PDA

View Full Version : What size backstrap on MP

R.Miksits
07-01-10, 11:19
I just picked up a MP45 full size this week. 425 out the door, not a bad deal right?

I’ve been a 1911 shooter for years now and love the feel of the 1911.

The small back strap felt the most comfortable to me.

I’m just curious to which one you guys use.

4thPointOfContact
07-01-10, 11:29
I usually have the large backstrap on my M&P .40. It felt a bit awkward at first but I'll be darned if it doesn't reduce the felt recoil by a significant amount. Seems to help recovery too, but there's no empirical evidence to prove that little theory.

jaxman7
07-01-10, 11:53
Try this thread on for size. Should answer some questions:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55222

Don't justify using one backstrap only on the reasoning that it feels the most comfortable. I switched my carry from a 1911 to an M&P and went with the small backstrap myself. Solely for the reason that it is the closest grip configuration to what I was familiar with, the 1911. In the hand felt good. At the range not so good. I use the large now. Not saying for you to use the large but just consider that the most comfort does not equal the most accuracy/shot recovery.

-Jax

bulbvivid
07-01-10, 12:51
When I first got mine I went to the range and tried all three in both slow fire and timed drills and settled on the medium one. Now that I've shot the gun for a while, I'm going to do it again just to see if I still feel that the medium works best for me. One thing I did figure out is that what initially feels the best may not be the best for shooting the gun.

willowofwisp
07-01-10, 13:44
the small worked best for me..in terms of comfort and being able to get a full strong grip. I didn't notice any difference in recoil on my 9L

556mp
07-01-10, 14:59
I use the small as well on my 45fs

RB-S13
07-01-10, 15:26
I have big hands and the large works best for me. I just wish it wasn't so wide.

chadbag
07-01-10, 15:34
I used the large on my M&P9 for a long while including through a few classes in 2009. A few weeks ago I was in a class and half way through I switched to the medium. It seems to allow me to get a better grip than the large. My hands are med / med large but I found that I was not getting the best grip with the large for some reason. The switch feels better for me now.

jaxman7
07-01-10, 15:47
Eguns this is my 'dilema' as well and I should've said this in my first post on here. For me the large backstrap offers better recoil management but at the cost of a slower proper grip. Make sense? I find myself with the large backstrap not being able to get my fingers wrapped around the frontstrap properly under stress. We've got a competition shoot this weekend and I am going to alternate the large/medium backstraps between stages and see what happens. This maybe a training issue to where I just need more draw time and I must factor that in as well. I am relatively new to the M&P so still doing a little tweaking to get the most out of the gun and myself.

I used the large on my M&P9 for a long while including through a few classes in 2009. A few weeks ago I was in a class and half way through I switched to the medium. It seems to allow me to get a better grip than the large. My hands are med / med large but I found that I was not getting the best grip with the large for some reason. The switch feels better for me now.

Magsz
07-01-10, 19:56
Jax,

Im in the same boat but i do believe its a training issue.

The large grip allows me to fill in the dead space laterally which in turn allows me to laterally apply more pressure. This helps with my recoil management.

The problem that i run into is that i tend to grip too far forward with my reaction hand after a reload because of the increased width going front to back on the gun.

Ive been slowing down a little to ensure that my reaction hand goes where it needs to go.

If you KNOW you can grip the gun properly with the large grip installed and you simply arent doing it after a reload then i think we know what needs to change and i do not believe it is the guns issue. :)

jaxman7
07-01-10, 21:15
Magsz very good point bud. I've noticed this as well after a reload. My support hand also rides too far forward. Path of lease resistance b/c the forward area of the gun is narrower. Solution, fix the shooter not the weapon.
As far as the problem with proper grip with the weapon hand on the the gun your point makes alot of sense. As usual,well always, its me not the gun! I'll just have to start out slow again keeping this in mind during the draw. The old adage applies:slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Jax,

The problem that i run into is that i tend to grip too far forward with my reaction hand after a reload because of the increased width going front to back on the gun.

Ive been slowing down a little to ensure that my reaction hand goes where it needs to go.

If you KNOW you can grip the gun properly with the large grip installed and you simply arent doing it after a reload then i think we know what needs to change and i do not believe it is the guns issue. :)

Deaj
07-02-10, 00:58
I found all three backstraps comfortable for the most part with a preference for the medium size first, large next, and small last. I have small'ish hands but I'm quite comfortable with a large grip just so long as the reach to the trigger and other controls is not compromised (I use the grip with the larger rounded backstrap on my S&W 4506 and it's just right for my hands). I installed a CTC LaserGrip on my M&P-9 and I find it's a better fit than any of the stock backstraps - I find the palm swells covering the battery cavities on each side an ideal shape for my hands. I love it when things work out like that!

Bubba FAL
07-02-10, 01:26
I've been working on this since reading the previous thread. I had the small backstraps on both my M&Ps because of the "feel" in my hand. After doing some follow-up testing, I am leaning more toward the medium. Large causes me a little difficulty in reaching the mag release with my thumb.

JHC
07-02-10, 06:54
I like the large for recoil management but the medium for speed reloading. Happy with either.

RAM Engineer
07-02-10, 07:00
I usually have the large backstrap on my M&P .40. It felt a bit awkward at first but I'll be darned if it doesn't reduce the felt recoil by a significant amount. Seems to help recovery too, but there's no empirical evidence to prove that little theory.

I found this to be true for me as well.

altramagnus
07-02-10, 16:06
Still undecided myself. Large would be perfect if just a tad thinner. Med is what i'm running now to see if i'm content.

I never thought this would be a tough decision but if I could get one between the Med and Large it would be ideal.

Shawn

JHC
07-02-10, 17:00
Still undecided myself. Large would be perfect if just a tad thinner. Med is what i'm running now to see if i'm content.

I never thought this would be a tough decision but if I could get one between the Med and Large it would be ideal.

Shawn

Yeah, I would prefer the large to not swell out sideways as much but add depth front to back.

Saur
07-02-10, 17:47

Shawn

I've read before that the crimson trace grips are just that, in between a medium/large feel. Haven't had the chance to get my hands on one yet though.

GermanSynergy
07-02-10, 20:29
I run the large on all of mine, as I have ginormous hands. :D

1911pro
07-02-10, 20:43
I run the small on my M&P 9. It feels the best in my dwarf hands and I can hit the mag release without shifting my grip much.

danpass
07-02-10, 20:50
No backstrap felt best to me in fact.

The small was a close second.

But I ended up shooting best with the medium.

JohnN
07-03-10, 12:53
I'm torn between the medium and large backstraps. I shoot better with the medium but I get a higher grip on the gun out of the holster with the large backstrap. Kinda weird I know, can't really explain it.