PDA

View Full Version : I Need To Stop Chewing (Tobacco)!

Oscar 319
06-30-10, 15:42
Help me out guys. I have been chewing tobacco for nearly 20 years. I have quit a time or two and have started up again after some SHTF incident. I chew Copenhagen Pouches when ever I am not sleeping or eating. It is disgusting, unhealthy and expensive. Nicotine is a nasty drug. At times I feel as though it is the only thing that keeps me from choking the life out of stupid people.

I don't exactly have a stress free job or life. My life is ran by this stupid ****ing nicotine crutch. I am curious if any of you have quit and if you have any tips, tricks or advice? My wife is too damned pretty to kiss with a nasty chew mouth. My Son aspires to fly F-22's and my Daughter a Doctor. I would like to be around to see this.

Also, is there anyone here who wants to take the dive with me? Those who chew or have chewed will know that this his huge and it is hell to quit.

I have been looking at the following websites:
KillTheCan.org and MyLastDip.com

Thanks for any support or advice,

O319.

User Name
06-30-10, 16:56
I am in the same boat. Good luck.

DARK-KNIGHT
06-30-10, 18:10
I feel ya.....I need to quit myself. I have a buddy that quit by chewing the mint and jerky stuff. He said that part of the addiction was the oral fixation.

Oscar 319
06-30-10, 18:24
I'm quiting July 5th, the day (morning) after Independence Day. Who's in? Come July 4th 2011, I'll have one more thing to celebrate.

I think I'm going to register at www.killthecan.org and join thier forum. I have to do this.

For me, there is always an excuse. No excuses this time. I wife said we could go to her family reunion Monday (the 5th). Gulp! :eek: Holy ****ing shit. NO EXCUSES! Better get some nicotine gum.

Irish
06-30-10, 20:35
Why don't you quit drinking too! :eek::p;):D

I'm in the same boat with cigs... doesn't bother me much to quit until I have that first sip of a cold beer or some Jameson. And quitting cold beer by the pool while BBQ'ing in Vegas in the summer time is not gonna happen in this life time.

pilotguyo540
06-30-10, 20:38
Holy crap. I feel guilty now. I hate being a slave to copenhagen, but I like the product. Between a stressful job and marriage I resigned to failure. I will try and get to the website. I have tried stepping down incrementally in the past, but that does not work. For that reason I think the gum would be out too. I like the july 5th date. Count me in and wish me luck. Good luck to you guys too.

MarshallDodge
06-30-10, 20:44
Well all I can say is I wish you the best and if you need us then you know where to find us for support. :cool:

Oscar 319
06-30-10, 20:57
Why don't you quit drinking too! :eek::p;):D

I'm in the same boat with cigs... doesn't bother me much to quit until I have that first sip of a cold beer or some Jameson. And quitting cold beer by the pool while BBQ'ing in Vegas in the summer time is not gonna happen in this life time.

I may have to quit drinking for a minute :eek:

The next time YOU get me drunk I'll be nicotine free...which kinda sucks, but needs to happen.

Don't be a pansy. Quit the shit with me. For the baby....:)

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/florida-lexus-club/138303d1234063740-so-fla-caravan-to-venice-beach-on-feb-28-waterboy_2.jpg

Fyrhazzrd
06-30-10, 21:00
I have to admit the first time I quit smoking I did it by taking up chew. I hated chewing so much that it was easy to quit.

But if I actually liked chewing, then I don't know what I would have done.

Oscar 319
06-30-10, 21:01
Holy crap. I feel guilty now. I hate being a slave to copenhagen, but I like the product. Between a stressful job and marriage I resigned to failure. I will try and get to the website. I have tried stepping down incrementally in the past, but that does not work. For that reason I think the gum would be out too. I like the july 5th date. Count me in and wish me luck. Good luck to you guys too.

Hells yes! See you there man. Just thinking about it scares me to death. I don't know if it will help, but I registered at mylastdip.com and they already had someone contact me. They send support material and pay you $15 to do a couple of surveys about your quiting. Why not? Might as well commit.

thopkins22
06-30-10, 21:02
I stopped dipping by starting smoking.:mad: I decided that lung cancer was a less immediate health concern.:rolleyes:

Honestly, I haven't quit yet, but I'm a situational/bored addict. I can go for a long time without nicotine right until I drive, drink, eat, or take a break. So chances are that I'm not really addicted, I just like it. Convince yourself that you don't like it and I think you won't have any problems.

Good luck...let us know if you discover a super quitting method. Try to not eat yourself into oblivion....

OPPFOR
06-30-10, 21:10
I've been there. I did the same thing but rather than quit cold turkey, I progressively slowed my habit before the quit date.

For example...if you chew 20 times a day, slow it down to 10 times a day and make it every 1.5 hours with the last chew coming right before bed. This will help you get to sleep.

Keep cutting back till you hit your quit date. Ideally you should only have 1 or 2 chews the day before you quit. It will be hard to stop on the 5th if you go crazy and chew a couple cans on the 4th.

Oscar 319
06-30-10, 21:18
I stopped dipping by starting smoking.:mad: I decided that lung cancer was a less immediate health concern.:rolleyes:

Honestly, I haven't quit yet, but I'm a situational/bored addict. I can go for a long time without nicotine right until I drive, drink, eat, or take a break. So chances are that I'm not really addicted, I just like it. Convince yourself that you don't like it and I think you won't have any problems.

Good luck...let us know if you discover a super quitting method. Try to not eat yourself into oblivion....

Yep. I could quit in a heart beat....with a pack of Camel's. :cool: I am a slave to this shit. It needs to stop.

It is funny how I can make life and death decisions, calmly go head first into situations most folks run from and grin in the face of danger, yet I can't stop putting this nasty shit in my mouth. I would like to think I have more will power and control. Like it? I love it. And I hate it. It is a pain in my ass, mouth and pocket book.

I need to get back in shape and healthy again. Thanks for the encouragement.

I hate Copenhagen. ;)

Buckaroo
06-30-10, 22:22
One day at a time gentlemen.

Been there done that; both chew and cigs. I quit cigs by going back to chewing then quit chewing and drinking about the same time.

Do it for yourself and not for anyone else.

Although it may still be a bit attractive after a number of years, you cannot imagine how great it feels to be rid of the stuff!!!!

I remember being hungover from both nicotine and alcohol, never knew which one was worse since they were always combined.

Buckaroo

Irish
07-01-10, 00:48
Don't be a pansy. Quit the shit with me. For the baby....:)

Consider it a date. :) I just hit Shooters and Ceol Irish pub and I can tell you that Reno's a shithole! LOL! I'll be drinking & smoking my face off til the 5th and then it's game over... see ya in a few weeks and nicotine free!

Oscar 319
07-01-10, 05:37
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll205/chrishmush/clapping.gif

Nice.

Oscar 319
07-01-10, 05:59
From www.killthecan.org

I registered there; User name 10ninety6.

What To Expect When You Quit Dipping

So you want to quit. And you would like to know what it's like. We're not going to pull any punches around here, it's tough. That's why we're all here.

Days 1 through 3 - Pure hell. You will walk in the fog. Nothing will seem real. You're brain is wondering where the hell its fix is and it is going to punish you until you come up with it. 72 hours, that's all you need to get the nicotine out of your system. This is the only time you will go through physical withdrawal. Drink lots of water. Read, post, read and post. Don't take your anger out on your loved ones. We always tell everyone.........Make this quit about YOU. If you quit for your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, kids, mommy or daddy, you will resent them during this period. Quit for yourself and come in here to rant. Yell at us. Bitch at us. We can take it. We've been there.

Days 4 through 20 - Here comes the mind games. The nicotine is out of your system now. You will still have some physical things to deal with.

Cravings
Irritability,
Insomnia
Fatigue
Inability to Concentrate
Headache
Sore throat
Constipation, gas, stomach pain
Dry mouth
Sore tongue and/or gums
Yep, you have this to look forward to. Your brain is rewiring itself. It isn't used to being in an oxygen rich environment. Your body is responding in kind. Everything is a mind game now. All the cravings you have are actually due to triggers. Triggers are events where you are in a situtation you would normally dip in. Mowing the grass, playing poker online, playing golf, working on the car.........you get the picture. Keep drinking water, use seeds, the fake stuff, whatever you need to keep the dip out of your mouth. Remember, oral fixation is part of our habit, something you will eventually need to break. For now though, use all the tools you have.

Days 20 - 50 - You're winning. Life isn't great, but you probably had a couple of nights where you actually got some sleep. You might notice you're going to bed earlier than you normally do. Not staying up to get in that last dip. You may notice some sores in your mouth. You're thinking, "great, I quit dipping and now I have cancer." You almost certainly don't. Your mouth is healing itself. Tiny ulcers you've had for a long time are healing. We recommend you visit your dentist around the 30 day mark. Don't be a pansy, just do it. He or she will be very supportive and they can explain the sores much better than we can. Don't let your guard down. Don't go out drinking with the fellas or the girls. We also recommend that you don't drink for at least the first 50 days. Drinking is a huge trigger event and it weakens your resolve.

Days 50 - 70 - Cruise control. Life is really good. You still think about it, but this is good stuff here. Some people may suffer anxiety attacks during or a little before this stage. Some doctors say we dipped to relieve anxiety anyway. Some people can push right through this, others need a little help. Talk to your doctor before you quit or immediately after you quit. They will know what to do. Some give Wellbutrin or Lexapro. Lots of people in the support community take or have taken these medicines and can help you with the affects. Don't wait till you get to this stage of the game to talk to a doctor. You'll cruise through this stage much easier if you know how to take care of the anxiety or at least know it's coming.

Days 70 - 90 - Late term craves, the doldrums, the blahs, the blues. Some people end up feeling like they are right back at day 1. The fog, the haze, the craves. It can be a tough time. You need to let people in your group know this is happening. Time to circle the wagons to get through it. It usually only lasts a few days. Fight through this and make sure your order your Commemorative HOF Knife or Coin.

Days 90 - HOF - Houston, resume the countdown. Enjoy the hell out of these last 10 days. You will be celebrating with your group as you all enter the HOF. It is a great feeling and an accomplishment you should not take lightly. Do something special for yourself and your family. They put up with your sorry ass for the last 90 days and they deserve something too.

100+ Days - Stay vigilant. Use the tools you have, to continue beating back any cravings or urges. You will still experience dip dreams and longings, but you are fully qualified to beat them down. Continue to post roll with your group. Get into the newer groups and help somebody out. Pass it along. Live the dream.

Spiffums
07-01-10, 08:53
You just have to decide on a day to quit and not buy anymore after that. Then spend 3 or 4 days of biting people's heads off for saying Good Morning! How are you?

If you still have an family and friends after that you should be home free.

I am a firm believer in the idea of "My Time To Quit". You just have to stick with it.

Now I am working on my Mt Dew addiction.......... you think Cope is hard to kick:eek:

vaglocker
07-01-10, 11:25
Ah, a topic here at M4C.net for which I am finally a SME :D. I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversay of quitting the dip train. I was doing a can a day for 12 years and before that had been smoking for the previous 12 years. I wasn't just a dipper I was a swallower (that's what she said!) and was sure I would die of stomach cancer before oral cancer. If I was awake I had a dip in.

Anyway, I had all but given up on ever being able to quit until I talked about it with my doctor. He suggested I give Chantix a shot. It's a med that is usually used for smoking cessesation and he wasn't sure it would really work with smokeless tobacco but he still suggested I try it. Tell you what that shit was a miracle drug for me. With Chantix you continue with tobacco through the first week or so while you are on the drug and then you quit cold. I haven't had a craving for nicotine since the day I took my last dip. I continued on Chantix for about 3 months and haven't had any nicotine since and don't miss it. Apparently it only works in about 60% of the people who use it, but if your in that 60% it can change your life and I don't say that lightly.

vaglocker
07-01-10, 11:32
One more thing. When I was on Chantix I also was using the mint leaf snuff as a security blanket, but stopped using that pretty much the same time I came off the drug.

Trajan
07-01-10, 13:21
Actually I find getting off nicotine to be easy, its just that I don't want to. At times I will take a month brake or whatnot.

I started using tobacco by smoking Djarum Black clove cigarettes. Before this I occasionally used hookah, but it wasn't an all the time thing. I actually quit smoking by using Swedish Snus. Its like dip, but with salt and no carcinogens. Apparently the Swedes regulate it like a food product. I have since quit using snus because it is now taxed under Obamas pact act making it more expensive. I do highly recommend this product as it will give you nicotine while significantly lowering your risks.

More information here: http://www.swedishmatch.com/en/Snus-and-health/

I have started to use dip now (Copenhagen Wintergreen) which I can get for $2.54. I like it, but spitting is annoying, and I can already tell its tearing up my gums.

vaglocker
07-01-10, 13:36
Actually I find getting off nicotine to be easy, its just that I don't want to. At times I will take a month brake or whatnot.

Spoken like a true addict. :D

E.W.
07-01-10, 13:43
I think i will join you on this quest to kick the can. I chewed Cope for maybe 12 years or so (say 3 cans a week)
I decided one day that I had enough. I quit colded turkey, it was tough but managable. After 3 years off the stuff, I stopped at the store for a can on my way to a hog hunt in south Florida. You would think I never quit. I can't explain why I did it or what was going through my mind, but I've been 100% addicted since then (5 years or so). Hopefully this time I can stay the course. Best wishes to you.

R.P.
07-01-10, 15:36
Best of luck to you.
I have been dipping for 1/2 of my life and I have noticed that my usage has increased over the past 12 months. I know I need to quit, but I'm not ready to give it up just yet.

I am outdoors a lot with my job, and being the summer time it seems there is some type of yard work to do every night when I get home from work. I think this time of year would be the hardest time of year for me to quit.

Outlander Systems
07-01-10, 20:27
Started with Pipe Smoking (cigarettes were for Godless heathen savages, and low-class scum).

Then went to Skoal.

Then went to cigarettes about 5 years ago. Tried getting off the 'sticks by going back to Skoal.

Didn't work.

Just bought a new pipe about two weeks ago. So far, it's worked. Pipe tobacco is infinitely better tasting than cigarettes. I don't inhale, so my lungs aren't taking the beating they were, and, most importantly of all, running isn't as hard.

awm14hp
07-01-10, 20:30
I started chewing in 7th grade and have done it ever since off and on one of the best thing that works for me is the GYM that seems to take alot of the ANGER and other issues out of it for me. Good luck and its well worth it. Plus think of the money you will save.....

