PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for USPSA LEO only match in Fairbanks Alaska. Range Report

Alaskapopo
06-28-10, 23:18
RANGE REPORT 6-28-10

Relaxing with the Larue Stealth.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AR%20style%20rifles/Laruedesc.jpg
I came out to the range to work on my pistol skills for an up coming LEO match in Fairbanks. Last year I got 1st place and the year before than 2nd. I won a gun each year so I want to make sure I keep my edge because there are some guys that really want to beat me. I started out however just shooting some groups with my Larue Stealth. I love shooting this gun. It’s the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Here are the groups.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Targets/Laruegroups6-28-10.jpg

The best group was .338. The average for the 4 5 shot groups was .543 The 10 shot group I fired came in at 1.066.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Targets/Laruegroup338.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Targets/10shotgroupLarue.jpg

PISTOL QUALIFICAITON COURSE:

Then I fired a few Alaska State Trooper Qualification Courses to warm up. Their course is a bit different than mine. But its what I based mine off of originally and I shoot it from time to time to see where I am at. Since it’s the first course I fired when I was in the academy.

Here is the course. Uses a standard USPSA target and 48 rounds of ammunition.

Stage 1. 2 yards.

From the low ready fire 2 rounds center mass and one to the head in 3 seconds.
Repeat once.

Stage 3. 7 yards.

From the holster draw and fire 2 rounds to center mass and one to the head in 5 seconds. Repeat once.

Stage 3. 25 yards.

From the holster. Draw and fire 6 rounds in 20 seconds to center mass.

Stage 4. 10 yards.

From the holster draw and fire 6 rounds weapon hand only, perform a mandatory reload and switch hands to your support hand only and fire 6 more rounds in 35 seconds.

Stage 5. 7 yards.

From the holster draw and fire 2 rounds to center mass in 3 seconds. Repeat twice.

Stage 8. 2 yards.

From the holster draw and fire 2 rounds in 2.5 seconds. Repeat twice.

Stage 9. 2 yards.

From low ready fire 2 rounds to center mass in 1.5 seconds. Repeat twice.

Scoring is as follows.

Overtimes are -5
Extra shots are -5
A zone is 5 points.
B zone is worth 4 points except on stages 1 and 2 where its worth 1 point. (when aiming at the head you only get 1 point for the B zone)
C zone is worth 4 points.
D zone is worth 1 point.

192 is passing
216 is required to be on their SWAT team or to be a firearms instructor.
230 is expert.
240 is the total possible.

I shot my Wilson in my duty gear.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/WilsonCQB.jpg

My first qualification was 234, the second one I fired was 232.

Remedial drills.

I then started working on some practical drills.

I place two USPSA targets at 15 yards and they were 4 yards apart. I put a hostage target over each target with the hostage covering half of the A zone on the body. These type of shots get me some times in competition as I sometimes flinch my first shot right into the hostages head. So I am working on making my first shot fast and accurately.
String 1.

1. 5.29
2. 4.91
3. 5.07
4. 4.89
5. 4.76
Hits on targets

T1 6A, 4B/C
T2 2 A 8B/C

Average time 4.98

String 2.

1. 5.11
2. 4.96
3. 4.53
4. 5.16 (hit hostage)
5. 5.28
Hits
T1 4A 5 B/C 1 Miss 1 hostage
T2 4A 5 B/C 1D

String 3

1. 5.21
2. 4.75
3. 4.59
4. 4.71
5. 4.81 (Hostage hit)
Hits
T1 7A 2C 1M 1 Hostage
T2 4 A 6C

RELOADING SPEED
Then I moved to reloading.
I placed two targets at 7 yards. I would draw and fire 1 round with an empty mag on one target and then do a run dry reload and fire one more round on the second target. Below is the reload times only.

