PDA

View Full Version : AK Replacement Parts?

Shihan
06-04-07, 01:59
Well since all the political mumbo jumbo is going on I bought a couple of AK's to go along with my AR''s. Do you good folks think its important to keep replacement parts on hand for the AK? I have one of everything for the AR and could actually put one together with what I have stored, but I dont know much about the AK platform besides how to shoot them and do basic maintenence. What would you keep on hand? BTW I have a MAK90 and a AMD-65.

Thanks

Robb Jensen
06-04-07, 06:14
Just the common stuff that can break.

Extractor & spring.
Recoil spring assy.
Firing pin and spring assy.
Spare fire control set (hammer, trigger, disconnector) & related springs.
Maybe an entire bolt.

I'd also recommend ditching the 'shepards hook' and installed a Red Star Arms plate. It makes disassemby/reassembly of the FCG a piece of cake.

h8mtv
06-08-07, 11:40
The barrel ban will not affect replacement parts for most users. There is so much Ak stuff here already and most ak's have chrome lined barrels. It is just us builders it is killing.

As for the Shererds Crook, I have been using 4mm E-Clips for some time and have had no issues. I buy 100 for about $2 from Fastenal locally.

themadhatter
06-08-07, 11:46
AK's don't brake;) just AR's:p

VA_Dinger
06-08-07, 12:34
The barrel ban will not affect replacement parts for most users. There is so much Ak stuff here already and most ak's have chrome lined barrels. It is just us builders it is killing.

I would assume U.S. made AK barrels would help the situation. I've already heard several companies have them in the works. Just like the U.S. made Yugo barrels centrury builds on.

Like everything else the market will find a way around the situation.

Jay Cunningham
06-08-07, 15:01
Just the common stuff that can break.

Extractor & spring.
Recoil spring assy.
Firing pin and spring assy.
Spare fire control set (hammer, trigger, disconnector) & related springs.
Maybe an entire bolt.

I'd also recommend ditching the 'shepards hook' and installed a Red Star Arms plate. It makes disassemby/reassembly of the FCG a piece of cake.

gotm4 has it covered. Basically you probably won't use any of the above, i.e. there really is no routine maintenance schedule like there is for an AR. I'm trying to remember any stories I've ever heard of anything breaking on an AK and I'm not coming up with anything.

Snake RAH
06-08-07, 18:56
I've broken a firing pin on an AK. I now have a spare.