Hapainwa
07-01-10, 21:50
O319,
July 5th huh? I'll join ya. I had quit for over 15 years, and then at a softball game my buddie busts out a bag of Levi Garret, aahhhhh...... the good 'ol days of baseball and spit everywhere. That was 10 years ago. Since then I've fallen back to the can, and I'm ready to quit, again. I'll join you on the quest. July 5th, I'm in. On top of it all, WA has some of the highest, if not THE highest, tobacco taxes in the nation. I could get another gun!!!

Oscar 319
07-02-10, 06:03
E.W., Hapainwa, ****IN' A! Welcome and thank you for coming with me.

This is really going to suck. 3 more days. I have anxiety just thinking/typing about it. Junky.

Thanks for any and all the support. It will make it easier to stay quit and commit with you guys that are quitting with me.

Quitters:
Me
Pilotguyo405
Irishluck73
E.W.
Hapainwa

Ya'll are going to be hating my ass a week from now. We'll get through it.

More are welcome to quit too. BTW, thanks to a tax increase, a can of Cope now costs over $6 in UT. Hell no.

Hapainwa
07-02-10, 09:37
O319,

I just came into work and found the PM shifters had raided my new can from yesterday. I head out to pick up my last can. We're over $7 a can here.

Oscar 319
07-02-10, 18:09
I just bought my last 2 cans. $13! That's a box of ammo.

M4Fundi
07-02-10, 23:56
I was a Cope addict for 21 years. Had a professor once tell me that there Cope had the equivalent of 24 cigs a can do not know if was true, but when one day I realized I was carrying 3 cans a day because I was dipping over 2 cans a day I got worried. Did some research and found that the leading cause of impotence in US is nicotine breaking down the vascular walls of the veins feeding your business and high rate of colon cancer not to mention the mouth and throat thing. I spent 6 months trying to quit. I would get desperate buy a can take dip and then throw the whole can out the window immediately for 6 months (expensive) then I just decided one day it was time and quit. I haven't dipped my beloved Copenhagen again, but I lived outside US soon afterword for many years and that helped. Going thru divorce now I have succombed to the pouches (rat tampons) but will quit when divorce is over. Love/Hate the stuff its tuff! Miss Cope, but I know one dip of that again and I'd be addicted again!

Oscar 319
07-03-10, 00:14
Sorry about the divorce bro. Maybe it's for the better?

Don't be fooled by the pouches. I told myself I was only "half" chewing by using these after chewing "real" Cope. Reallity is, it's like a nicotine IV. No grains and floaties, no spitting (gut that shit). I have a pouch or two in all day long. No one knows. Only my nerves and sore cheek knew. A can a days worth.

No more though. Shit, $6.50ish a can now. No way. 05July10, D-Day.

yallknowho
07-03-10, 01:31
just stop buying it.

Armati
07-03-10, 12:19
Chantix worked very well for a friend of mine. I believe it cost a bit over $100 a month but very effective. Certainly cheaper in the long run than a tobacco habit.

Ruff
07-03-10, 17:15
I quit smoking Oct. 23 2008. I used Chantix pills for about a month, then got sick of taking them and quit them too.

It was hell for a few days. I made myself a promise that if I could go one day without a smoke I would never light another one.

A fellow Officer said I was a puss and would be smoking again. That was just the ammo I needed. I rub his face in it every time I see him.

I don't miss it. My health is better, but I did pick up some weight. I'm working on that right now.

Good luck to you. You can do it.

Ruff

pilotguyo540
07-03-10, 20:30
I spent 5 hours today troubleshooting a vehicle for my dad. It was a rather intense diagnosis and I was in the zone doing what I so best. All of a sudden I started to feel drained and like crap. I started thinking about how much chew I consumed during this project and it was really an eye opener. I never paid that much attention to how much I rely on this crap to do my job. this diagnosis was extremely complicated, but extremely complicated is my specialty. This will be tougher than I thought, or even remember.
Goozfrabba....

Hapainwa
07-03-10, 21:42
Well I had to move up the D-day. Just after I posted my findings about the night shifters raiding my stuff, I went to the doc and went home with bronchaitas (?sp). So, never got to the store.

The place I miss it most, is at the range. There's 4 other guys on our team that dip and it KILLS me not. Ya, well I won't be to the range for about 10 days after D-day, so it'll be a good enough time to help ween me.

THIS ****EN SUCKS!

bkb0000
07-03-10, 22:28
it does suck.. hard. especially bad when your buddies are all still slobberin away on that good Cope you love so much. you hate them, and wonder why you're insisting on being cruel to yourself. yea, the stuff is "bad" for you, but is it really worth it to suffer like this? why shouldn't a man who works hard for his money be able to indulge in one simple pleasure? you deserve to be able to suck on a chaw if you damn well feel like it. what other reward do you have? couple that entitlement with the horrible agony of depriving yourself of the one thing on this planet that brings you some comfort, calm, serenity... **** THIS, where's that can i stashed in my truck??

yea, i've been there. its very, very tough. cold turkey is dumb- use a step-down program, follow it to the letter, and chew lots of gum.

good luck, gentlemen.

pilotguyo540
07-03-10, 23:26
At the risk of sounding like a total puss, are there any ground rules we should follow?

Should I keep a can for security?

If I fail or just take a dip wil I automatically become an outcast?

I am a little stressed just thinking about it. Its that same feeling I used to get waiting for my dad to come home when I had an ass whoopin coming. Part of me knows it can't really be that bad, but the anxiety is killing me! Oh, the irony....

K.L. Davis
07-04-10, 00:27
Honestly, I tried a few different things: Cut back, rationing, the herb stuff, the programs Uncle Sam offered, all of that - what worked for me was to through my can in the trash and just tell myself that I was done with it.

BrianS
07-04-10, 00:35
Honestly, I tried a few different things: Cut back, rationing, the herb stuff, the programs Uncle Sam offered, all of that - what worked for me was to through my can in the trash and just tell myself that I was done with it.

That is how I quit smoking. I am very skeptical of anything involving cutting back or substituting a secondary (potentially addictive itself and certainly expensive) substance.

Quitting any addiction seems to boil down to one thing only, pure willpower. When you feel like using whatever it is, don't. Eventually the desire passes, although I still have dreams I am smoking in from time to time.

thopkins22
07-04-10, 00:36
what worked for me was to through my can in the trash and just tell myself that I was done with it.

Every person I know that has successfully quit has succeeded because they actually had the willpower to say "I will not do that anymore."

Every single other person who has tried has decided that "This is bad for me, I'd like to quit because of whatever," rather than definitively changing who they are going to be in the future.

Congratulations on quitting. I know several people who have been in extraordinarily difficult situations at home and abroad, and maintain that quitting nicotine was the hardest thing they ever did.

Nathan_Bell
07-04-10, 08:27
Every person I know that has successfully quit has succeeded because they actually had the willpower to say "I will not do that anymore."

Every single other person who has tried has decided that "This is bad for me, I'd like to quit because of whatever," rather than definitively changing who they are going to be in the future.

Congratulations on quitting. I know several people who have been in extraordinarily difficult situations at home and abroad, and maintain that quitting nicotine was the hardest thing they ever did.

Aye. My doctor said it again and again. No one quits until they decide they will quit. Not that it would be good to quit, not that it is getting expensive, not that their wife/husband/daughter/son/cat/turtle wants them too, not that....
Just deciding that you will no longer do it and hanging on for the ride.
Gotta tell you though, quitting a pack and a half a day Kool habit gives you a wicked buzz for day 2-4.
Smoked for 15 years and still adapting to not having my concentration crutch available.

Aray
07-04-10, 09:21
what worked for me was to through my can in the trash and just tell myself that I was done with it.

I stopped for almost 3 years that way. I convinced myself that I could control it and just have a few over a weekend out with the boys, WRONG.

I need to send the family away on vacation for a week or 2 so I can be a miserable **** for a while and get it done, again.

Do not keep a can, throw away a full can and decide that you just don't do that anymore.

Oscar 319
07-04-10, 09:31
I spent 5 hours today troubleshooting a vehicle for my dad. It was a rather intense diagnosis and I was in the zone doing what I so best. All of a sudden I started to feel drained and like crap. I started thinking about how much chew I consumed during this project and it was really an eye opener. I never paid that much attention to how much I rely on this crap to do my job. this diagnosis was extremely complicated, but extremely complicated is my specialty. This will be tougher than I thought, or even remember.
Goozfrabba....

Copy that. Embrace the suck! My anxiety is through the roof, and I have a chew in. Tomorrow is going to be rough.

Oscar 319
07-04-10, 09:36
Well I had to move up the D-day. Just after I posted my findings about the night shifters raiding my stuff, I went to the doc and went home with bronchaitas (?sp). So, never got to the store.

The place I miss it most, is at the range. There's 4 other guys on our team that dip and it KILLS me not. Ya, well I won't be to the range for about 10 days after D-day, so it'll be a good enough time to help ween me.

THIS ****EN SUCKS!

Stick with it. Camping, fishing, shooting, driving, shitting....it's all going to be tough with out a dip in. I'll be with you come tomorrow.

Oscar 319
07-04-10, 09:54
At the risk of sounding like a total puss, are there any ground rules we should follow?

Should I keep a can for security?

If I fail or just take a dip wil I automatically become an outcast?

I am a little stressed just thinking about it. Its that same feeling I used to get waiting for my dad to come home when I had an ass whoopin coming. Part of me knows it can't really be that bad, but the anxiety is killing me! Oh, the irony....

Tell me about it. My gums itch, pressure in my chest. DO NOT BUY A CAN! Try some nicotine gum to curve the jonesing. NO CHEW. We are quiting the habit and breaking the addiction. It is going to be painful, then again, so is cancer. We can do this! We are junkies. There is no such thing as "just 1 dip". It will start all over again. Been there, done that.

Oscar 319
07-04-10, 09:55
I stopped for almost 3 years that way. I convinced myself that I could control it and just have a few over a weekend out with the boys, WRONG.

I need to send the family away on vacation for a week or 2 so I can be a miserable **** for a while and get it done, again.

Do not keep a can, throw away a full can and decide that you just don't do that anymore.

Aray, it starts tomorrow. Come with us.

Aray
07-04-10, 10:31
I know this sounds like a cop-out because it is. I am on a family vacation right now, driving with the wife and kids. I am contemplating the suck.

Safetyhit
07-04-10, 11:06
I wasn't just a dipper I was a swallower...

I chewed a bit in high school and a few years after, then the thrill wore off. Maybe once a year now or less.

That said, I can't believe you used to swallow that crap. I can drink a half pint of Scotch in an hour without any discomfort, but just the slightest bit of that in my stomach and I am ill.

User Name
07-04-10, 13:14
Tell me about it. My gums itch, pressure in my chest. DO NOT BUY A CAN! Try some nicotine gum to curve the jonesing. NO CHEW. We are quiting the habit and breaking the addiction. It is going to be painful, then again, so is cancer. We can do this! We are junkies. There is no such thing as "just 1 dip". It will start all over again. Been there, done that.

Good lord this is how bad its going to be when I get around to quitting Skoal/Cope. Sounds miserable. Though not as bad as getting your face deformed from cancer or stomach cancer from "gutting" instead of spitting. Quitting my can and a half a day habit is on my list of "to dues". When in a non-permissive environment I used Commit lozenges and found that it really cut down on the craving. I have to get on the plane next week and I'll bring some. Give them a try (4mg for dippers 2mg is to little). You can beat it. Don't give up!

tampam4
07-04-10, 13:25
I wish all of you the best of luck and give you my support, I quit all forms of tobacco (cigarettes, snuff and chew) April 1st last year, been there done that. What made it easier was that I got out of the crowd that did those things, so I never had anybody around me constantly using tobacco. Keep it up and never give in, seeing your kids turn into young adults is worth the fight.

Ruff
07-04-10, 13:30
The real test for me was about three weeks after I quit. I intentionally finished my last carton so I had no smokes left.

Then while cleaning my truck, I found an unopened pack under the seat. I immediately threw it out and drove away.

Man was it hard not to smoke that "free" pack....

Ruff

User Name
07-04-10, 13:39
Worthy of note. Dip has a hell of a lot more nicotine than cigarettes if you back a decent lip full. I forgot how much more. I read an article on it a while back and I think a big dip was like a few cigarettes as far a nicotine dosage. Hence I chew one 4mg and one 2mg nicorette when I am not dipping.

chadbag
07-04-10, 15:07
I have no experience with any of this, not being a tobacco user ever.

I have however heard from a few people who quit smoking (maybe not the same as chewing but similar I would guess in that the substances are from the same base) that things like extra Vitamin C, grape seed supplements, etc. help the body deal with this more easily and help the body clean up the mess. Can't hurt anyway and may help your body recover faster.

Exercise, eat more vegetables, etc. A stronger and healthier body cannot be a disadvantage in this.

Oscar 319
07-05-10, 00:16
After lighting the fireworks, I handed my wife my can and let her dump it in the garbage can an hour early.

For those going with me, good luck. Tomorrow is not going to be fun. I say (or maybe the beer does) BRING IT!

Happy Independence Day my friends.

https://dstactical.com/images/embthesuck.jpg

El Mac
07-05-10, 01:10
Kick it bro!

pilotguyo540
07-05-10, 08:16
And so it begins...
I like misery, that's why I am still married! This will be fun.
Goozfrabba...

koji
07-05-10, 12:18
Good luck guys I'm right there with you after 10 years of this shit.

If you can stomach cold turkey - you're a better man than me.

Wife and I had our second a while ago and sitting there looking at my new daughter I decided I wanted to be there to give her away at her wedding. About a month ago I tried cold turkey... And I just about went nuts. I figured out that anxiety/stress was a big part of why I dipped.

I actually went to see a doctor about it and got some drugs to take the edge off. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO DO THE SAME. It takes a lot to admit you might have anxiety or stress you can't deal with because, you know, you're a man who should be able to deal with anything.

I'm on Day 8 of step down now - it's going a lot better. The first and biggest step for me was not automatically throwing one in every time I would normally and instead thinking "I could use some mint/ jerkey/sunflower seeds here and be ok". That way I only dip when I really have a jones and not as a reflex.

pilotguyo540
07-05-10, 21:06
What happened to the support? Is everyone too miserable to post? Too scared maybe?

My day sucked donkey balls. I slept for half of it. The drowsy took the fight out. The devil on my shoulder is pissed off. I kEep telling myself to man the eff up and that helps. Sunny seeds help. I bought some stuff called lobelia inflata. I don't know if it works or not yet. For 7 bucks it was worth a try. I will report back later if this works or if its just snake oil.

