PDA

View Full Version : HK introduces new polymer mag for HK416 and G36

variablebinary
06-29-10, 01:20
Lets see if this mag is any better than the last overrated, overpriced HK416 magazine.

Pmags are cheap too, and they work great, so that's another factor

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/REMOV/Inne/_HK416_NewMag_01.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/REMOV/Inne/_HK416_NewMag_04.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/REMOV/Inne/_HK416_NewMag_02.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/REMOV/Inne/_HK416_NewMag_03.jpg

Notice the G35 STANAG adapter
http://altair.com.pl/files/news/2010/06/i-i10-06-058hk03.jpg

infidelprodigy
06-29-10, 03:12
Between conversations with engineers from Magpul, Tangodown and US PALM, I am very suspect of clear or smoke polymer products and how well they will stand up. All of the above professionals agree that the more color pigment added weakens the polymer. Smoke or clear polymer is some of the weakest made, with the strongest being plain black.

Who knows, maybe HK has stolen alien technology that they used to make those mags. Rest assured they'll probably sell like they do.....:rolleyes:

Slinger646
06-29-10, 08:24
Rest assured they'll probably sell like they do.....:rolleyes:

Because we suck and they hate us.

Coming from the AK world, clear/translucent or smoked mags often crack unless there is metal reinforcement somewhere along the line.

kmrtnsn
06-29-10, 08:43
Never had a problem with cracking with the translucent AUG magazines.

decodeddiesel
06-29-10, 09:09
Because we suck and they hate us.

Coming from the AK world, clear/translucent or smoked mags often crack unless there is metal reinforcement somewhere along the line.

True, Bulgy Circle 10 "smoked" come to mind as being much more fragile than the Bulgy Circle 10 black mags. However one thing to keep in mind is that nearly all of the AK plastic mags are made in Former Soviet Union countries which are severely behind the materials curve when compared to the Germans and especially HK. Honestly if there is somewhere that can do it right it's Germany. However as it's been said unless these are going to MSRP for $20 or so they are going to have a hard time trying to compete with the PMAG. I am interested to see how this pans out.

OT, but VB, is that an IAR in the first pic or is the MR556 going to have a bayonet lug?

Entropy
06-29-10, 09:12
OT, but VB, is that an IAR in the first pic or is the MR556 going to have a bayonet lug?

Looks like it. Who uses bayonets anymore?

TOrrock
06-29-10, 09:24
Looks like it. Who uses bayonets anymore?

USMC.

Slinger646
06-29-10, 10:07
......However one thing to keep in mind is that nearly all of the AK plastic mags are made in Former Soviet Union countries which are severely behind the materials curve when compared to the Germans and especially HK......

I think too much credit is being given to HK just because they are German and HK.....We are the cats ass when it comes to technology....clear promags still suck.

I'll wait until someone who can afford one does some real world T&E before I start waving their flag.

eternal24k
06-29-10, 10:07
I actually like smoke mags, but I realize their limitations as far as strength and durability. Tmag? Please...
$75 Hk mag?
no thanks, i can get $17 Lancers that I know work 100%

Slinger646
06-29-10, 10:11
USMC.

Bayos were fixed in fallujah...

and the Scotch..

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1138046/posts

TOrrock
06-29-10, 10:19
Bayos were fixed in fallujah...

and the Scotch..

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1138046/posts

Scotch is a drink....Scotsmen are from Scotland. ;)

decodeddiesel
06-29-10, 10:45
I think too much credit is being given to HK just because they are German and HK.....We are the cats ass when it comes to technology....clear promags still suck.

I'll wait until someone who can afford one does some real world T&E before I start waving their flag.

Trust me on this, we are not "the cat's ass" when it come to thermo-plastics, Germany is. Germany is years ahead of us in this area (and many other areas) of chemistry.

Also even mentioning Promag and HK in the same sentence is beyond rediculous.

Hunter Rose
06-29-10, 13:32
HK has been making transluscent/smoke colored polymer mags for years in the G-36. Unless there are widespread reports of durability issues with those, I'd feel pretty safe in the durability of these new AR mags. HK does have a pretty extensive engineering history when it comes to polymer.