1. 2.32
2. 2.33
3. 2.35
4. 2.64
5. 2.35
6. 2.26
7. 2.44
8. 2.22
9. 2.50
Average run dry reload time 2.38

I also did 5 standard USPSA style speed loads. (chamber still hot)

1. 2.14
2. 2.14
3. 2.24
4. 1.98
5. 2.15
Average time for speed load 2.13

DRAWING

I then worked on my draw speed which has been an area of weakness for me. I shot 2 rounds from my duty rig at a standard USPSA target at 7 yards. All shots hit the A zone except 3 C zone hits. No D’s

1. 1.78
2. 1.83
3. 1.72
4. 1.84
5. 1.74

Average time 1.782

Then I practiced drawing and shooting 1 shot to the head from 7 yards.

1. 1.91
2. 2.37
3. 2.78
4. 2.15
5. 2.06
Average time 2.25

I then did the same thing except I started with the pistol in the low ready.

1. 1.04
2. .99
3. .96
4. .93
5. .92

Average time .968

Just shows a gun in the hand always beats one in the holster. But that goes in the DUH category. I also had a lot more A zone head hits from low ready.

AST QUALIFICATION AGAIN.

I shot one last qualification to wind down. The times are generous and I slowed down on purpose to see if I could get a perfect score and I did.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Targets/ASTQUAL240.jpg

After that I shot two 5 round groups with my Wilson off hand at 25 yards. I always start my practice and end my practice working on just accuracy. I find it relaxing.

Here are the two groups I fired off hand at 25 yards.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Targets/WilsonJHPgroup.jpg http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Targets/Wilsonleadbulletgroup.jpg

Not great but ok. The match is on July 17th in Fairbanks. I will keep you posted. Most of the year I have been working on my rifle skills and now I need to focus on my handgun skills for the next few weeks.
Pat

Cold
06-29-10, 20:37
Getting ready for USPSA LEO only match in Fairbanks Alaska. Range Report

I didnt think USPSA could restrict a match as LEO only
and still be USPSA sanctioned? Can you clarify that? Im curious since you have the USPSA prefix on your match announcement.

Alaskapopo
06-29-10, 22:09
I didnt think USPSA could restrict a match as LEO only
and still be USPSA sanctioned? Can you clarify that? Im curious since you have the USPSA prefix on your match announcement.

It works like this. The Alaska Peace Officers Association hires the local USPSA club to put on a match for cops. Its not sanctioned. Its just a match. All prizes are provided by the APOA who in turn gets them from sponsors. The good news for me is the rules are USPSA which I am familiar with. There are other APOA matches around the state and they run their own rules which can vary from ok to silly. The one variance in the rules at this match is everyone stays hot. Which I love. Some guys show up on duty and shoot the match. Its stupid in my opinion to have a cold range but that is another topic.
Pat

Cold
06-29-10, 22:16
It works like this. The Alaska Peace Officers Association hires the local USPSA club to put on a match for cops. Its not sanctioned. Its just a match. All prizes are provided by the APOA who in turn gets them from sponsors. The good news for me is the rules are USPSA which I am familiar with. There are other APOA matches around the state and they run their own rules which can vary from ok to silly. The one variance in the rules at this match is everyone stays hot. Which I love. Some guys show up on duty and shoot the match. Its stupid in my opinion to have a cold range but that is another topic.
Pat

Got it. I was asking this question on another site. I know some groups like the NRA holds LEO only events, I just had not heard of USPSA doing it.

Alaskapopo
06-29-10, 22:20
Got it. I was asking this question on another site. I know some groups like the NRA holds LEO only events, I just had not heard of USPSA doing it.

Its not really USPSA holding it but rather the club which happens to be a USPSA club. By the way you never answered my PM about your switching scopes from the Swarovski to the S&B short dot?
Pat

Cold
06-30-10, 15:44
Its not really USPSA holding it but rather the club which happens to be a USPSA club. By the way you never answered my PM about your switching scopes from the Swarovski to the S&B short dot?
Pat

I don't believe I ever received the message. I like the SD reticle better personally.