I hope everyone else had a better day than me.

Oscar 319
07-05-10, 21:27
My day sucked ass too. Way drowsy. Fell asleep twice. Nothing sounds fun. It's funny that every ****ing thing you do, your brain tells you it's time for a dip.

I had a fight with the wife and my 87 year old gramps is not doing good. It would be easy to quit quitting...there's always an excuse... not this time.

It will get better. **** Cope. I'll cope.

tampam4
07-05-10, 22:03
Quitting will come with a small price tag (your mood and taking it out on others) If those around you understand you are going through a tough time and need all the support you can get, it will make it much easier. Like you guys said, it WILL get easier. The night is always the darkest just before sunrise. If you feel like you need a verbal punching bag, we are always here:)

WEC
07-05-10, 22:05
I was a smoker for 14 years until I quit almost three years ago. I quit any and all forms of tobacco, including cigars.

What actually helped me was a book that a friend recommended to me: The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr. I'm not even sure how it worked - it just did. I've recommended the book to many friends and many of them have also kicked the habit. All I recommend is to keep an open mind when reading the book. It definitely puts you in the proper mindset to prepare you to quit. I did not use any patches, gum, prescription meds, or diversionary tactics.

Since that day, I decided that I will never use any tobacco products again for the rest of my life, and I am confident that I will be able to stick to that promise to myself. Strangely, I still have dreams/nightmares where I have a cigarette, and I wake up thinking, "Thank goodness it was only a dream."

Good luck to everyone who is trying to turn the corner. It's good that you are sticking together - it really helps to have a support group. But keep in mind the best support group starts with you.

pilotguyo540
07-06-10, 00:59
My soon to be ex wife is doing everything in her power to undermine my progress. I knew I should wait until the divorce was final. What an antagonistic pain in the ass!!! I went way above and beyond to defuse the argument. It was nothing serious! Started that way anyways. I caved and allowed a very mini chew to grind the edge off. Luckily I fly away tomorrow. That buys me until thursday night. a little stumble in an otherwise successful day. Did I ever mention that I have been gutting this crap for 13 years? bloody hell anyways.

M4Fundi
07-06-10, 01:08
LOL... I cant throw'm in the trash b/c Im sick of digging thru the trash every couple of hours to get another dip ;-) Im so pathetic...

Oscar 319
07-06-10, 02:51
No shit. What the hell is up with the women folk today?

Salt in the wounds for sure. Mine is being cool again, thank God. Back to bed.

24 hours nicotine free.

pilotguyo540
07-06-10, 07:56
On the road again...
Other than the big lonely empty hole in my morning coffee and the worst security lines I have seen outside the holiday season, today is going well. I feel real edgy, but I am alert. I will sleep once my plane takes off if the edge isn't too nerve racking. Getting out of the house makes me feel better already. My wife yelling at me to take a chew for her own selfish reasons didn't help last night. I feel optimistic today.

Good luck gentlemen

Oscar 319
07-06-10, 08:40
My wife yelling at me to take a chew for her own selfish reasons didn't help last night.

That's just wrong. Way to resist. Have a safe/sane trip.

Day 2 and my cravings are bad right now. Where's my seeds at?

Safetyhit
07-06-10, 09:37
Gentlemen, so much of it is mental. Sure there are physical symptoms, but bottom line is that if you believe the stuff makes you feel better and you believe you are worse off without it your body will play that storyline out as well. It is inevitable.

Again, I am not saying that there isn't a physical effect to the nicotine as well as withdraw, just saying that likely the greatest impact you are feeling now is largely in your minds.

My comparison would be alcohol. Yes, it takes my stress away and helps keep my tension level down during the tough times. But as soon as I feel like I need it to get by (it has happened in the past) I make myself take a short break and force myself to realize that I must be able to exist without such a crutch.

Remember, this is far easier to do when things are peaceful than when there is stress and conflict. I am better off with a couple in me when it's real bad or I get so tight inside I won't even eat, sometimes for days.

Also, if you have children, see yourself in a hospital bed with some fatal illness brought on as a direct result of poor judgment and weakness. That usually gets my attention and gives me the ability to better regulate myself. Doesn't always work, but it helps often.

By the way, I guess I should add that I never get drunk, ever. Always "just enough to take the edge off", as they say. If somehow you guys could moderate your cravings it would make all the difference, as a little is better than a lot. Plus some of this behavior sounds highly compulsive, which lends to the mental aspect of the issue.

pilotguyo540
07-06-10, 10:41
Safetyhit, you are right about the mental game. If I get distracted, I am fine. If I have down time I feel excessively edgy.

As far as physical symptoms, I have been very drowsy at times. Upset stomache, dizzy, minor episode of vertigo on the plane this morning. Too bad I have to work with heavy machinery today! I am sure a health care professional would advise against it.

The divorce process has helped tremendously!!! I can deal with way more suck than this. I am actually pretty psyched up now:D:D:D

I sense a big crash coming... but I am going to be pumped for now.

Stick with it guys. Good luck!

koji
07-06-10, 12:58
Sucks about your ladies man, especially pilotguyo540 - that's some messed up stuff. What helped me was my wife surfing killthecan and understanding what I'm really going through. Has your wife done that Oscar? I'm seriously envious of you guys and your having the balls to go cold - that's a huge deal man way to go.

Something that's helping me is thinking about what to get myself at the 100 days post quit mark. I've got a CavArms lower begging for a BCM Middy lightweight upper with a battlecomp muzzle break. Maybe I'll do some simple engraving, something like "100+". Might be a little cheezy, but every time I shoot it I'll remember.

Day 9 and my consumption is down 40%. I'm ahead of schedule and I feel fine this time.

THCDDM4
07-06-10, 13:28
Just quit. stop agonizing over every little thing and ****ing quit. You have ****ing free enterprise for christs sake, you make a decision you deal with the consequence; try some discipline. Don't get me wrong if you want to chaw; go right ahead, but if you want to quit it is just that easy, QUIT! If you think about chewing, say: "nah I have a brain and free-enterprise, I am stronger tham some little nothing feeling I trianed myself to enjoy".
You either do or you don't, quit ****ing "trying" grow a pair and discipline yourself for ****s sake.

If we could only share our problems with the men of past generations; they would beat most of us to death for being such childish unresponsile non-disciplined little bitches with problems that aren't even problems at all, just little headahces we give ourselves and agonize over.
They would laugh at 99.99% us for our inability to deal with pain and discipline our actions.

Quit all the bitching and be men, quit and don't look back...
-or-
Keep chawing and quit bitching

Support groups are for people with real problems, not a bunch of people trying to get rid of a ****ing weak little vice!

The physical affects of nicotine dwindle after about 3-4 days, and the rest is in your brain; so discipline your brain to either enjoy or deal with your new routine.

Your brain creates/does just about whatever you tell it to/teach it to, so make it work for you not against you...

I quit smoking and chewing at the ame time cold turkey and it was simple; everyone tried to tell me how hard it was going to be and how terrible I would feel; but instead I said nah, it's easy no big deal just need to discipline myself and decide if I will feel terrible or if I will feel just fine. Just quit and control your brain to work for you. Its all you; easy if you make it easy; hard if you make it hard; impossible if you make it impossible.
It's like anything really; some days I wake up and the last thing I want to do is drag myself out of bed and to the grind; but it is all up to me, I can agonize and make it hard as hell on myself and be miserable and slow/tired the rest of the day, or I can jump right up and get moving and be happy as a ****ing clam full of zest throughout the day. We largely create the world around us, and inside of us; truly take an active roll in this creation and there are but few limitations.

Keep with the quiting guys & gals and hope you all do well.

IF I sound overly harsh I appologize; not trying to put anyone down, or discourage; quite the opposite; we need to build our selves back up to where we see that we are the architects of our destiny; we need to get rid of this "Government/Citizen Romance" that has stiffled our soverignty for far too long, and start taking care of ourselves and our communities without the bullshit aid of government. I mean **** our entire lives are controlled by the GOVT. from brushing the teeth to gassing the car, turning a light switch, to going to the doctor, etc... IT begins with each and everyone of us as individuals and with our individual actions; and then moves onto the whole. I am just so sick and tired of how weak, complacent and entitled everyone in this country is; it's time to stop hiding, deal with the pain and move forward already; on so many levels...
Quiting chewing was just another of yet endless metaphores in my daily life that correspond to the bigger problem; the discipline to quit chewing, is the same discipline needed to quit allowing our "masters" to enslave us further, and the same discipline needed to allow the pain to happen and build ourselves back up; stop robbing from future generations and provide stepping stones for them, not birth them into slavery in the form of unsermountable debt and total governemnt control.

So quit the chaw and get started fighting the real fight!

pilotguyo540
07-06-10, 14:21
Thcddm4. So young, so angry, damn that rap music!

:D

THCDDM4
07-06-10, 14:50
Thcddm4. So young, so angry, damn that rap music!

I expected that type of brash assumption...

I'm 30 (Which is fairly young I admit) I can't stand (C)rap, and it is definitely not music; labelling it as such is a severe injustice to true musicians and compossers. Not much anger at all; incredibly passionate, very misunderstood, full of compassion and love. Most everyone makes the same assumptions with the infinitely small amount they know of me (Like you did here; and I could make the same ill-conceived assumptions about you based on the little info I have, but that would just make an ass out of me);
I bet if we sat down and talked you would think much differently...

Just think of how much communication is lost through these mediums; no tone, no body language, no vibratory fluctuations, no eye contact. You assume I am angry based on info that is very loose at best, and can be interpreted in endless ways.

The anger I do have is very well fucused and weilded into creative outlets; when I get angry I brew me some beer, or make cheese, or compose a song, or work in the wood shop; when I am passionate about things; I pound the computer keys or command my vocal chords with ferver.

Keep up with the quitting. Again I'll say it; it's up to you if its easy or hard, if it is absolute torture or just a bit of a pain to be dealt with and ignored. Be well.

pilotguyo540
07-06-10, 14:57
Actually I understood full well what you were doing. I am the same way, so it was easy to pick up on. We are close in age. You actually have 2 years on me. I was only making a joke. After that rant, I had to lighten things up. I agree with what you are saying.

Cheers!

THCDDM4
07-06-10, 15:06
Right on. I have a tendency to be a bit serious at times; wouldn't ever deny that ;)

Have a good one and keep it up with the quitting; I remember how good I felt after about a year afterwords; my body starting doing things it had previously found too comprehensive to partake in.

Slainte`

bkb0000
07-06-10, 15:13
i'm totally uninterested in understanding the heart, mind, and motives of THCDDM4.

as far as mindset- naturally the proper mindset is important. but you can't simply will yourself to not have severe withdrawal symptoms. furthermore, the myth that since nicotine is gone from your system in a few days and that the rest is all in your head is bullshit- true dependence withdrawal doesn't even start until about the third week, which is why most people who fail, fail inside week 4 or 5, when the symptoms are most severe and the individual is already battered down from previous weeks of symptoms.

psychoactive chemical dependence changes the way the brain functions at the neurotransmitter level. neurotransmitters don't just effect the brain- they're how the brain functions. so when you make a severe change to the way they dump, mix, and reuptake the chemicals that are responsible for signal, your moods, even up to and including behaviors, are totally out of your control. you cannot simply will your neurons to require and receive the correct mix of the 100+ (could be hundreds) different chemicals responsible for proper CNS function. this takes time, and usually requires a great deal of help.

some people are not as effected by psychostimulants as others- these people quit a lot easier. if you're lucky enough to have an inherent brain chemistry such as this, good for you. but the next guy, by the numbers, probably isn't. some people's brain chemistry is such that they're severely affected by psychostimulants- and as such, have a much more severe chemical dependence.

there is no one-sized-fits-all solution, and most people will fail trying to go cold turkey. many people will not only need a step-down program, but a lot of support from friends and family. nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on the planet- just because it doesn't alter perception of reality and cause the severe physiological changes in the body like crack or meth doesn't mean it isn't just as hard to kick.

thopkins22
07-06-10, 15:29
If we could only share our problems with the men of past generations; they would beat most of us to death for being such childish unresponsile non-disciplined little bitches with problems that aren't even problems at all, just little headahces we give ourselves and agonize over.
They would laugh at 99.99% us for our inability to deal with pain and discipline our actions.

Right. Because addiction to nicotine is a new phenomenon.:rolleyes: Nothing changes...literally every generation in recorded history looks upon younger generations as though they are the worst bunch of pussies ever. In reality they are identical in damned near every way.

By the way, did a single soul in this thread blame free markets and choice for their addiction? No? Huh.:confused: I think you should lay off the rhetoric.

I won't go into the other parts of your post...the peer reviewed studies are out there by the hundreds if not thousands that show nicotine addiction is just as difficult to break(if not more so,) as cocaine and alcohol addiction. If you had zero issues, then you weren't addicted(not everyone gets addicted to addictive substance you know.)

Again I'll say it; it's up to you if its easy or hard, if it is absolute torture or just a bit of a pain to be dealt with and ignored. Be well.
Say it all you like, but you're wrong and you're being a jerk about it. How easy or hard an individual finds quitting is dependent upon the individual's physiology and chemical balance. A decision to actually quit rather than stop is important no doubt, but hardly the only factor.

THCDDM4
07-06-10, 16:26
Thopkins22 & bkb0000:
I understand what you are saying; I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I understand very well the scientific ducumentation regarding addiction. I'm not denying it, or calling it false (although one could find hundreds of peer reviewed papers that point to the earth being flat could they not? As well as "global Warming" being a reality right? So I don't put TOO much stock in that kind of jargon). I was more trying to empower people to take control rather than fall back on crutches; mental or physical; "make lemonade" &"Glass half empty" type deal... My intent was obviously not well thought out, nor executed; and thus I will bow out in humility.

Good luck with the quitting and be well.
Take it easy.

I dealt with quite a bit of "issues" when I quit, I just put them in there place and moved on; that is the major point I was trying to communicate; with little avail.

Safetyhit
07-06-10, 17:33
...you are right about the mental game. If I get distracted, I am fine. If I have down time I feel excessively edgy.

THCDDM4 did come off too harsh, but the statement above is relevant to a high degree. As someone who uses something more often than I'd rather, I can attest to it.

There is a real ability to forget one's "discomfort" over not using something they usually do when the mind has more important things to focus on. It often simply isn't an issue until you think about what you aren't doing.

