bottle of colloidal silver (Colloidal Silver). It works as an antibiotic and it works as an antiseptic. I've even managed to get rid of a wart with silver. I take a tablespoon of silver each week as a preventative measure against sinus infections, that used to plague me.

The medical industry doesn't like us discovering replacements for their high-priced pharmaceuticals, but that is just because they are so effective. The way I see it, when SHTF, the doctors and the pharmacies aren't going to be much help to us anyway, right?