I'm glad to see HK hopefully fixing the problems with their steel magazines. I can't see how they will possible be cheaper the PMAGs though, so the value may not be there, but I'll be able to keep the future MR556 all HK, so let the Kool-aid gods be praised!

Seraph
06-29-10, 13:37
I guess I'd buy at least one, for taking photos to post on the internet.

NickB
06-29-10, 17:33
HK has been making transluscent/smoke colored polymer mags for years in the G-36. Unless there are widespread reports of durability issues with those, I'd feel pretty safe in the durability of these new AR mags. HK does have a pretty extensive engineering history when it comes to polymer.

You're missing a big part of the equation here - making a polymer magazine for the G36 is in no way the same as making a polymer magazine for the M4/M16/416. By comparison, the G36 is a walk in the park due to its generous magazine well dimensions which were designed to allow for a polymer magazine. The M4/M16/416 does not provide such a luxury.

I've seen, touched, squeezed, and taken these HK magazines apart, but have not used them on the range. I may eat my words in the coming months/years, but it is very apparent that HK is at least four years late to this ballgame, and they have a lot of catching up to do. That said, competition drives innovation and promotes quality, so everyone should be excited to see another player in the polymer magazine game. Best of luck to HK in this endeavor.

Dave_M
06-29-10, 20:09
Lancer's seem to hold up just fine. (course' a little metal in the feed lips helps). Seems that they took the opposite end and made a more flexible magazine that would be resistant to impact as opposed to try and make a harder one.

Dunderway
06-29-10, 22:55
Is the translucent PMag still in the works or was that shit-canned?

Most of what I've read about the Lancers has been really positive, are they not aging well?

chadbag
06-30-10, 01:06
I am not plastics guy. However, I believe the Lancers are made of polycarbonate, which is a different sort of polymer than what Magpul and other polymer makers use.

variablebinary
06-30-10, 01:28

Most of what I've read about the Lancers has been really positive, are they not aging well?

Mine have been fine after a couple of years of regular use.

The only gun I have that doesnt like them is my Robinson M96

Frens
06-30-10, 02:31

as far as I know it was designed to be a training only mag

LancerSystems
06-30-10, 07:01
I am not plastics guy. However, I believe the Lancers are made of polycarbonate, which is a different sort of polymer than what Magpul and other polymer makers use.

NO. Our magazines are NOT made from POLYCARBONATE.

but you are correct, it's nothing like the nylons that the other guys use.

The real test of the material durability is drop testing the magazine at 160F and -40F.

BTW our L5A's with the modified rib design will run in the H&K416.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-30-10, 07:16
Interesting stuff. I suspect HK has done a good job on these.

Celt
06-30-10, 09:14
Depending on price I'll get one, just to have it.

Rumor has it HK will sell both the complete rifle and uppers for those w/std. lowers. Let's hope it's before 12/31/10!

Entropy
06-30-10, 09:27
Rumor has it HK will sell both the complete rifle and uppers for those w/std. lowers. Let's hope it's before 12/31/10!

+1

The MR556 is the only non DI/3rd generation carbine that really catches my interests.

Hunter Rose
06-30-10, 14:52
You're missing a big part of the equation here - making a polymer magazine for the G36 is in no way the same as making a polymer magazine for the M4/M16/416. By comparison, the G36 is a walk in the park due to its generous magazine well dimensions which were designed to allow for a polymer magazine. The M4/M16/416 does not provide such a luxury.

I've seen, touched, squeezed, and taken these HK magazines apart, but have not used them on the range. I may eat my words in the coming months/years, but it is very apparent that HK is at least four years late to this ballgame, and they have a lot of catching up to do. That said, competition drives innovation and promotes quality, so everyone should be excited to see another player in the polymer magazine game. Best of luck to HK in this endeavor.

NickB, Thanks for the above. That's why I love this site, where manufacturers/SMEs in the know point out details I had never thought of.