This may not be something that applies as much to a heroine addict, but it can and does apply to tobacco, alcohol, pot and other lesser potency substances. This perhaps to varying degree for each individual, depending on both physical make-up as well as mental toughness.

Pikey
07-06-10, 19:08
My grand dad quit chewing Red Man at age 93 after chewing all day every day since age 20. If he did it so can you.

thopkins22
07-06-10, 21:28
I dealt with quite a bit of "issues" when I quit, I just put them in there place and moved on; that is the major point I was trying to communicate; with little avail.

It's probably a function of my own addiction that I took it so personally.;) Thanks for the clarification.

variablebinary
07-07-10, 06:47
I know quite a few guys that chew. They seemed hooked as bad as smokers.

Even though the inside of their lip and gum line looks like it was eaten away by maggots, they just cant seem to kick it

vaglocker
07-07-10, 07:22
My grand dad quit chewing Red Man at age 93 after chewing all day every day since age 20. If he did it so can you.

Not to diminish his accomplishment, but what's the point of quitting at 93? If I made it to that age I wouldn't be changing up anything.

Safetyhit
07-07-10, 09:38
You have been conspicuously silent the past 24 hrs or more, Oscar. Still going according to plan?

This thread has captivated my attention a bit, as it has compelled me to take another look at my daily habits. Maybe I am just not doing enough, giving it lot's of thought the past couple days.

Regardless, I hope this endeavor has a positive outcome in some form or other for you guys.

Oscar 319
07-07-10, 10:24
Still here. Day 3 and going strong. Wife is being cool and Grandpa is doing better.

My laptop caught a virus yesterday; the type that totally takes your machine over and force you to buy their bogus anti-virus program. I would really like to skull **** it's creator to death. I'll deal with that tomorrow.

Tomorrow is my first day back on the job....:eek:

pilotguyo540
07-07-10, 10:30
Oscar! Try system restore to fix the virus. Be sure to go back BEFORE the problem started. Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Stay away from that porn site and you will be fine;) Ya it was that new one. The one that looked too good to be true.

Glad you are still with us boss.

Safetyhit
07-07-10, 10:44

Hey, I didn't forget about you, just saw it had been over a day since we heard from Oscar. Glad you are hanging in as well.

Also, sorry to hear about the cruel ex. I know the type very, very well. One can often find themselves wondering how someone so savage and heartless is able to........well not today, you get the point.

Oscar 319
07-07-10, 10:53
Oscar! Try system restore to fix the virus. Be sure to go back BEFORE the problem started. Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Stay away from that porn site and you will be fine;) Ya it was that new one. The one that looked too good to be true.

It's funny, it takes me to Viagra dot com and porno dot org. You can't restore it. It takes over windows. Everything you do gives you an error. I've had it before. It is a work computer, so no porn :p.

Our IT dudes can go to war on it tomorrow....I'm just glad I have a back up.

So, tomorrow will be rough. Up at 0400 where I would usually make coffee, scarf some unhealthy left over for breakfast, then throw down a chew. I'd chew and have my coffee while I checked in on M4, Facebook and the newspaper. That is going to change.

Healthy breakfast, some stretching, some coffee, and make a days worth of healthy food/snacks to get through the day and minimize weight gain. I've been eating like shit the past few days.

My guts are not "right". I gutted too. Everything seems "off" and different. It's goning to take a bit for my body and mind to balance out. Food is actually tasting better. My body just needs to find its homeostasis again....right now it is all ****ed up.

Failure is not an option.

pilotguyo540
07-07-10, 11:40
I know you didn't forget about me. I was worried about oscar too. I was afraid he got grouchy, turned green, and moved to a garbage can on sesame street.

I am currently in texas. Everyone and there sister is chewing today. I am in a high stress environment outside my element.

Yesterday sucked ass. I had 21 hours of travel and hard work. Not a good combo. 4 flights with no distractions. I hated everyone on that plane by the time I landed in san antonio.

I am doing good though. Still a little dizzy and a little grumpy. I am wanting to cheat, but life is good.

bkb0000
07-07-10, 12:34
i had the exact same virus a couple days ago, and though this isn't a work computer, it still wasn't from porn- i actually accidentally clicked a link to a movie-watching website when trying to find parental guidance reviews of a movie, and BAM- Viagra and pornography and Activate Your Software Now! was all over my computer. it wouldn't even let me put an antivirus CD in the damn disc drive. all web navigation was totally snatched- the computer was unusable.

F8 on restart, enter in safe-mode, system restore- fixed.

Hapainwa
07-07-10, 13:49
Well all was REALLY sucking this weekend as I was trying to deal with kicking the cough and dealing with the headaces too. My first day back to work I dropping in on a hallway conversation and my buddie offerd up his can. I grabbed three fingers worth and shoved my lip full before I could even think about it. About 2 minutes later, while in nirvana, I realized that I wasn't supposed to be. NUTS! Dumped the lip and have been jones'ng ever since. Got lots of gum around me now.

Oscar 319
07-07-10, 14:12
Well all was REALLY sucking this weekend as I was trying to deal with kicking the cough and dealing with the headaces too. My first day back to work I dropping in on a hallway conversation and my buddie offerd up his can. I grabbed three fingers worth and shoved my lip full before I could even think about it. About 2 minutes later, while in nirvana, I realized that I wasn't supposed to be. NUTS! Dumped the lip and have been jones'ng ever since. Got lots of gum around me now.

Next time your buddy offers up his can, take three finger pinch and shove it straight up his ass!

Let that ****er get oral cancer, not you. It sucks bad, but you can beat this.

I am fully prepared to EAT THE FACE OFF of the first person who waves a can in front of me.

Hang in there.

pilotguyo540
07-07-10, 17:22
I was offered a chew about an hour ago from a friend. He was joking but I am hurting bad now. I caught a whiff of the sweet juicy nectar and am wanting to throw away 3 perfect days of misery. I know he didn't mean anything, but this is almost as hard as day 1.

Safetyhit
07-07-10, 19:20
I was offered a chew about an hour ago from a friend. He was joking but I am hurting bad now. I caught a whiff of the sweet juicy nectar and am wanting to throw away 3 perfect days of misery. I know he didn't mean anything, but this is almost as hard as day 1.

Just go have a shot or two and you will for get all about it. Oh wait...

pilotguyo540
07-07-10, 21:07
Roll Call!!!

Who is still with us?
Irishluck73, E.W., Hapainwa, how are you guys holding up? Irish, you are my favorite reporter, I havent seen a post in a while.

I am jonesing real bad since that episode earlier today. I need help on this. Am I supposed to cave in and have a little chew or suffer through. Bkb0000 said it was stupid to go cold turkey. Maybe he was right. He usually is. Maybe I just need to man the **** up and remind myself what a bad ass MoFo I am in m head (not a mall ninja:D!!!). This is actually the worst so far. Sure I have been through way worse than this, but do I have to? Will one little micro chew start the clock all over? Would this be in line with the step down method?

There is a gas station right next door to my hotel and I am dieing to buy a can. Please help a brother out.:eek:

bkb0000
07-07-10, 21:10
i said it was stupid to go cold turkey before i realized thats exactly what all you guys are doing. pay no attention to that comment... :o

keep it up! to tell you the truth, the only two successful attempts i've ever made were both done cold turkey. and that was because both those times, i was straight up fed up- i had the level of determination necessary to achieve the goal.

keep at it, man. if you can do it cold-turkey, you'll have twice the man-points when you're done.

ETA- if you simply cannot stand it any longer, don't fall back to a chew. go buy yourself a nicotine patch- it'll seem like heaven compared to what you've been dealing with. plus, it'll give you an added incentive to not chew- 'cause if you put in a chew after having a patch on, even if you've had the patch off for a while, you'll get nasty nauseous and repent the move. ask me how i know.

Oscar 319
07-07-10, 22:11
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

NO ****ING CHEW.

Break the habit. The body needs 72 hours to rid itself of nicotine.

If you've came this far, and if you must, get some 2mg nico gum.

Cravings (the hard ones) will go away in 10 minutes or so. Seeds, gum, hard candy, rub one out :p.....NO CHEW.

Hang in there. We'll see how I do tomorrow....on duty :eek:

Irish
07-07-10, 22:17
Day 2 for me almost done... I started a day late and it couldn't be avoided. I'm in CA for work and about to eat the ****ing pictures off the walls of the hotel room! I think I'm gonna try an acupuncturist tomorrow to help ease the cravings... I'll let you know how it works out.

koji
07-07-10, 22:19
Don't do the chew if you can stop yourself. You guys have done great - day three is the day I effin' snapped during my first quit. It was horrible. I was alternating vomiting and the runs, had a fever, the shakes, etc. If you're better off than that KEEP GOING!

You're better than me. I'm the guy who can't quit cold turkey. I know this because I used to not leave caps on my liquor bottles because there wasn't a point. I'm off the sauce but on that quit I had to step down for a couple weeks. I should have known better than to even try cold turkey on dip, but I wanted to nut up. Dumb ass idea.

Long story short you guys are doing it and doing it right if you've gotten to this point and are remotely able to function. Kudos, good luck, and **** dip.

pilotguyo540
07-07-10, 23:20
I accepted a nicorrette gum instead. That was terrible. I hope I didnt screw everything up. We will see tomorrow I guess. I cant believe how expensive that is! I hate skoal, I should try that if I need to drop down again. I am not paying 50 bucks for gum! I dont care what the benefit is. 50 bucks buys a shit load of chew, or some ammo. I actually dont feel that great after trying the gum. I would rather have done a small micro chew, but I am glad I didn't. Thanks for the advise everyone.

Oscar 319
07-08-10, 05:35
I accepted a nicorrette gum instead. That was terrible. I hope I didnt screw everything up. We will see tomorrow I guess. I cant believe how expensive that is! I hate skoal, I should try that if I need to drop down again. I am not paying 50 bucks for gum! I dont care what the benefit is. 50 bucks buys a shit load of chew, or some ammo. I actually dont feel that great after trying the gum. I would rather have done a small micro chew, but I am glad I didn't. Thanks for the advise everyone.

Quitting is not fun or easy. A small chew turns into a big chew. Generic nico gum runs about $25 for 100 pieces at Walmart. It won't scatch the itch. It will take the edge off. Remember, break the habit.

I am ****ing dying right now too. I just finished breakfast and I am drinking my coffee. No mas.

EMBRACE THE SUCK! Day #4, 1st day on duty.

Bring it!

koji
07-08-10, 08:17

I know you already bought the gum - but you might want to do what bkb said and use a patch today. The problem with the gum is that if you read the instructions (most I've talked to don't) you're supposed to use it in a similar way to chew. Take a couple bites - secure somewhere in your lip - when you can't taste the pepper - chew it again then secure somewhere in your lip.

What gum did you get? (how many MG of nicotine) If it's one of the middle/lower ones you probably need to chew two pieces. Someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread. I've tried this during my current step down and it does work ok.

Just don't buy a can if you can stop yourself.

pilotguyo540
07-08-10, 08:28
Actually my friend gave me a piece. This is the same guy who offered me a chew yesterday. It was 4mg. I felt a little green afterwards. I don't want that again.

Weird night. Strange dreams I don't remember. I woke up several times. I do feel 10 times better.

Real men don't need instructions!:p

Oscar 319
07-08-10, 09:35
This is by far the toughest day so far. Not really in the mood to deal with other peoples problems....:p

One of my buddies quit the same time as me and it's his first day back too...needless to say, he's a grumpy bastard too.

One of our graveyard guys was finishing up some paperwork. He was pissing and moaning saying how ****ed up last night was. I asked if he was still chewing....he looked at me and said "2 days". :cool:

His ass quit too. :p

tampam4
07-08-10, 09:39
This is by far the toughest day so far. Not really in the mood to deal with other peoples problems....:p

One of my buddies quit the same time as me and it's his first day back too...needless to say, he's a grumpy bastard too.

One of our graveyard guys was finishing up some paperwork. He was pissing and moaning saying how ****ed up last night was. I asked if he was still chewing....he looked at me and said "2 days". :cool:

man I am really glad I don't work in the same place as you three:D:D

Keep it up guys, it will get better and better every day, plus you get to keep your lower jaw intact.:cool:

koji
07-08-10, 09:39
Real men don't need instructions!:p

LOL. My wife read them and told me. :D She knows I won't read instructions.

I figured out I have to put it in my upper lip. Gum is made for smokers who haven't been beating their lips up for a decade like we have. It just didn't work in my lower gums.

Glad you feel better. That's awesome.

pilotguyo540
07-08-10, 09:57
Oscar, I was there yesterday. Today I feel fine. Almost like I have an inner calm back. I don't, but by comparison life is friggin awesome! Granted I did chew the gum last night, but that made me feel like crap.

thopkins22
07-08-10, 10:46
I greatly prefer the lozenges to the gum or patch.

Safetyhit
07-08-10, 12:14
You guys are all to be commended. Excellent work so far.

THCDDM4
07-08-10, 13:13
I know I bowed out of this thread; but I just recalled what some of my buddies used to help them quit. They bought some nasal nicotine sprays (THey come in different strrengths; I have no idea where they were procurred?) and would just spray a snort or two in the nose when they felt they needed to. They (3 guys all quit at once for support and all tried the same stuff, the nasal spray worked best for all of them) said it worked much better than the gum or the lozenges, or the inhalers and all the other jazz they tried. FYI. Maybe it can help out some of you guys here?

Good luck!

Irish
07-08-10, 13:20

I wouldn't want to be a bad guy in Utah right about now. :D

Day 3 for me and not an easy one...

Oscar 319
07-08-10, 13:27
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41l-SWkjXEL._SL500_.jpg

Irish
07-08-10, 13:47
LOL!!!

40Arpent
07-08-10, 17:04
I have been dipping 1+ cans of Copenhagen for 20+ years (I am 45 y.o.), and I just want to say that y'all are truly an inspiration to me. I haven't reached the mental state yet where I really want to quit for myself, but I will definitely keep an eye on this thread. Good luck and keep up the exemplary work!

-Pete

pilotguyo540
07-08-10, 17:18
Hi pete,

Thanks for that. I don't have the mind set either. All I had was oscars posting and the knowledge that this is a good idea. The problem is that I do like chewing. I really like it. Odds are that won't change, so this was the only opportunity I had. Being "accountable" to these guys has been a big help. I don't want to let them down, so I am pushing myself harder than I normally would. This is the perfect place for it because I respect the people on this site, especially irishluck 73 and Bkb0000. If I was on another site with a bunch of trailer trash bitching about the price of lift kits it would never work.

