PDA

View Full Version : YM Bolt Info-FYI

payj
06-29-10, 23:45
I contacted YM today and the gentleman on the phone today said all their bolts come from either FN or CMT. He said their carriers are made of mil-spec steel. He gave my the steel # but I forget....just an fyi I know that they don't list their specs but I guess now you could assume they are hp, mpi tested since they are buying from those guys. That is unless he was lying to me lol....

bkb0000
06-30-10, 00:43
they have a great rep in the competition realm, and i own a YM NM BCG myself, but i'm almost certain they're not MPI nor HPT.

didnt think to ask when you had him on the telly?

payj
06-30-10, 01:03
they have a great rep in the competition realm, and i own a YM NM BCG myself, but i'm almost certain they're not MPI nor HPT.

didnt think to ask when you had him on the telly?

Just thought to call to see what some of their specs are since they don't list them......Not mpi or hp tested? Ok? Not going to argue, but don't those companies (fn cmt) do that?

bkb0000
06-30-10, 01:27
CMT does not HPT/MPI unless it's a special run for subs that request it. and then i believe it's just MPI, not HPT.

FN does both for their mil contract bolts, but it's anybody's guess if they do for ALL their bolts. unless specifically required/requested, i would imagine not, since it's more expensive and takes longer.

"MP" is usually stamped into the side of a bolt that is MPI'd. none of the young bolts i've seen have this stamp.

payj
06-30-10, 01:53
Ok, cool did not know that. I thought that those were military requirements. Thanks for the info.

bkb0000
06-30-10, 02:06
they are military requirements. but the manufacturers make bolts for commercial guns too. i wouldn't hazard a guess at FN's mil/civ ratio, but i would guess that the vast majority of CMT's bolts go in commercial guns, not DoD guns (i dont even know if CMT has any replacement part contracts with the DoD, but i would guess so). probably even the same for FN too.

different end-users, different specs.

500grains
06-30-10, 11:04
Not that it matters, but I have had good performance from two Young National Match AR15 BCGs.

scottryan
06-30-10, 16:36
FN does both for their mil contract bolts, but it's anybody's guess if they do for ALL their bolts. unless specifically required/requested, i would imagine not, since it's more expensive and takes longer.

FN doesn't have anything other than mil contact bolts.

bearstalker
06-30-10, 18:56
Sorry, noob question, but are we talking about Yankee Hill & Machine bolt and bolt carriers?

GaryXD
06-30-10, 18:59
Sorry, noob question, but are we talking about Yankee Hill & Machine bolt and bolt carriers?

no
http://youngmanufacturing.net/

payj
06-30-10, 20:14
Picked up my rifle a few hours ago. Went with the ym. I really liked how well finished it was. I wasn't too impressed with how the fz looked, but I'm sure it is just as good or better, so don't get after me for that lol. The gun smith told me all he runs is ym and he has been really happy with them. I called mega and they had nothing but good things to say too and that they were great in their mono uppers. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger. It also test fired just fine, cycled wolf w/o a problem. I went back and forth a lot on this one so I hope I made a good decision. If all else fails I will buy a bcm ionbond or a dennys ionbond. That said I have pretty good confidence in it. Thank you for everyone's help!

C4IGrant
06-30-10, 20:29
I contacted YM today and the gentleman on the phone today said all their bolts come from either FN or CMT. He said their carriers are made of mil-spec steel. He gave my the steel # but I forget....just an fyi I know that they don't list their specs but I guess now you could assume they are hp, mpi tested since they are buying from those guys. That is unless he was lying to me lol....

Why and how could you make any of these assumptions????

C4

payj
06-30-10, 21:10
Why and how could you make any of these assumptions????

C4

As you will read above I thought you could assume those things based on the fact they did in fact come from those manufactures. Bkb0000 kindly informed me that you cannot assume those things. I appreciate that.