PDA

View Full Version : Quality difference in mfgr supplied A2 rear sights?

Chainshot09
06-29-10, 22:51
Hello, this is my first post here on this fine forum. I have a DPMS A2upper w/ a 16" barrell and iron sights chambered in 5.56mm. The lower is as DPMS also. My question pertains to my rear sight assembly and a problem I'm having with it. I zeroed the weapon to the modified 50 yd zero using the small peep sight per Lt. Colonel Chuck Santose's Improved Battlesight Zero. When I was done zeroing the weapon I then popped the 0-200 sight aperture up to check point of impact at 50 yds. While there was a 2 click elevation difference as to be expected between the small aperture to large; I had a windage error of 8" at 50 yds!! I can only conclude that the two apertures are not in-line with each other on the sight leaf due to a manufacturing error.
Has any one encountered this problem before and is there a fix for it? I don't mind replacing the whole rear sight assembly if a better quality one is available.

dashotgun
06-30-10, 11:10
I have a DD rear site I wills sell you cheaply it is a take off I have a troy battle site on it now email me if interested

500grains
06-30-10, 11:18
Has any one encountered this problem before and is there a fix for it? I don't mind replacing the whole rear sight assembly if a better quality one is available.

Best to chuck that one in the dumpster and get another. If you like a fold down sight, the ARMS 40 and 40L are excellent IMO, and I own several. The ARMS 40L folds low enough to not be in the way of an ACOG mounted on your flat top.

Troy also makes a nice folding rear sight.

The fixed rear sights are less money. LaRue and Daniel Defense make good ones. Troy makes one but I have not used it.

Chainshot09
06-30-10, 17:23
The weapon is an A2, therefore aftermarket fold down sights are not an option. I'm wondering if others have encountered the same problems of such a massive shift in point of impact from one aperture to the other. I am willing to replace the A2 rear sight on the weapon with a better one.

C-grunt
07-01-10, 11:19
That sucks. Have you called DPMS and see if they will warranty it?

thopkins22
07-01-10, 11:52
Hello, this is my first post here on this fine forum. I have a DPMS A2upper w/ a 16" barrell and iron sights chambered in 5.56mm. The lower is as DPMS also. My question pertains to my rear sight assembly and a problem I'm having with it. I zeroed the weapon to the modified 50 yd zero using the small peep sight per Lt. Colonel Chuck Santose's Improved Battlesight Zero. When I was done zeroing the weapon I then popped the 0-200 sight aperture up to check point of impact at 50 yds. While there was a 2 click elevation difference as to be expected between the small aperture to large; I had a windage error of 8" at 50 yds!! I can only conclude that the two apertures are not in-line with each other on the sight leaf due to a manufacturing error.

I hate to give any credit to DPMS, but there's likely nothing wrong with your aperture. That's the nature of the beast. The small aperture is supposed to do all of your shooting with the exception of close moving targets and low light. The problem isn't that both apertures aren't both centered, the problem is that they are.

It's pretty much impossible for you to be as accurate with the big aperture as you are with the small, the sight itself moves laterally as you flip it between the two, and on and on.

I would look into replacing it with one of the CSAT apertures and just using the notch for what you were previously using the big aperture for, or seeing if anyone makes a same plane sight that will work in an A2.

As a side note it the 0-2 doesn't really mean it's good from 0 to 200 yards/meters.

petergun870
07-01-10, 21:16
Time for another quality upgrade from troy :D