Today is only day 4 and I have a long way to go, but today was really good. I am glad oscar dragged me into this. I am doing this cold turkey and unmotivated, and it is working. The hard part is putting this ball into play.

Good luck,
Mike (pilotguyo540)

40Arpent
07-08-10, 17:47
If I was on another site with a bunch of trailer trash bitching about the price of lift kits it would never work.

Now wait a minute, Mike, I just installed a 6" lift kit on my truck and wasn't too happy with the price! I don't live in a trailer, though. :D

I'm really pulling for all of you that are in this fight, and you're right, you have some great guys for support and motivation.

-Pete

Nathan_Bell
07-08-10, 17:48
Didn't rub, smoked. One thing that helped me was the fact that I did feel ****ed up. This told me the if I stopped I would have to go through that shit again. Did pop some Tylenol PM at about 8 PM a few nights during the first week as I would have trouble sleeping otherwise.

I found that gum is a great helper, but not the way that everyone I had spoken to said to do. I would go until I was nic fitting hard and ready to kill, then grab a stick of gum. That wouldn't do much, so i would jam another in. Would have a half pack of gum going at once, that about kicked in gag reflex, so would spit it out and by then the "need to smoke or kill someone" stage would have passed.

Oscar 319
07-08-10, 18:22
Day 4. Shots fired, 0. :D

Working was surreal. Driving around the 'hood with out the comfort of shit in my lip was strange. I was very edgy, yet I am beginning to sense a new calm packaged inside the anxiety. Today was hard, but manageable.

I loved to chew too. You have to look at how much nicotine runs your life. Seriously, today I took my first decent shit since quitting. I could not shit, drive, think, drink, walk, talk, with out my nicotine in or near by. The shit ran my life.

I am glad to be getting rid of it. In order to be successful, you have to want it. I want it. I am sick of it. I am sick of the expense. I am sick of my wife bitching. I am ashamed when my kids ask why I chew ('"cause yer daddy is a redneck dumb ass"). I am sick worrying about cancer. I watched my father in law go through throat cancer. He never chewed or smoked. Not cool.

I am done. I sure as shit don't want to go through quitting again. It is terrible.

Nathan_Bell
07-08-10, 19:59
Day 4. Shots fired, 0. :D

Working was surreal. Driving around the 'hood with out the comfort of shit in my lip was strange. I was very edgy, yet I am beginning to sense a new calm packaged inside the anxiety. Today was hard, but manageable.

I loved to chew too. You have to look at how much nicotine runs your life. Seriously, today I took my first decent shit since quitting. I could not shit, drive, think, drink, walk, talk, with out my nicotine in or near by. The shit ran my life.

I am glad to be getting rid of it. In order to be successful, you have to want it. I want it. I am sick of it. I am sick of the expense. I am sick of my wife bitching. I am ashamed when my kids ask why I chew ('"cause yer daddy is a redneck dumb ass"). I am sick worrying about cancer. I watched my father in law go through throat cancer. He never chewed or smoked. Not cool.

I am done. I sure as shit don't want to go through quitting again. It is terrible.

Then you will quit it. The hatred for the nic has to be higher than the need and liking of it, once you are there it is just a matter of discipline.

Irish
07-08-10, 20:25
Post-acupuncture results are very good so far. It's definitely helped reduce the anxiety and angst levels alot! She also put in small metal balls under stickers in my ears to press on to help relax and ease the cravings, acupressure. After 3000 years of getting positive results from acupuncture I'm a firm believer, the shit works!

pilotguyo540
07-08-10, 20:30
Post-acupuncture results are very good so far. It's definitely helped reduce the anxiety and angst levels alot! She also put in small metal balls under stickers in my ears to press on to help relax and ease the cravings, acupressure. After 3000 years of getting positive results from acupuncture I'm a firm believer, the shit works!

If you were just in reno, and now in kalifornia, you must have driven past my nick of the woods. Would you mind telling me where and who you saw for acupuncture? I have a laundry list I could use help with.

Irish
07-08-10, 20:42
If you were just in reno, and now in kalifornia, you must have driven past my nick of the woods. Would you mind telling me where and who you saw for acupuncture? I have a laundry list I could use help with.

Her name is Dorothy Pang and http://www.acuspawellness.com/ is her website. She's located in San Bruno just south of San Francisco. She's very friendly and knowledgeable and for 2 hours of consultation and treatment only charged me $60 due to the Yelp coupon listed on their site, read below.

I have had several issues with shoulders and my knee from my time in the military and she provided treatment for those as well. No BS and no joke the stimulation she provided for my shoulders has increased the range of movement dramatically in only one session. She also used electrical stimulation on a knee I've had 3 surgeries on and I'm hoping that this will help reduce the pain levels in it as well.

Here's her reviews on Yelp which is how I found her, nothing but 5 stars and I couldn't agree more: http://www.yelp.com/biz/acuspa-san-bruno#hrid:-Cg4qT1ilTVPkOGG9PoKkQ/src:self

Hope it helps!

thopkins22
07-08-10, 21:28
=Seriously, today I took my first decent shit since quitting. I could not shit, drive, think, drink, walk, talk, with out my nicotine in or near by.

One of my wake up calls was realizing that when I thought I needed to drop a bowel, I'd scramble outside for a cigarette...even when the time line was getting short.

Driving is the worst though...much worse than drinking.

Oscar 319
07-09-10, 05:39
Day 5, much better than day 4, so far.

Quitters check in.

If anyone reading this is thinking about quitting, joins us.

Nathan_Bell
07-09-10, 07:30

Quitters check in.

Stick it to the man and quit paying the taxes on the tobacco! :D Quit today!

g/l on getting through your first Friday, guys. That was a tough one for me. Old end of the week habits will screw with you today.

pilotguyo540
07-09-10, 07:41

Quitters check in.

Here boss, but really bitchy. Chew would help, but I dont need it. interesting that your super suck day was #4 and mine was #3. Glad you made it. Good luck today everyone.

Pikey
07-09-10, 07:47
Not to diminish his accomplishment, but what's the point of quitting at 93? If I made it to that age I wouldn't be changing up anything.

Several reasons, he told me that it was for his health including oral health?? He was also concerned about being addicted after death, in the after life???? His religous belief not my own. I also think he was just tired of it.

Not trying to make light of addiction, I understand that snuff is more addictive then any other tobbacco product including chewing tobbacco like Red Man.

Irish
07-09-10, 12:02
Day 4 and feeling pretty good. Whether you believe in the Chinese voodoo, AKA acupuncture, or not it's helped me tremendously. My only problem will be my typical weekend routine of hanging in the pool and drinking cold beers and along with that comes the smokes. Guess I'll have to change my routine for a bit...

Oscar 319
07-10-10, 05:52
Day 6. I hope everyone survived Friday night.

Hapainwa
07-10-10, 12:12
Well Friday night came and went fine, and the headaches are finally starting to dwindle. I still find myself dropping back to wanting a dip, and that's something that sticks in the back of my mind. When that desire leaves me, then I'll say I've kicked the habit, till then just keeping up the fight.

Irish
07-10-10, 12:17
Still smoke free but we're supposed to go to a pool party/BBQ today, that's gonna be rough if we end up going.

sapper36
07-10-10, 12:21
I didnt read the entire post but good job guys. I took my first dip in 5th grade, then dorked around with it off and on until highschool. 17 years later i finally quit, its been just over two years and its worth the hard times to get free of the crap. I dipped over a can a day all those years and now its just like vegitables, I dont want it. Something that may help is the fake dip at walmart. I used it everytime i was about to fall and its not asbad as the stuff from years back. Good luck, its worth it.

Oscar 319
07-10-10, 13:04
Still smoke free but we're supposed to go to a pool party/BBQ today, that's gonna be rough if we end up going.

No way dude. You had that Chinese voo-doo the other day. Smoking will only make you deathly ill, and it could cause cancer. :D

pilotguyo540
07-10-10, 13:09
No way dude. You had that Chinese voo-doo the other day. Smoking will only make you deathly ill, and it could cause cancer. :D

That made my day!

Irish
07-10-10, 13:19

The voodoo definitely helped but drinking a bunch of beers while BBQ'ing in the hot sun poolside with bikini clad girls is just asking for trouble! All of it sounds like fun but booze/beer = smoking and a lot of people there will be puffing away.

Oscar 319
07-10-10, 13:42
The voodoo definitely helped but drinking a bunch of beers while BBQ'ing in the hot sun poolside with bikini clad girls is just asking for trouble! All of it sounds like fun but booze/beer = smoking and a lot of people there will be puffing away.

I'd sit this one out. It's ok to be wholesome once in a while.

I wish we were nieghbors....we could have some wholesome nicotine free fun. We could put Ms. 319 in a bikini and make her BBQ for us while we play with guns and resist the inner junky.

pilotguyo540
07-11-10, 12:07
I'd sit this one out. It's ok to be wholesome once in a while.

I wish we were nieghbors....we could have some wholesome nicotine free fun. We could put Ms. 319 in a bikini and make her BBQ for us while we play with guns and resist the inner junky.

Lame Oscar! That is seriously the most uncool thing I have heard all week. :p

Irish, I hope you had fun and will someday let me date your avatar :D

I have been drinking a few times this week and found it to be fine. Helpful even.

I have come to the conclusion that sunflower seeds are way more disgusting that chew. My mouth is raw from the salt. I want to brush my teeth 5 times a day for some reason.

Who is left? Who has dropped? I know its been a tough damn week for all of us. Keep it up.

Oscar 319
07-11-10, 21:13
Day 7. One week with out a chew.

Day 4, my first day back on duty was rough.
Day 5, I was assaulted by an armed robbery suspect, which was quite therapeutic to say the least. Talk about opening the door. I had to take the shit head to the hospital before jail because him and the ground became one. He picked the wrong dude at the wrong time to go after. :D
Day 6, gravy.
Day 7, a slow Sunday. It was a little rough, but I made it.

I am eating so ****ing much. It is amazing who much you put in your mouth if you're not chewing. Even the seeds. I may need to go to fat-camp if I keep it up.

My sleep is still ****ed up. I can't stay asleep. This will get better. Once I get my sleep squared up, I will be spending way more time in the gym. I usually go to bed around 0000 hrs and rise at 0400 hrs. This needs to change.

Pilot, I have met Irish's avatar. Not only is she beautiful, Mrs. Irish is super cool too. She's a great lady. Hopefully Irish made it. It is a misdemeanor to NOT smoke and drink in Vegas you know.

Safetyhit
07-11-10, 21:24
Just keep swinging. Still a few rounds to go like it or not.

Irish
07-11-10, 21:45
Irish, I hope you had fun and will someday let me date your avatar :D
Sorry, the whole marriage thing gets in the way of other people dating her. ;)

Pilot, I have met Irish's avatar. Not only is she beautiful, Mrs. Irish is super cool too. She's a great lady.
The same can be said of your amazing wife, beautiful and tons of fun! We're both pretty damn lucky if you ask me!

As for the non-smoking... I fell off the wagon yesterday but haven't had one today so I guess today is day 1 again. The Mrs. said I should wait til after summer when we're not constantly BBQ'ing and pounding beers pool side, winter is definitely our slow down time. As for now I've only been a "social smoker" for a while and typically only when drinking.

pilotguyo540
07-11-10, 23:25
Pilot, I have met Irish's avatar. Not only is she beautiful, Mrs. Irish is super cool too. She's a great lady. Hopefully Irish made it. It is a misdemeanor to NOT smoke and drink in Vegas you know.

MRS. Avatar Irish you say.....
Hmmm......
I am going to stick my foot in mouth now :D

How was I supposed to know?! (Thanks for the heads up!)

I heard the same rumor about vegas, but I was told that only applied to reno.

pilotguyo540
07-11-10, 23:27
And a most humble apology to the honorable Mrs Irish and her understanding (hopefully) husband.

koji
07-12-10, 09:31
As for now I've only been a "social smoker" for a while and typically only when drinking.

I have the opposite problem, I only chew when I'm doing solitary activities but the problem is they're ones I really like. Shooting, reloading, welding, metal work...I'm going to need to figure out a new way to approach all that stuff or I'm as good as back to a can a day.

I tried reloading this weekend without chew. Agony. My old routine was wake up early; cup of coffee; huge load of lip turd; reload 100ish rounds. Can't sit at the bench at all without looking around for a can...

Nathan_Bell
07-12-10, 09:45
Day 7. One week with out a chew.

Day 4, my first day back on duty was rough.
Day 5, I was assaulted by an armed robbery suspect, which was quite therapeutic to say the least. Talk about opening the door. I had to take the shit head to the hospital before jail because him and the ground became one. He picked the wrong dude at the wrong time to go after. :D
Day 6, gravy.
Day 7, a slow Sunday. It was a little rough, but I made it.

I am eating so ****ing much. It is amazing who much you put in your mouth if you're not chewing. Even the seeds. I may need to go to fat-camp if I keep it up.

My sleep is still ****ed up. I can't stay asleep. This will get better. Once I get my sleep squared up, I will be spending way more time in the gym. I usually go to bed around 0000 hrs and rise at 0400 hrs. This needs to change.

Great work. First week sucked for me when quitting smoking.
I put on about 10 pounds when I quit, but as I have always eaten like a horse it wasn't too bad.

If you have a window for 6-8 hours sleep grab some Tylenol or Advil PM. I had to pop them a few times when I first quit. Otherwise the ****ed up dreams would screw up me getting night's sleep .

pilotguyo540
07-13-10, 12:53
:help:
I feel beat down from the relentlessness of this endeavor. I was bummed out big time yesterday and didnt want to do it anymore. I felt better when I woke up this morning, but as the day progresses I am growing less cheery.

cue R.Lee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APwfZYO1di4

cbyrd556
07-13-10, 16:02
I am in the same boat as all of you quiting. 15 year smoker and finally decided that I had enough. Got a cold a week and half ago and that pretty much sewed up the deal. Getting an upper respritory infection in the summer is just asinine. I bought an E cigarette and that is helping me out big time. I am starting with the highest dose nicotince juice you can get, I was a pack to pack and a half a day smoker, and you can purchase lower dose juices all the down to 0 as I go. It has helped alot already as I can only handle a few drags from the e cigarette on the highest dose before feeling a little pukey. I'm on day 7 and am pretty sure that within a month I won't even need this e cigarette at all. Anyways, good luck, ruck up, and drive on.

