PDA

View Full Version : Show Me The Light and Give Me Sight!!!

Big Willy
06-29-10, 14:21
I’m an FNG working on finishing the set-up of my first M4 (AR) platform weapon. I have got some great input from a number of very helpful people on this forum to get me this far (once again, THANK YOU). Now I need assistance with Light, Mount and Optic selection from the great minds on this forum.

Here is what I have thus far:

• Daniel Defense Lower built up by Grant @ G&R Tactical
• Daniel Defense BCG from Grant @ G&R Tactical
• BCM 16” Mid-Length Upper Assembly with the Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sight Base
• Daniel Defense Omega Rail 9 Mid-Length
• I wear glasses, am left eye dominate and right handed (I know… sucks to be me) just in case this is a factor in selecting the items in question.

At this time I plan on using the weapon for Target, Hunting and Home Protection. Close up to 200 yards or so is what I’m thinking for ranges.

I’ve been reading and looking at many posts thus far. I THINK I want to mount the light so it is at the 11:00 position (high and centered as possible). Given my fixed front sight (not able to do the 12:00 position); I believe this is the optimum position. Am I correct? If not, what is and why?

• What would be my best bet for a Light mount? Offset type or other? Brand?

• What light would you suggest and why? I’m leaning toward Surefire brand for the quality and mounting options. I’m not sure of what model though. Function/Power and battery life are important. The new Vampire is interesting with the IR capability (major $$$) for future growth options (night time operation). At this time I’m thinking a push button tail cap is best. What is the best “Bang” for the buck???

Regarding the sight part of the inquiry, I have had input from the forum prior and think I’m leaning toward the Aimpoint brand. A few have suggested the C3 model. The T-1 looks interesting as well.

• What Optic would fit my weapon and shooting requirements best and why? If C3, is this the same as the “CompM3 and Comp ML3”?

• What Optic Mount is best for this set-up? I think I want Complete Co-Witness (Iron Sights and Dot are aligned). Any reason for not going with this?

I have no forward grip thus far. I’m leaning toward the Magpul AFG-2 (when available) just in case this is a factor too. Suggestions on this part are welcome.

Sorry for all of the FNG dumb-a$$ questions but… as I found on this forum “it’s better to buy once and cry once than to buy several times because you screwed up”.

A major thank you in advance for any and all input! :D

Best regards,

Willy

trappernana
06-29-10, 14:50
I lean towards the Surefire scout,right now I have a M900 and it's heavy. I like that it kills 2 birds w/ 1 stone but I'm would prefer a lighter fore-end grip.As far as optics you can't go wrong w/ Aimpoint for the price range. Don't skimp on mounts.If you buy a 2000.00 Trijicon and it looses it's zero, or worse falls off all together, you're Fu*&ed. Stick with Larue.All the best to you and yours.Take care of yourself and all the loved ones around you Willy.;)

RD62
06-29-10, 15:47
I'd look into a Streamlight PolyTac LED and a VLTOR Offset Scout Mount, either standard or QD, mounted to the top rail for an 11:00 or 1:00 presentation.

I have found the PolyTac LED to be a great bang for the buck, and think that coupled with the VLTOR mount it makes for a great package. I have and use several Surefire lights as well and I like the G2L and/or a G2 or G3 with a Malakoff drop-in LED lamp. One think I like about the Streamlight is that it comes with a lock-out "clickie" style tail-cap unlike the G series from Surefire. This feature helps to prevent accidental activation during storage, and keeps you from finding the batteries dead when you need them.

All 3 of these lights are bright, have good beams, good battery life, and good build quality.

There are other options, and certainly more expensive options, but I have found these setups to perform very well.

As for optics, the C3 is a good one as is the H-1. If you feel the need for greater water resistance or have the need for night-vision compatibility look to the M3, ML3, or T-1. All provide great ruggedness and phenomenal battery life. You can literally leave them on all the time, and only change the battery once every year or so (to be safe). Mounts from Larue, ADM, BoBro, etc will serve you well and some allow for quick detachment and repeatable return to zero. You may wanna try a few to see what your preferences are and if you prefer and absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness. I ran absolute co-witness for a while, and it's completely doable, but after a while decided I wanted a less cluttered field of view, and move to lower 1/3 mounts. Again try if you can before buying.

Good luck!

-RD62

BigBoss0311
06-29-10, 16:44
Visit the LaRue website. You cannot go wrong with anything you get from there. Check out the mount/light and mount/optic combos. LaRue makes great products, has great CS and you get a ton of free swag. I have never used an Aimpoint so I wouldn't know about them but to co-witness I would go with an EOTech. It will not line up with the BUIS though if that is a big deal to you. For express purposes this should help you out:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=78
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=16

Big Willy
06-30-10, 08:53
A big thank you to all who have provided input thus far!!! These items are the ones which I’m struggling with the most prior to purchase.

Any additional input would be gratefully accepted.

Best regards,

Willy