PDA

View Full Version : Someone familiar with FBO procurement lingo..

MadcapMagician
06-28-10, 19:12
I am stuck in the middle of nowhere for work and have settled on surfing the FBO.gov website and found this...

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=3fd0c0d5d088c462a4ad82d0c3cf4661&tab=core&_cview=0

From my interpretation it seems that someone wants to see what a .410 revolver is capable of. Anyone have any details or insight?

SuicideHz
06-28-10, 19:25
Ok so they want a Judge but don't want a Taurus. I sure as hell don't blame them.

They are basically letting Ruger and S&W know that there IS a REAL market (or buyer) for a Judge type revolver but they aren't blatantly coming out and saying Taurus sucks.

They have to be fair ya know? :p

Dunderway
06-28-10, 23:45
Ok so they want a Judge but don't want a Taurus. I sure as hell don't blame them.

They are basically letting Ruger and S&W know that there IS a REAL market (or buyer) for a Judge type revolver but they aren't blatantly coming out and saying Taurus sucks.

They have to be fair ya know? :p

How are you getting all of that out of a simple Sources Sought? If anything they could be setting themselves up for a protest-free, sole-source procurement from Taurus. They could also have someone who drafts very poorly written requirements statements, which wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

OP: A Sources Sought, is basically the Government saying "Hey industry, if you have anything that fits this description then send it our way, because we would like to check it out." They are generally issued before a full on solicitation.

MechEng
06-29-10, 16:44
They are just simply following the FAR (Federal Acquisition Regulations). According to the FAR, the government must compete contracts when ever possible. The exceptions being an urgent need, only one available source, proprietary technology, etc... Some one at Picatinny probably wants to procure the Judge for testing but needs to show their contracting office (KO) they did some market research first by using FBO.

Dunderway
06-29-10, 20:15
They might not want a Taurus. I have no idea. From the description it looks like there are looking for some sort of airman survival type of pistol. Taurus may or may not fit that.

I guess there could also be others out there making something similar that just haven't marketed it as the end all be all of defensive pistols like Taurus.

Wasn't the lunatic in that movie Three Kings carrying around some weird .410 snubbie?

ETA: Yeah, this thing: http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Thunder_5