-Chance

Nathan_Bell
07-13-10, 20:00
I feel beat down from the relentlessness of this endeavor. I was bummed out big time yesterday and didnt want to do it anymore. I felt better when I woke up this morning, but as the day progresses I am growing less cheery.

cue R.Lee:

Yup, it sucks a bit a lot of the time. and really sucks sometimes.

It will get easier, but never easy.

Need anymore cliches? :laugh:
I can probably come up with a few more.

Oscar 319
07-13-10, 21:08

cue R.Lee:

Maybe you are not ready. The only way you will be successful is if YOU are ready to quit. Granted, it does suck.

Day 9

I went fishing with my son today. As hard as it was, I found it possible to fish with out a chew in. Yeah, I wasn't as smooth as I usually am and my line got tangled alot more and I may have said mother ****er more than was necessary, but I did it. The long drive was a killer to, but I survived. Another small victory.

I am embracing the suck. Having a fatty in my lip crossed my mind about 18 times a minute, but it ain't gonna happen.

Hang in there Pilot.

Nate B, thanks for your insight and hanging with us!

bkb0000
07-13-10, 21:20

cue R.Lee:

just remember it's only temporary. get through it, be done with it... and never have to go through this again.

40Arpent
07-14-10, 14:57
As hard as it was, I found it possible to fish with out a chew in.

I can't even begin to imagine. You are to be highly commended!

Pilot, hang in there bud! I am pulling for you man!

-Pete

M4Fundi
07-14-10, 17:26
I love this thread Im gettn closer to being ready to quit. not there yet, but close:eek:

pilotguyo540
07-14-10, 17:39
Thanks for the support guys! I am doing much better and still hanging in there.

I love this thread Im gettn closer to being ready to quit. not there yet, but close:eek:

M4Fundi, you will never be ready. I wouldn't anyways. I just did it. Getting ready to quit seemed harder than doing it. you can mind f*ck yourself into a panic attack if you dont reign it in. The big saving grace for me was the exhaustion in the first couple of days and the support I got here.

Today was day 10 so I bought a new Geissele trigger to celebrate!

bkb0000
07-14-10, 17:48
Thanks for the support guys! I am doing much better and still hanging in there.

M4Fundi, you will never be ready. I wouldn't anyways. I just did it. Getting ready to quit seemed harder than doing it. you can mind f*ck yourself into a panic attack if you dont reign it in. The big saving grace for me was the exhaustion in the first couple of days and the support I got here.

Today was day 10 so I bought a new Geissele trigger to celebrate!

now i'd make a deal with yourself- a sworn-on-the-bible deal that if you take a chew any time in the next year, you'll give away that trigger to some random internet poster.

taking a chew, even in the darkest hour, will not seem nearly so attractive when it costs you two bills.

Irish
07-14-10, 18:55
And a most humble apology to the honorable Mrs Irish and her understanding (hopefully) husband.

Not to worry and apology accepted. Believe me I understand, that's why I started chasing her :sarcastic:

Nathan_Bell
07-14-10, 20:14
now i'd make a deal with yourself- a sworn-on-the-bible deal that if you take a chew any time in the next year, you'll give away that trigger to some random internet poster.

taking a chew, even in the darkest hour, will not seem nearly so attractive when it costs you two bills.

Nah, he would need to give it to someone whose kit he uses once in a while. Nothing like the thought of having a buddy rub your nose in it to keep you on the straight and narrow.

neverenough
07-15-10, 08:17
Like many, I chewed Cope for 18+ years. I quit a few times but always returned. In march 2005 I decided enough was enough. Through out my can, spit out the chew in my mouth, heven't had a chew since. The first couple or three weeks suck, but after that, its a lot easier. Just don't crutch up on I chew because of stress, etc. We have all done that before. Make up your mind and stick to it..
BTW chewing gum is your friend. Figure out the triggers for you and work around them.
Imagine how much more cash you have for ammo when you don't buy chew? Just my .02 Good luck!!

Trajan
07-15-10, 13:14
So after reading this thread, I too have decided to stop. I'll miss nicotine, and maybe someday we can meet again. None since last Saturday and counting.

Nathan_Bell
07-15-10, 13:54
So after reading this thread, I too have decided to stop. I'll miss nicotine, and maybe someday we can meet again. None since last Saturday and counting.

Good job.

Oscar 319
07-15-10, 21:25

Welcome Bro. Hopefully, if your will is strong, you and that evil drug nicotine never meet again.

Now, hang on....
http://www.centuriontraininggroup.org/store/images/Embrace_the_Suck1.jpg

pilotguyo540
07-15-10, 23:04
Oscar, the embrace the suck is going to be my first tattoo! Never has anything summed it up so well. It fits.

cbyrd556
07-16-10, 10:19
It has been 9 days for me now and I have dropped the e cigarette too. It got me through the first 7 days of no smoking like a champ. I don't even have a craving like I normally would at this time in the morning. So officially I am day 2 of no nictotine and feel good. Let's see how the rest of the ride goes.

Oscar 319
07-16-10, 18:12
It has been 9 days for me now and I have dropped the e cigarette too. It got me through the first 7 days of no smoking like a champ. I don't even have a craving like I normally would at this time in the morning. So officially I am day 2 of no nictotine and feel good. Let's see how the rest of the ride goes.

Congats cbyrd. Hold on tight. The craves will come. Be ready. We're here with you.

Trajan
07-17-10, 07:52
Good job.

Welcome Bro. Hopefully, if your will is strong, you and that evil drug nicotine never meet again.

Now, hang on....
http://www.centuriontraininggroup.org/store/images/Embrace_the_Suck1.jpg

Thanks guys. I guess it isn't as bad for me since I'm only 20 and was never a pack a day/can a day kind of person. It is a bit weird being off.

Anyone get that "tinny" feeling in their mouth without nicotine? It's like your mouth wants it.

Well one week and counting. Now that I'm accountable to those in this thread, I think it will be easier.

Oscar 319
07-18-10, 21:52
In a few hours it will have been a solid 14 days since I had a chew.

Strangley, two weeks in and today was hell. Yesterday wasn't, today was? I could hardly think straight this morning...very edgy, lots of anxiety. I did try some Smokey Mountain herbal shit. It actually scratches the itch temporarily. I have mixed feelings about using this stuff. It doesn't help with the "habit" part of the addiction, yet it keeps the chew out of your beek. Even tonight the cravings are bad.

These things re-affirm what a nasty, controlling drug nicotine is. This re-affirms why I will not put that poison in my face. Not tonight. Not tomorrow. Never again. I can control that.

I hope everyone else who has chosen to rid themselve of this poison is doing well.

Carry on.

tiny_tj
07-18-10, 22:48
I have kicked the can several times, but not more than a couple of hours. I quit smoking over night and have not had a craving in over two years but can't seem to quit chewing for the life of me. After reading this i will try once again starting after i spit this one out and flush the remaning part of the can.... WISH ME LUCK PLEASE.

Nathan_Bell
07-19-10, 08:16
In a few hours it will have been a solid 14 days since I had a chew.

Strangley, two weeks in and today was hell. Yesterday wasn't, today was? I could hardly think straight this morning...very edgy, lots of anxiety. I did try some Smokey Mountain herbal shit. It actually scratches the itch temporarily. I have mixed feelings about using this stuff. It doesn't help with the "habit" part of the addiction, yet it keeps the chew out of your beek. Even tonight the cravings are bad.

These things re-affirm what a nasty, controlling drug nicotine is. This re-affirms why I will not put that poison in my face. Not tonight. Not tomorrow. Never again. I can control that.

I hope everyone else who has chosen to rid themselve of this poison is doing well.

Carry on.

Sucks about the cravings and how they just pop up. I still get them sometimes. They tend to come at the oddest times too. I have kicked the "i am drinking my morning coffee', 'i just had a big meal', and the 'this #&*&($##ing part won't go on fer shit!' cravings. Now have them occasionally arrive without rhyme or reason.

Was working on the initial drawings for a new garage and was jonesing. WTF? Just shook it off and kept rolling, but it is odd.

pilotguyo540
07-19-10, 20:00
Sucks about the cravings and how they just pop up. I still get them sometimes. They tend to come at the oddest times too. I have kicked the "i am drinking my morning coffee', 'i just had a big meal', and the 'this #&*&($##ing part won't go on fer shit!' cravings. Now have them occasionally arrive without rhyme or reason.

Was working on the initial drawings for a new garage and was jonesing. WTF? Just shook it off and kept rolling, but it is odd.

I hear that! I still have the stress induced cravings every bloody day. The devil on my shoulder is urging me to cheat. No one will know, he says. Who gives a shit about quitting, you have earned it a thousand times over. Look over there, that guy just took a fat chew and now he is taunting you. Enough about my schizophrenia! Lol.

The suck is real, but oddly enough its not the tobacco for me. If I was single again this would be in the bag. Soon enough

2 wee:dance3:ks down

cbyrd556
07-20-10, 10:30
I hear that! I still have the stress induced cravings every bloody day. The devil on my shoulder is urging me to cheat. No one will know, he says. Who gives a shit about quitting, you have earned it a thousand times over. Look over there, that guy just took a fat chew and now he is taunting you. Enough about my schizophrenia! Lol.

The suck is real, but oddly enough its not the tobacco for me. If I was single again this would be in the bag. Soon enough

2 wee:dance3:ks down

LOL. No truer words have been spoken. Congrats on the 2 week mark. I work in IT so I understand the stress cravings, just have to keep driving on and embrace the suck. Push ups have become my friend again, when I get a craving I drop and do 20. Sounds stupid but it works for me. Take care and keep up the good work brother.

pilotguyo540
07-21-10, 09:25
I am wound up way too tight. I am ready to snap at the first sign of stress. I feel like a douche bag. I am almost ready to jump ship just so I can tolerate myself for awhile. Anyone else like that? I probably should get professional help with this issue, but I am due for my airman medical and don't want to do anything to put that in jeopardy. Bunch of bureaucratic bull shit. Freakin feds! (See what I mean? :D )

Oscar 319
07-21-10, 10:29
Head games now bro. Fight it. The nicotine is out. It's just cravings.

Stop by a Walmart and pick up some Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff. I was up on the mountain all day long for the second day in a row. Long drive to get there. The drive, the mountain and fishing are all great times for a dip. I chewed that stuff both days. It works great to scratch the itch.

pilotguyo540
07-22-10, 01:18
Head games now bro. Fight it. The nicotine is out. It's just cravings.

Stop by a Walmart and pick up some Smokey Mountain Herbal Snuff. I was up on the mountain all day long for the second day in a row. Long drive to get there. The drive, the mountain and fishing are all great times for a dip. I chewed that stuff both days. It works great to scratch the itch.

I made the 35 minute drive into the valley to the closest walmart to buy this stuff this afternoon. It is terrible, but it seems to work a little. The shit tastes like dex-cool. Ironically enough, listed in the ingredients is propylene glycol, the base for dex-cool. For those who don't know what dex-cool is, it is GM's long life anti freeze. Personally I would have preferred transmission fluid. Very aromatic.

Very strange. I will test further in the morning. I do feel much more relaxed, but who knows if it will last or is even related.

pilotguyo540
07-22-10, 01:31
LOL. No truer words have been spoken. Congrats on the 2 week mark. I work in IT so I understand the stress cravings, just have to keep driving on and embrace the suck. Push ups have become my friend again, when I get a craving I drop and do 20. Sounds stupid but it works for me. Take care and keep up the good work brother.

Thanks man. What kind of plane is in your avatar? From the 1/2 square millimeter photo on my blackberry I can't tell to save my life. something british? Early cold war era?

cbyrd556
07-22-10, 09:41
Thanks man. What kind of plane is in your avatar? From the 1/2 square millimeter photo on my blackberry I can't tell to save my life. something british? Early cold war era?

It is a Mig of some variant or another. Not really sure, I spotted it sitting in front of some antique shops outside of Dallas. I believe it is a Mig 15. I couldn't believe how tiny the cockpit was, dashed all hopes of my big ass being a pilot. Not that there was a good shot anyways, I played Center in college.

pilotguyo540
07-24-10, 14:14
Howdy gents,

I hope you are all doing good and keeping on track. I am doing pretty damn good today. The smokey mountain chew that oscar319 mentioned does work. I think that may be addicting in itself :) I swear I caught a buzz from it the other day! The taste is horrid, but it won't kill you. There are something like 7 flavors and I have only had the classic. Its not really that bad, but you have to get used to it.

Good luck this weekend

tampam4
07-24-10, 14:16
I'm happy for all of you guys, as much as it sucks you are sticking with it, and you will come out on top in the long run. Good job!:lol:

Oscar 319
07-24-10, 14:25
Howdy gents,

I hope you are all doing good and keeping on track. I am doing pretty damn good today. The smokey mountain chew that oscar319 mentioned does work. I think that may be addicting in itself :) I swear I caught a buzz from it the other day! The taste is horrid, but it won't kill you. There are something like 7 flavors and I have only had the classic. Its not really that bad, but you have to get used to it.

Good luck this weekend

Yeah, I felt the buzz too. It may have been purely from relief that it provided. I went to a bar and partied hard last night... first time since my quit. Smokey Mtn wintergreen (tastes like Skoal) pulled me through with out nicotine.

I've only tried the staight and wintergreen; it's all that's sold around here. It really does help.

Oscar 319
07-28-10, 15:43
How are all you quitters doing?

I still have highs and lows. 24 days in and still need to remind myself that there will be no chewing today.

I have found the Smokey Mountain Chew to be awesome. I may just get hooked on it. No nicotine, no cancer, no tobacco, no tobacco tax, no problems.

http://www.smokeshack.com/ProductImages/moistsnuff/SmokeyMountainProducts2.jpg

I have had the Striaght and Wintergreen snuff and the Wintergreen pouches.

The pouches are awesome. They last a long time and give a good "burn" us chew junkies love. The snuff is good when you want the good 'ole days, spitten yer chaw kind of feeling. I like it when I'm fishing or in the outdoors.

The Smokey Mountain stuff is way easier going on your mouth/tounge than sunflower seeds.

Just a tip for those who may be craving. Keep up the quit...I hope I'm not the only one.

pilotguyo540
07-28-10, 15:59
I'm here huckleberry.

Rough damn day. I am now hooked on the smokey mountain wintergreen. It does hurt my stomach by the end of the day. I wonder what the point is, of quitting one kind of chew for another. I almost started the good stuff again today at lunch, but I resisted for now.

platoonDaddy
07-28-10, 16:12
Starting chewing in the mid 50's in highSchool , of course through 20+ years in the Army and then into my second career. In the mid 90's the dentist said, you should immediately visit a dermatologist.

