PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a good medium Ruck recommendation ?

variablebinary
06-30-10, 23:14
I hate my large issue ruck, and would rather not take it to the field for training over the next few months.

I am looking for a mid-size ruck in the 3000 cubic 3500 cubic inch range. MOLLE would be a bonus but not necessary.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

CyberM4
07-01-10, 11:32
Have you tried US Grunt Gear?

Heavy Metal
07-01-10, 12:02
http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/01000.html

I got one of these and don't let the pic fool you, it was assembled on a tan Gen IV frame made by Down East, not the crappy early black one. Condition was excellent.

They have three color desert ones for ten bucks less in absolutely new shape.

Both are pre-assembled.

SmokeJumper
07-02-10, 01:51
I'm a huge fan of Kifaru packs. www.kifaru.net
Take a look at the Pointman or the molle version of the Express. Their padded shoulder straps and waist belts are comfortable and not too bulky. The packs can be confogured any way you want with molle and their docnlock attachments and Kifaru makes a ton of extra pockets/pouches for their packs. They are Berry Amendment compliant US made packs, but they are on the pricy side. I've used them for both hunting and search and rescue use. Check out the military moron website for some extensive reviews on Kifaru packs.

Madball13
07-05-10, 06:34
http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/01000.html

I got one of these and don't let the pic fool you, it was assembled on a tan Gen IV frame made by Down East, not the crappy early black one. Condition was excellent.

They have three color desert ones for ten bucks less in absolutely new shape.

Both are pre-assembled.

Just got one of these off ebay w/ the sustainment bags for the side for cheap money. One company has the 3 camo desert brand new for $30.

savage_here
07-05-10, 12:36
I have the 5.11 Rush72 and it seems to be well-constructed and well-thought-out. I think it's just under 3000 cu. inches.

I haven't hammered it yet, so I'm not sure how well it will hold up over the long term.

Priced pretty good as well if you look around a little.

PatEgan
07-06-10, 12:23
Any feedback on the Eagle Industries III-A Assault Pack? This seems like a good one from a good company. I like the various, built in small pouches inside of the 5.11 packs, and would like to find something similar on a better built pack.

FireandFlames
07-06-10, 12:56
I recently picked up a tactical tailor urban operator pack for everyday use, I know its a small ruck that doesnt fit your needs but I'm really digging the no bullshit design that tactical tailor is pulling off with their elite series packs so I'm going to throw their largest pack thats just over 3100cu in in there.
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/extendedrangeoperatorpack.aspx
Plenty of color options and MOLLE throughout, not a bad price either.
I cant really speak for that individual pack though, I just own a pack from the product line and its solid gtg. My large ruck is a 10 year old osprey pack from back when they made bombproof stuff but I should be upgrading soon too.

skd_tactical
07-06-10, 13:42
I love my Kifaru packs. They have been to hell and back. I have a scout, X-ray, and a ZXR. Covers all my needs and sizes. I have been eying the new Mystery Ranch SATL too. But Kifaru has never failed me, they are comfy and take a beating. The new MOLLE Alice sucks!!! I either ditched it on all my deployments... or it never left the Truck.

SOS

calicojack
07-06-10, 17:14
delete

DaBears_85
07-08-10, 06:41
I hate my large issue ruck, and would rather not take it to the field for training over the next few months.

How can you not like the GI ruck sack? :)

I get to hump one around for the next couple weeks starting Friday. Can't wait!

variablebinary
07-08-10, 07:05
How can you not like the GI ruck sack? :)

I get to hump one around for the next couple weeks starting Friday. Can't wait!

That's exactly what I am trying to avoid.

I'm leaning toward something by Kifaru. Nothing but praise for them from anyone I've asked.