PDA

View Full Version : 6/29/10 Self defense in the news.

Irish
06-29-10, 12:31
I haven't been posting these as frequently due to being crazy busy with work and not wanting to flood the GD section anymore but this story brought a smile to my face. Reminded me of my Grandad in the day.
SC - http://www.wyff4.com/news/24068226/detail.html

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- A man who deputies say burglarized a home got more than he bargained for when the gun-toting, tough-talking homeowner caught and held him until deputies showed up.

Ken Easler, 73, said he went into his home on Jones Road before heading to the farmer’s market on Saturday morning when he heard someone inside the house.

"I was taking produce to the market," he said. "I was going in the house to get something to drink."

Easler said when he went into the house, he heard someone upstairs. He grabbed his gun and waited for the person to come downstairs.

"I put the clip in and jacked one in the chamber, and when I did, he had already started down the steps. He sat down. He sat down and held onto the rail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"(He) started saying stuff like, 'I had to use the bathroom so bad. I had to use your bathroom. I was walking down the road and I had this big urge to use that bathroom.'"

But Easler wasn’t having it.

"I told him, you know, ‘You'd better shut up and don't make any sudden moves.’"

Easler ushered him through the house at gunpoint.

"I put him in the bathroom and I told him, I said, ‘If you close the door,’ I said, ‘I'm going to fill it full of bullet holes, so don't close the door.’

"He was saying stuff like, 'I've never done anything like this before. If you let me go, I'll never do it again.’ He said, ‘I don't have anything. I didn't take anything.'

Easler called 911.

"I said, ‘We'll, I've got an intruder in my house and I've got him at gunpoint.’"

He said the man then tried to get sympathy from him.

"He started like hyper-ventilating. He said, 'I've got to have water -- my heart -- I've got to have water.'

"At one point, he started faking a cry like a baby would cry. I said, ‘Shut up, that don't work either.' I said, 'You became a man when you came in my house.' and I said, ‘I don't want to hear no crying.'”

Deputies said when they arrived, they found Easler pointing his gun at a man, later identified as Douglas Nickerson, who was lying on the bathroom floor.

Deputies said when they searched Nickerson, they found two rolls of dollar bills in his pocket. They put Nickerson in the back seat of the patrol car. They then asked Easler if he kept any cash in the house. Easler said he kept dollar bills in bundles of $50. The money was earned from sales at the farmer’s market.

The money in Nickerson pocket was two bundles totaling $100. Nickerson was charged with residential burglary, unlawful entry and theft.

Easler said he had never seen Nickerson before, and he has lived in the house since 1967.

The 73-year-old said he wasn’t worried during his encounter with Nickerson.

"I knew I had it under control because when I told him put his hands up, I told him, ‘Don't you take them down.’ I said, ‘If you do, I'm going to shoot you.’"

Irish
06-29-10, 12:33
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/akron_canton_news/sleeping-store-owner-shoots-suspected-burglar

AKRON, Ohio - Akron police said a store owner shot a suspect as he tried to break into his shop overnight.

The owner of Pioneer Market on Pioneer Street said he was sleeping in the store at about 3 a.m. when he heard a knock at the front door and then the opening of a rear door.

Police said the owner confronted the suspects with a shotgun and fired a shot.

Several minutes later, officers received a call from Akron General Medical Center about a patient with a gunshot wound to the left arm. Johnny R. Rollyson, 19, of Beardsley Street in Akron, was identified as one of the suspects involved in the burglary at the market.

Rollyson had been charged with burglary.

The second person has not been identified. The case is still under investigation.

Irish
06-29-10, 12:34
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/jun/28/man-kill-burglars-south-knoxville/

KNOXVILLE - The shootings that killed two men identified as burglars in a South Knox County mobile home will be referred to the Knox County District Attorney General's Office, according to the Knox County Sheriff's Office.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Martha Dooley would not elaborate this afternoon on the reason for the review. No charges have been filed against Douglas Jordan III, who shot both of the black-clad intruders as he returned to his Love Lane mobile home off the 8000 block of Chapman Highway at 11:18 p.m. Sunday.

Authorities identified one of the dead men as Jimmy Cannon, 39, of Knoxville. Cannon had no local criminal history, but he had served time in prison for armed robbery in Georgia, Dooley said.

The second burglar's identity has not been released, pending notification of next of kin.

"According to officers, the men were burglarizing the home when Jordan arrived," Dooley said.

Both men were dressed in black. One man wore a ski mask while the second wore a bandana over his face, she said.

When Jordan arrived, the men "tried to overpower him," Dooley said, but he was armed and shot the men.

"Both were dead when officers arrived," Dooley said.

More detail as they develop online and in Tuesday's News Sentinel.

Stay out of the news. ;)

jaxman7
06-29-10, 15:59
Irish thanks for taking the time to post these. The first one is hysterical to me. I can just picture a pissed off 73 year old man saying all that. Great stuff!

Irish
06-29-10, 16:23
Irish thanks for taking the time to post these. The first one is hysterical to me. I can just picture a pissed off 73 year old man saying all that. Great stuff!

Absolutely! The first one made me laugh too. Kind of made me think of Gran Torino as well.

jaxman7
06-29-10, 18:48
Yeh same here!!!! Eastwood:

"I'll blow a hole in your face then go inside and sleep like a baby"

"I used to stack ****s likes you five feet high in Korea... use ya for sand bags"

ForTehNguyen
06-30-10, 08:36
this happened yesterday too in Houston:
http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Burglary-suspect-shot-by-15-year-old-son-of-deputy-97430719.html?commentPage=0#comments

Investigators: 15-year-old son of deputy shoots burglary suspect

by Shern-Min Chow / 11 News

khou.com

Posted on June 29, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Updated yesterday at 11:29 PM
Related:

* Raw: Deputy constable's teenage son shoots burglary suspect

HOUSTON – The teenage son of a Harris County Precinct 1 deputy shot a home intruder Tuesday afternoon in the 2600 block of Royal Place in northwest Harris County, deputies said.

The 15-year-old boy and his 12-year-old sister had been home alone in the Mount Royal Village subdivision when around 2:30 p.m. a pair of burglars tried the front and back doors, then broke a back window.

The teenager grabbed his father's assault rifle and knew what to do with it.

“We don't try to hide things from our children in law enforcement,” Lt. Jeffrey Stauber said. “That young boy was protecting his sister. He was in fear for his life and her life.”

The home invaders fled, leaving a trail of blood.

Shortly afterwards, two suspects showed up at Tomball hospital. One was an adult and was hit at least three times. Lifeflight flew him to Memorial Hermann hospital in the Medical Center. The second suspect, a juvenile, was taken back to the crime scene, authorities said.

Neighbors said burglars had recently struck the two houses next door, including the deputy's home.

“They stole everything -- what they have inside. They already did it one time,” Rafael Cortez said.

someone got AR15ed.

Irish
06-30-10, 10:36
this happened yesterday too in Houston:
http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Burglary-suspect-shot-by-15-year-old-son-of-deputy-97430719.html?commentPage=0#comments

Good find. Another reason to teach children about firearms rather than leaving them curious & ignorant so that they get themselves in trouble.