So off I went, she took a biopsy and informed me that it certainly looked suspicious, Walked out of her office and threw the shit away, two days (or whatever the time frame) later, she gave me a clean bill of health.

Haven't touched the shit since then.

OUT

Hapainwa
07-29-10, 01:36
Well guys, After an early falling off, I've been GTG since. Probably helps that I just had surgery and can't just drive off to go get a can. The headaches we're sucking, glad they're gone.

buff
08-12-10, 12:35
I'm fairly new here and understand where your coming from. I'm starting the quitting process this friday. I chewed since I was 12 until I was 25 years old. I quit for 10 years and when we moved four hours north for a new job I started again. I was good my whole first year working at the job (refinery) and being around everyone that chews and drinks...lol I started last year and have been on it ever since. It seems this time is harder than before. I chewed for 13 years before and now for one and I went a week over 4th of July without any, but fell right back into it. I used Golden Eagle herbal chew before. It's made in Oregon and I used it last time to quit. I bought a variety flavor roll and I remember it only taking me a roll and I was GTG. Well, I ordered some this week and it should be here friday or saturday; and the quitting process begins for good.

Cowtown44
08-19-10, 03:17
All,

Just stay the course. It WILL get better and the craving WILL go away. I was a 20+ year user of Cope and I'm now quit 2340 days.

I highly recommend this site. I've been there since day 1 of my quit. Also, don't think you can't quit if it's your first serious attempt. I did it and so can you.

http://forum.qssn.org/

Go to quit groups, find your group and start posting and reading.

buff
08-19-10, 10:59
today at 18:00 I will be at the 72 hour mark without any snuff. The first 24 was a breeze honestly. Yesterday was a little more difficult; due to the fact I found myself extremely hungry. Today hasn't been that bad either. I have some herbal chew and I guess thats helping. I haven't found myself craving it that bad while I'm home. It's when I'm at work I seem to chew it more often. Oh well, I have been staying active both physically and mentally.

JR TACTICAL
08-19-10, 12:38
Hey bro, try Chantix, its a pill that you take and it helps with the neurotransmitters in your brain and blocks the uptake of endorphins that you get from chewing. I work for a Fire Department and have seen alot of guys that have chewed for 20+ years and one month of chantix and they are chew-free. The only down side is that its a perscription from your doc and it cost $100 out of pocket but IT WORKS if you have anymore questions feel free to get in touch with me and we can talk about it

www.chantix.com/

Oscar 319
08-19-10, 16:20
Congrats on the 72 hrs buff.

I am at 46 days and it still sucks. You have good days and bad days. Right now I would like to bite someones face off. You have to tell your self that you quit every day, and refuse to cave.

Beware of Chantix. Google it. I know it has worked for many folks, however it can have some nasty side effects. It is a risk I can not take with my line of work. Just going at it without the comfort of a lip turd is enough for me.

Ultimately it is your willingness to quit that will make or break you. Good luck Quitters!

pilotguyo540
08-20-10, 00:58
I gave in and bought a can if the real stuff today. I am so ashamed :(. I couldn't get my smokey mountain to save my life. Double frowney :( :(! I just said "F" it. Then the strangest thing happened. I took a chew and hated it. It tastes way different now. My biggest problem is getting my fake chew. Walmart is the only retailer in my area who sells it. I travel all the time and am really busy and constantly on the move. I can't find this crap to save my life when I need it. I have been out of my smokey mountain for 2 days now and it sucks. Cope snuff sucks now too. What's an addict to do?

buff
08-20-10, 06:19
Well, so far so good.

Pilotguy, try the Golden Eagle. Their never out of it. They ship fast. And keep fighting the good fight it/your worth it.

Oscar, JR and Cowtown, thanks guys. Oscar (46 days) my hats off to ya bud.

pilotguyo540
08-20-10, 06:27
Well, so far so good.

Pilotguy, try the Golden Eagle. Their never out of it. They ship fast. And keep fighting the good fight it/your worth it.

Oscar, JR and Cowtown, thanks guys. Oscar (46 days) my hats off to ya bud.

Golden eagle you say.... I will have to give that a shot. I checked the smokey mountain website and walmart was removed from the list of retailers. 7-eleven too. Now its just Ralph's (new vendor). There is no ralphs anywhere close to me.

I still have my can of cope in my pocket, but I don't even want it. So I guess that means I quit. I have to say that's a major card in the mental game. I am really stoked.

Good luck Buff! Thanks for reviving this thread too. Its really good for morale. :D

tip2oo3
08-20-10, 20:49
7 Days and just about to make it through the 1st night of patrol. Haven't bit anyone's head off........yet...... Anyone else losing a shit-ton of sleep without the can? I can't seem to be asleep for more than 2 hours at a time.

pilotguyo540
08-20-10, 22:40
7 Days and just about to make it through the 1st night of patrol. Haven't bit anyone's head off........yet...... Anyone else losing a shit-ton of sleep without the can? I can't seem to be asleep for more than 2 hours at a time.

Advil PM. Only take one. Melatonin works too.

Good job!

For the record...

That can I bought yesterday was dumped out in the dirt. I feel great even without my fake chew (STILL CANT FIND ANY ANYWHERE).

CBTech
08-21-10, 00:13
I've quit dipping about 4 times before. Two times I quit for over a year. This time, the fifth, I've been dip free about 6 months.

I have found that if you get strep throat or a really bad soar throat it is pretty easy. I caught strep and couldn't even eat, much less dip, for about 5 days. I had more ailments than the headaches from not dipping.

tip2oo3
08-21-10, 15:07
Advil PM. Only take one. Melatonin works too.

Ugh. wish I could, I'm on call basically 24/7 and sleep aides really take me out. Good news is I got two 3-hour naps last night.

Jonesal08
08-21-10, 16:16
I've been going strong on Cope, about a can a day. Also looking to quit though. I've found that putting in coffee grounds suffices for me. It obviously wont put you to sleep though. Still get stained teeth too. Gotta quit though, slowly losing my gums and spending a ton of money on the stuff.
Also, look up pics of the effects on youtube, that alone is enough to turn some people streight.

RyanS
08-21-10, 21:47
"F" it. I've been thinking about quiting for about a year now. It's been a little over twenty years of Skoal...started in high school to cut the cravings when I was cutting weight for wrestling, kept dipping in college and law school to get through long nights of studying, and just kept going. Made many promises to quit along the way...when I graduated, when I got my job, when I got married, when my first son was born, when my second son was born. It never happend, I think in large part because I didn't want to.

I'm tired of worrying about cancer everytime I get a soar throat, canker sore, weird neck pain or stomach ache. Tonight as I was watching ?The Shootist" with Jon Wayne, I was playing with my 1 year old and looking into his eyes, I realized that its time. I want to quit. I want to be around to see my sons grow up, see the many "firsts" of their lives. What hit me the worst was when I caught my 4 year old spitting into his chocolate milk. When I asked what he was doing, he said he was spitting out his jerms like I do. That made me feel pretty ashamed. I'm tired of this crutch. I'm tired of loading up the boys to run down the street when my wife is at work to go pick up another can.

Anyway, tomorrow is my "D-Day". It's time.

tip2oo3
08-21-10, 22:37
good luck ryan. Smokey Mountain has been my saving grace the past couple days. I highly recommend it. I signed up for the free sample and it arrived in 4 days.
http://smokeysnuff.com/.

Day 8 for me and 2nd night of patrol. Hopefully I can get some sleep tonight.

RyanS
08-23-10, 11:10
I've just passed 36 hrs. Yesterday I had headaches and cravings but I was able to get through it with lots of water and gum. Today, I've got what I think is referred to as "Quitters flu", nausea, headache, extremely fatigued, can't concentrate, and stiff/sore. I don't know how much of it actually from withdrawal as it from not being able to sleep last night. Maybe got 2 hrs. Interestingly, today, I've not had one craving. In fact, just thinking about it makes me gag.

tip2oo3
08-23-10, 16:58
I've just passed 36 hrs. Yesterday I had headaches and cravings but I was able to get through it with lots of water and gum. Today, I've got what I think is referred to as "Quitters flu", nausea, headache, extremely fatigued, can't concentrate, and stiff/sore. I don't know how much of it actually from withdrawal as it from not being able to sleep last night. Maybe got 2 hrs. Interestingly, today, I've not had one craving. In fact, just thinking about it makes me gag.

congrats, keep it up!

RyanS
08-24-10, 22:29
I've officially made it to 72 hrs as of 10:00 pm tonight. Recapping, day one was okay with just an all day headache and cravings, day two sucked ass with flu or hangover like symptoms, day three was great. I noted more so today than the previous two that I was doing things such as reading new Supreme Court decisions, researching case law, driving to court, yard work, dishes, or just dicking around on the interweb, which were things that I used to do with chew in. When I caught myself, the addicted part of me would tell the other part of me that I missed it. The sane part of me would then tell the other part of me to shove up my ass. There's no going back.

buff
08-24-10, 23:00
Goodjob guys. I'm at 8 days now. I had what seemed like flu symptoms on day 5 which seems weird reading about you guys in the the first three days. Dunno what it was really, because my wifes been having major allergies and we kinda had the same symptoms. She wasn't aching, although I was. I've gone through 2.5 cans of the Golden Eagle in eight days. Not bad I don't believe, considering I'd of chewed 4-6 cans of Skoal in that same time frame. Man what a waste of money looking back. I wish I had all the money I spent on chew in the last 24 years.

Oscar 319
08-24-10, 23:28
I've officially made it to 72 hrs as of 10:00 pm tonight. When I caught myself, the addicted part of me would tell the other part of me that I missed it. The sane part of me would then tell the other part of me to shove up my ass. There's no going back.

Awesome!

RyanS
08-26-10, 09:10
5 days. Feeling great. Yesterday had some cravings. Pressed through with peppermint gum and cold water.

I've been trying to put a number on how much I've spent on chew over the past 20 years. I'm trying to figure out an average cost per can.

buff
08-26-10, 11:57
Roughly $6,000 give or take a few. I could have alot more rifles with $6,000. No more wasted snuff money along with the health risks.

Coperator
08-29-10, 22:38
Keep at it brother. I quit cold turkey over 10 years ago. First few weeks was tough but after that I never missed it.

davestarbuck
08-29-10, 22:51
My friend, all I can say is just stop....

That's how I quit cigarettes 12 years ago...

I still want one from time to time, but I just don't...

That's all I can say..

-dave

pilotguyo540
02-26-11, 23:56
Gentlemen, I would like to revive this and get everyone's results and see who is still on the wagon. It has been almost 8 months since we started down this path.

As for myself, I fell off twice but promptly returned. I chew smokey mountain snuff now. I would love to quit that and have started to step down. There is no nicotine or tobacco in it.

your turn...

Oscar 319
02-27-11, 05:58
I have not had a dip since July.

I now chew nicotine gum daily. :dirol: :suicide:

Habit broke. Addiction....hmm, welll....Walmart brand fruit chill nico gum is delicious.

neverenough
02-27-11, 07:49
Next month will be 5 years without a dip. Stay the course!:D

M4Fundi
02-28-11, 01:05
Been gutlessly following this thread as I need to quit, don't want to quit bad enough, but this thread finally gave me the balls to tell myself I need to stop this crap... I'm working on it and posting here is the beginning...

Hi, my name is M4Fundi and I'm a dipaholic:fie:

M4Fundi
02-28-11, 01:05
doubled on me

Oscar 319
02-28-11, 06:15
Been gutlessly following this thread as I need to quit, don't want to quit bad enough yet, but this thread finally gave me the balls to tell myself I need to stop this crap... I'm working on it and posting here is the beginning...

http://watchplayread.com/files/2010/11/Waterboy_2.jpg

pilotguyo540
02-28-11, 16:18
M4fundi, Good luck! I only quit because I read Oscar319's post and it made me feel guilty :haha: I am glad I stuck with it.

Lent is coming up on March 9th. I want to quit the rest of the way then. Anyone care to join me?

M4Fundi
02-28-11, 21:12
My habit is more of a post divorce thing, so I guess when I get over that it will be easier.

Smedley
02-28-11, 22:21

That's funny. Inspiration for me is having one of only 3 chicks I've ever had a complete crush on in my life say recently, "I think you should stop chewing tobacco." And I was sure she had no knowledge of my chewing addiction. So much for trying to be sneaky, chicks know! I've got a wad of Red Seal in my mouth as I'm writing this. $2.39 a tin. Why does big Govt. tax the Hell outta cigarettes but leave smokeless pretty much alone? If it was $7.00 bucks a can I'd be 10 times more inclined to quit. Another thing is in my social circles nobody bums a chew off of you, but if you're a smoker they'll bum a smoke in a heartbeat. People bumming smokes off me was a big factor in my quitting smoking 15 yrs. ago.
I'm gonna ask my doc about Chantix the next time I see him...
My name is Smedley, and I'm a dipaholic.

HES
03-01-11, 16:29
This is what I get for letting myself go. How many years on this board and I've never checked out this forum.

My name is HES, I'm a fat slob and a crack whore to copenhagen (nearly 2 cans a day) and @ 40 I hate what I have done to my body.

To which I started working out a week ago and I'm digging it. So that part it working out so far. I'm also fed up with dipping. Ive tried to quit several times and didn't. Why? because I am lazy. Sure I've tried to ease off but I always get to a point to where I forget that I should be chewing gum instead. So I go right back to the can and fall off the wagon. I do want to quit. I want to quit for me. I want to quit for the wife, the kids, and the girlfriend (:D).

This thread has oodles of data and support in it. Monday the 7th will be my quit date.

M4Fundi
03-01-11, 23:15
In 1997 I was dipping into my 3rd can a day of Cope (loved it;)) and then decided time to quit. I would quit and then alas go buy a can, so I set the discipline that I could only take one dip per can and would then toss it "immediately" out the window... this was VERY expensive and finally one day I said enough and just quit. Never touched the Copenhagen since, but then 10 years later decided that the Bandits were a good thing and went from one Bandit at a time to double Bandits and then moved up to Pouches and sometimes double up on Pouches. Dipping Bandits and Pouches is akin to eating pussy thru panty hose:(, so if I don't stop soon I will be pulling the panty hose off my Pouches or dipping snuff again:eek: Need to quit soon:p

SGTMAJ
03-02-11, 08:25
Dipped for over 10 years in the Corps wife said I needed to stop I had to agree. did it when I deployed as a company gunny felt sorry for the company for the first 2 weeks I was more of a bear than normal. sunflower seeds helped alot. My mouth was so raw and salty after 3 days culdnt have dipped if I wanted to. have not had a dip now in 15 years once in a while I get the urge and go buy a bag of seeds and Im fine.

theblackknight
03-02-11, 11:45
Ive never dipped, but I love seeds and pistashios. Ill go thru a whole 16oz bag on a hump, and wont taste anything for a day cause my toungue is raw.

tucsonan
03-02-11, 16:22
When I quit, a miserable experience to be sure, I made a vow to stay out of convenience stores for the first month or so. On other failed attempts I found that the habitual weakness would always break me at the counter and I would ask for a can. Haven't dipped in a year.

