PDA

View Full Version : Troy sight issue

13MPG
06-30-10, 22:02
I purchased a Troy rear sight for my BCM upper and when I installed it there is play left/right and front/back. I have had a few sets of Troy sights over the years and never had an issue. Has anyone heard of anything lately? I am a little bit upset as I was really looking forward to getting a zero on this rifle since I have the weekend off but I guess that’s a no go..:(

Robb Jensen
06-30-10, 22:13
You have to really crank them down with a gunsmith/machinist screwdriver and use a little blue loc-tite too.

13MPG
06-30-10, 22:32
Yup, that did it! I broke out the monster Snap-On screwdriver and went to town. I guess I was a bit to cautious about messing up the screw:o.
Thanks!!

SkiDevil
07-01-10, 02:33
I purchased a Troy rear sight for my BCM upper and when I installed it there is play left/right and front/back. I have had a few sets of Troy sights over the years and never had an issue. Has anyone heard of anything lately? I am a little bit upset as I was really looking forward to getting a zero on this rifle since I have the weekend off but I guess that’s a no go..:(

There was a thread regarding this type of problem in the recent past. Someone else had a similar problem.

I have purchased several sets of the TROY sights and only encountered it once.

In my circumstance, the additional (smallest) piece which clamped the rear sight to the receiver was out of spec. I was able to clamp it down temporarily by using a small piece of aluminum to properly clamp the sight to the rail (clamp was too large). I ended-up getting a new replacement sight from the dealer. However, this may or may not be your problem. -If you tightened-up the clamp all of the way it it is still loose (exhibiting play) it likely is the problem.

Personally, if that is the case then I would either take it/ send it back to the dealer or contact TROY directly.

SkiDevil

petergun870
07-01-10, 22:39
Really weird i have a BCM upper to and my troy sights are on tight make sure you have it on right

13MPG
07-01-10, 23:51
It’s good to go and there is no issue with the upper or the sight. I was using a screwdriver that was half the size of the screw head slot and was a bit timid about putting to much torque on it. I followed gotm4’s advice and it clamped down after putting some serious elbow grease on it.

All in all it was me not being able to see the forest for the trees.