PDA

View Full Version : Low Profile Gas Block

snellkid
06-29-10, 17:53
I'm going to install a low profile gas block on a new barrel install, the gas block will be a set screw type, my question is do I need to dimple the lower side of the barrel for the set srews. If yes easiest way.

number1olddog
06-29-10, 18:19
I would. Just one dimple should do it. Bravo Company has a great tool for that.

Col_Crocs
06-29-10, 19:11
Definitely. Dimpling is the bare minimum IMHO. As stated above, BRDE has a very good jig for it.
Depending on whether or not it is exposed, or if you plan on running it hard, you may want to pin it as well.

Sambo526
06-29-10, 19:42
I asked the same question about a month ago. I just installed a Troy Lo pro gas block on my rifle. I heard mixed opinions on wether or not to dimple the barrel. I spoke with the manufacturer and they said that it was not necessary to dimple the barrel when installing a LPGB. I ended up following their instructions. I did secure the set screws with blue locktite per the Troy's instructions. So far, I have had no problems and my rifle works better than ever. I would talk to whoever makes the LPGB. It does sound like it would be more secure to dimple the barrel, but if the manufacturer says I don't need it, I will tend to stick with their recommendations.

shadow65
06-29-10, 20:04
Could a guy just mount the gas block and drill a hole through the bottom, just dimpling the barrel with the bit. Then tapping the hole and use a set screw to tighten it?
I ask because I have a clamp on and would like to secure it better.

5pins
06-29-10, 22:33
Could a guy just mount the gas block and drill a hole through the bottom, just dimpling the barrel with the bit. Then tapping the hole and use a set screw to tighten it?

I don’t see why not.

spamsammich
06-29-10, 22:36

That would work, I recommend cup tip set screws and you may want to stake it in place or use red loctite on it to keep it from moving. Though if you have a good drill press and fixturing, you might as well pin it.

Sparky5019
06-30-10, 15:49
Snellie,

This is the jig that I use too!

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BRDE-Fixture-for-Dimpling-Barrels-p/brdejig1.htm

Sparky (Harland)