JStor
03-02-11, 19:52
I quit chewin' and pipe smoking over thirty years ago. One thing that helped is to imagine what the manufacturers put in that Copenhagen or Skol or whatever...microscopic insect eggs, floor sweepings, crushed glass, dried you-know-what...it really helps you change your mind about what you are putting into your mouth.

I still like the smell of pipe tobacco when I encounter the aroma somewhere, but I have decided that I am not going to be in bondage to a plant.

bkb0000
03-02-11, 20:01
...I have decided that I am not going to be in bondage to a plant.

if it wasn't for addiction, i'd probably chew every day.

but when i CANT chew, life becomes miserable- and i cannot be beholden to a ****ing corporate product.

Smedley
03-03-11, 00:11
LOL, I had to look at the topic header, I thought you might be talking about peanut butter...

or whatever...microscopic insect eggs, floor sweepings, crushed glass, dried you-know-what...it really helps you change your mind about what you are putting into your mouth.

khc3
03-05-11, 23:38
Next month will be 5 years without a dip. Stay the course!:D

Just passed 4 years after using Chantix (one 12 week course).

Still wish I could enjoy a nice cigar with a glass of scotch, but the desire passes pretty quickly.

khc3
03-05-11, 23:42
When I quit, a miserable experience to be sure, I made a vow to stay out of convenience stores for the first month or so. On other failed attempts I found that the habitual weakness would always break me at the counter and I would ask for a can. Haven't dipped in a year.

Yeah, paying at the pump was a lifesaver for me. The habit of filling up the tank and then going inside for a can of Cope and a Coke was a strong one.

Smedley
03-06-11, 00:39
so I set the discipline that I could only take one dip per can and would then toss it "immediately" out the window... this was VERY expensive and finally one day I said enough and just quit.

I've Been there, and I've done exactly that. Started smoking cigarettes in the mid 70's (teenager). I quit smoking for good in '94. Quitting smoking was far easier for me than trying to quit chew. Why is that?
Seems like direct inhalation of nicotine would be a far harder monkey to kick off your back than the time released version of smokeless?

M4Fundi
03-06-11, 00:51
I read somewhere that a can of cope had the equivalent of 40 smokes worth of nicotine in it. Don't know if that is true, but I sure enjoyed the 120 smokes worth of nicotine a day I was getting back in the 90s;) but darn when you read the damage nicotine does: destroys blood vessels to penis causing them to leak, mouth cancer, esophogeal cancer, stomach cancer, colon cancer, etc. :eek:It makes it not as enjoyable:mad:

I need to sit down and add up how much I spent on it the last 2 years and imagine the KAC, Noveske, BCM or Ammo I could have and that might help:p

M4Fundi
03-06-11, 00:53
Darn, just did the math. I spent about $3120 on Skoal Pouches the last 2 years.... FRIGGIN STUPID:(

That is over $3K on rat tampons to chew on... go to stop this crap

Atchcraft
03-06-11, 02:43
Darn, just did the math. I spent about $3120 on Skoal Pouches the last 2 years.... FRIGGIN STUPID:(

That is over $3K on rat tampons to chew on... go to stop this crap

LOL! I've never heard "rat tampon" before. It's been over 25 years for me and I'd love to quit. I'm just a bit worried about that first week of rage you have to go through. You're right, it is stupid. This year I've started eating better, drinking less and back in the gym... seems like a natural progression. I'll die before I give up coffee though.

bkb0000
03-06-11, 06:43
I'll die before I give up coffee though.

coffee is good for you, so long as you dont dehydrate yourself.

i was listening to a show on NPR not too long ago, and they had a neurosurgeon from some respected research center who claims to drink a minimum of 5 cups of coffee a day, and thinks all adults should to the same, as it seems to drastically reduce the occurrence of alzheimer's.

like i needed an excuse anyway. :laugh:

pilotguyo540
03-06-11, 12:06
coffee is good for you, so long as you dont dehydrate yourself.

i was listening to a show on NPR not too long ago, and they had a neurosurgeon from some respected research center who claims to drink a minimum of 5 cups of coffee a day, and thinks all adults should to the same, as it seems to drastically reduce the occurrence of alzheimer's.

like i needed an excuse anyway. :laugh:

I too will never give up coffee!!!

I was thinking a little about this yesterday and it dawned on me that life has turned completely around since I quit chewing. It was one hell of a catalyst to fix things. This was my first step if you will. It sucked, I got through it (Thanks Oscar319!!!), then the other cancers of my life didn't seem so daunting. I am not done fixing things, but I am heading in the right direction and I am picking up steam. The me of a year ago would barely recognize the me of today.

Ash Wednesday (march 9th) I am giving up my fake chew. I don't think my new girl friend has any idea. Now is a great time to finish this.

Atchcraft
03-06-11, 14:48
As a Seatlle native, that's the best news I've heard all day! Who'd of thunk it... something I truely enjoy is good for me! I only drink 2-3 large cups in the AM and water the rest of the day, so I think I'm on track.

I never thought I'd be motivated to quit chewing on this forum, but this thread has really got me thinking that I can pull it off. Thank you all.

press8506
03-06-11, 17:28
I am glad I found this thread. I have been a 1-2 can a day dipper for nearly 20 years. Despite numerous pleas from wife and kids I have been unfortunate to fall off the wagon every time I get on it.

recently I went in for a physical and talked with my doc about strange things I have noticed about my legs. They started turning wierd colors down by my ankles, especially around where my socks end on my leg. And my legs started swelling around the same area. Turns out I have some sort of degenerative damage to my veins especially in that area because gravity draws blood down. the veins don't have what ever it takes to get the blood circulating back north again anymore.

I'm a fairly healthy man and can assume that the nicotine is a good prime suspect for this condition. My doctor agreed. It's time to quit. My plan is simple: I'm giving my wife my atm card. That's it. If I can't buy it, I can't dip it. Wish me luck guys and I hope my story will be of some motivation to others as yours has been to me.

Atchcraft
03-06-11, 18:13
I wish you luck... and pray for those around you.

Smedley
03-16-11, 16:52
My last dip was 3-11-2011. That makes 4 1/2 days w/o a dip so far. Strategy so far has been self imposed isolation from external stimuli, and two, 2 mg. nicorette gum twice a day. I'm not real happy substituting the gum for the chew, but I'm not using any where near the 4 mg. gum every one to two hrs. as directed on the gum box. The gum is so nasty tasting that it's curtailed my dip desire very well so far. I'll stay on the gum a little while longer and then wean myself off of the gum. Compared to the chew in my mouth every waking moment I think I'm doing good so far. This thread did give me some impetus to stop, so thanks fellow dipoholics and fellow patriots:-)

I wish you luck... and pray for those around you.

Oscar 319
03-16-11, 17:06
My last dip was 3-11-2011. That makes 4 1/2 days w/o a dip so far. Strategy so far has been self imposed isolation from external stimuli, and two, 2 mg. nicorette gum twice a day. I'm not real happy substituting the gum for the chew, but I'm not using any where near the 4 mg. gum every one to two hrs. as directed on the gum box. The gum is so nasty tasting that it's curtailed my dip desire very well so far. I'll stay on the gum a little while longer and then wean myself off of the gum. Compared to the chew in my mouth every waking moment I think I'm doing good so far. This thread did give me some impetus to stop, so thanks fellow dipoholics and fellow patriots:-)

Congrats! Careful with the gum. I was doing good too.....I'm still chewing that shit (4mg gum). :no: The Walmart brand fruit chill nico-gum is delicious. :rolleyes:

No chewing though.

brianc3
04-27-11, 07:59
I know this thread has been quiet for a while but I'm trying my hand at quitting. It's been 12 days so far, no physical symptoms to speak of, but spending hours a day in the car (which is where I always chewed) is killing me.

yellowfin
04-27-11, 08:46
Bubble gum and beef jerky are your friends for that.

pilotguyo540
04-27-11, 10:45
I know this thread has been quiet for a while but I'm trying my hand at quitting. It's been 12 days so far, no physical symptoms to speak of, but spending hours a day in the car (which is where I always chewed) is killing me.

Good luck! No physical symptoms? Lucky man!!! It can be done.I am successfully off of the fake chew now too. It is awesome. It is worth the struggle. Keep your chin up.

brianc3
04-27-11, 13:29
Good luck! No physical symptoms? Lucky man!!! It can be done.I am successfully off of the fake chew now too. It is awesome. It is worth the struggle. Keep your chin up.

Thanks. Gonna try to get by those tough times with some gum and maybe a few sunflower seeds.

Six oh Nine
05-01-11, 00:21
man i dont know what people see in chewing, i dont get it , just seems like a waste

M4Fundi
12-15-11, 03:51
OK, I did it. I friggin quit Skoal Long Cut and am off the Rat Tampons too!

It sucks, but I feel alot better physically and in personal fortitude (pussywhipped, er uh nicotine whipped before:p) glad to be done with the poison, but miss the ritual:(

People now think I'm gay because I keep lookin at men's asses for the ring wondering if they are holding and if I see it I stare at it as it walks by beckoning me to ask/beg for a dip. :eek:

If I find out the world is gonna get hit by an asteroid or some other end of the world in 4 days thing happens the first thing I'm gonna do is go buy 4 logs of Copenhagen and dip a log a day until the end, but until then I quit.;)

thecarfarmer
12-15-11, 09:02
I have to admit the first time I quit smoking I did it by taking up chew. I hated chewing so much that it was easy to quit.

But if I actually liked chewing, then I don't know what I would have done.

That's how I ended up starting the Cope. And, I didn't like it - at first. But, my chest was in pain, all day, every day.

Next thing I knew, I was chewing all day, every day. And after spitting a couple times, I'd just drink coffee, and swallow whatever tobacco juice went down with.

The best part: I found myself still smoking, and sometimes it'd be with a dip in my mouth.

So then I found myself with a compulsion to chew AND smoke. Great...

About a year and a half ago, I decided that I was just going to HTFU and go through the withdrawals for the last time and be done with it. Every time I gave in and had 'just one', all I did was reset the misery clock to zero, and have to go through the whole process of withdrawing again.

What I've found since then... first off, jonesing isn't going to kill me.

Second, I'll miss the habit sometimes. So what. It's like missing a crazy ex who was hot in bed - there was a reason she's an EX, no matter how hot the action was.

Third, anti-depressants help. A bit. But it's still a mother****er.

Fourth, no matter how bad I want to pick up right now, this feeling is transient. It will eventually leave. Unless I succumb... then I go back to square one. Again. Which totally sucks balls.

And lastly, quitting is hard. That's why it's addiction, as opposed to some vague desire. Just like quitting crack or meth (DAMHIK). No use sitting around and whining about how hard it is, but on the other hand just acknowledge that I'm doing something really difficult and stressful, and accept that this will involve discomfort and effort. Which means that even when it sucks, that's okay - it doesn't mean I'm doing anything wrong.

So, am I cured? Hmm.... I actually had over a year off from nicotine once, and picked back up. So, I don't want to get cocky and think I can ever put my guard down. But, it does feel good to be free of that shit after twenty years of quitting, controlled use, hiding, quitting again, and etc.

Just my .02; hope it helps someone.

-Bill

Brimstone
12-15-11, 23:18
OK, I did it. I friggin quit Skoal Long Cut and am off the Rat Tampons too!

It sucks, but I feel alot better physically and in personal fortitude (pussywhipped, er uh nicotine whipped before:p) glad to be done with the poison, but miss the ritual:(

People now think I'm gay because I keep lookin at men's asses for the ring wondering if they are holding and if I see it I stare at it as it walks by beckoning me to ask/beg for a dip. :eek:

If I find out the world is gonna get hit by an asteroid or some other end of the world in 4 days thing happens the first thing I'm gonna do is go buy 4 logs of Copenhagen and dip a log a day until the end, but until then I quit.;)

I don't know if it gets any easier. I quit Cope for ten years and then one day at a football game I thought "one lil dip won't kill me". I was back to my old ways for the next three years before I quit again. I have been clean again for about three years now.

ra2bach
12-16-11, 01:18
what if you don't WANT to quit? I won't say I love it, but I'm the only one around that doesn't want me to quit...

roboa89
12-16-11, 18:55
Well im on my 2nd day without chew! Been chewing skoal and copenhagen pouches for a few years. It started out as a once in a while habit, turned into a constant habit. I hated always needing something to spit in when walking in stores, hated putting up with people at stores without a chew. Anyways I tried cutting it back gradually, but it never worked. So i quit half way through a can, i chucked it out the window of my jeep. ;) And im not going back! Now I just need to drop about twenty pounds and I'll be gtg.

Trajan
12-17-11, 11:40
what if you don't WANT to quit? I won't say I love it, but I'm the only one around that doesn't want me to quit...

Same. I attempted to quit, but I'm too addicted to nicotine. I don't see any advantage to quitting, plus quitting is for quitters. :D

At least my method of nicotine delivery is one of the least harmful ones (Swedish Snus).

pilotguyo540
12-17-11, 13:37

I didn't want to quit either. I just decided to freaking do it. Thanks oscar319! Read this from the beginning to see what you will encounter along the way. It's worth it.

Brimstone
12-17-11, 14:46
Same. I attempted to quit, but I'm too addicted to nicotine. I don't see any advantage to quitting, plus quitting is for quitters. :D

At least my method of nicotine delivery is one of the least harmful ones (Swedish Snus).

I was in a similar state of mind the first time I quit. I had been dipping for a long time and didn't want to quit. My motivation came from a day I spent at the hospital with my dad who had colon cancer that had spread to his liver and lymph nodes. Watching my dad slowly die at 54 years old and thinking about my three year old daughter at home was enough to make me throw my can away on the way to the car and quit cold turkey. There was nothing in that can worth giving up my life or my daughter losing her dad over.