PDA

View Full Version : Not sure my new Aimpoint is as bright as it should be

markush
06-29-10, 22:11
I just received my first Aimpoint CompM3 2MOA a couple days ago and I'm thinking it might not be as bright as it should be. I am not able to find a retailer in my area so I can compare mine to another and I don't know anyone with one so maybe you guys can help me figure out if I need to contact Aimpoint. Two new batteries were tried to rule that out.

What setting do you guys use for defensive drills in sunlight? I haven't been able to shoot it yet but messing around in the back yard I find that the dot is not bright enough to see easily at anything under setting 9 of 10. I would be able to use 8 sitting at the bench shooting groups but any of the daylight settings under that is useless, levels 5-7).

I was able to compare it side by side with a forum members H-1 today. With both at their max setting the H-1 was a lot brighter, but that may be apples to oranges since the H-1 is 4MOA and has 13 brightness setting. Would the 4MOA or 3 extra levels make it appear much brighter or should my CompM3 have been able to keep up?

spamsammich
06-29-10, 22:24
...I am not able to find a retailer in my area so I can compare mine to another and I don't know anyone with one so maybe you guys can help me figure out if I need to contact Aimpoint...

You should contact Aimpoint. ALWAYS contact the manufacturer first before posting as per forum rule #4.

markush
06-30-10, 10:52
Ive read rule 4...I interpret it to mean, maybe incorrectly, not to come in here belittling products/manufactures.

I tried to say that since I don't have any experience with Aimpoints maybe people who do could help me out. I asked what setting others use in a specific situation. I asked if comparing it to an H-1 is a fair comparison. I asked if others with far greater experience then me think it would be a waste of time and shipping expenses to send this back to Aimpoint.

I thought gaining and sharing knowledge was the purpose of forums. I was doing nothing but seeking knowledge.

Before I go I Just need to say that I rarely find the need to ask others for help. I am quite proficient with search engines in finding the information that I need. Believe me, I have searched for an answer to my question for 2 days before posting this call for help...thanks for your help.

militarymoron
06-30-10, 11:50
markush - your post was fine, IMHO. i interpret rule #4 to mean that you contact the manufacturer or dealer once it has been determined that there's an issue. asking for help to determine whether there's an issue in the first place is fine.

from my own experience with aimpoint comps, in bright sunlight i have to use the brightest setting or one below it.
now, if you cannot see the dot in bright sunlight at the highest setting, then there may be an issue. so, as long as you can see a dot under all conditions you'll be using it, i wouldn't worry about what setting it's at.

opmike
06-30-10, 14:25
from my own experience with aimpoint comps, in bright sunlight i have to use the brightest setting or one below it.
at.

This has been my experience as well.

Blowby
06-30-10, 16:02
CompM2 - 2nd to highest setting in bright sunlight on mine as well.

Titleist
06-30-10, 16:09
Even on my T-1 I have to run at setting 9 or 10, but in lower lights it's more like 6-7. The sun really washes them out depending on time of day and weather.

PRTrooper
06-30-10, 22:12
I really feel that the 4 MOA dot is the way to go for anything close to CQB. Turn in up for bright light, turn it down for dense shaded woodland. You'll never out-shoot a 4 MOA dot with an M4 anyways (99% of us) so why try to squint with a 2 MOA dot? The 4 MOA is quicker to pick up and with the flexibility why take the chance?

shootist~
06-30-10, 23:09
My Comp ML3 2MOA Dot takes the next to highest setting in bright sunlight as well.

Dot size is also a function of the individuals eyesight. With some stigmatization it will appear bigger. My 2 MOA dot is perceived by my eye to be about 6 MOA, (somewhat less if I sight through the irons). It took me a long time to understand why I hated my ML2 with a size 4 dot.

It sounds like the OP's problem is just good eyesight. ;)

opmike
07-01-10, 03:50
I really feel that the 4 MOA dot is the way to go for anything close to CQB. Turn in up for bright light, turn it down for dense shaded woodland. You'll never out-shoot a 4 MOA dot with an M4 anyways (99% of us) so why try to squint with a 2 MOA dot? The 4 MOA is quicker to pick up and with the flexibility why take the chance?

A 2 MOA dot doesn't force "squinting", nor would one be "taking a chance" by using one. Ultimately, it comes down to user preference. No skilled shooter is going to be markedly disadvantaged by the 2 MOA difference between the two Aimpoints :rolleyes:

markush
07-03-10, 03:13
Thanks guys. I guess I got hung up on the part where Aimpoint uses setting 7 to claim a 50,000 hour battery life...I was thinking setting 7 should be more usable then I was experiencing.

Funny thing is that I was leaning heavily toward the 4MOA version when I found the deal I got. A free ADM Cantilever mount and double battery kit with the purchase of the 2MOA only. I know if I find a 4MOA CompM3 to do a side by side with mine that I'll want the 4 instead.

Dos Cylindros
07-03-10, 10:54
My T-1 says setting 8 for five years of continuous on. This is the ideal setting when my carbine is inside the house for HD, but when I go out into the mid day sun, it needs to go to 9 or 10 (usually 10). The lower "daylight" settings are primarily for use at dawn/dusk and inside buildings or under a forrest canopy where you don't want the dot to bloom out. No worries about having to run yours at a higher level as that is normal.

JSantoro
07-03-10, 14:05

^^Not the thrust of the original question, as well as based on person/shooter-specific data instead of the capabilities of the device. Just because I don't have to squint for either a 4, 3, or 2or 1MOA dot doesn't mean I'm gonna start slinging a bunch of horsecrap at you because my physiology doesn't mimic what yours does. That'd be more than just a bit presumptious. Please extend the same courtesy and further do not presume to tell anybody how well they can or cannnot shoot simply because you haven't cultivated the ability to match or surpass a certain standard. Your cited percentage does not match the human trends, and so is either from a lousy source or simply what you wish it were (i.e., totally made-up).

To the OP, perfectly normal. I just came away from a desert environment in which I had my ML3 set to 8 or 9 in full daylight with no clouds. That's the trend across the population of users. The Aimpoint rep I was working around while out there would tell you the same thing.