PDA

View Full Version : Flash hider experiment question

JPB
07-01-10, 14:52
I recall reading some time ago about an experiment where someone attached a ring to enclose the end of a SEI Vortex flash hider to demonstrate the effectiveness of the vibratory nature of the open prongs. I believe that they also cut the enclosing end ring off of an A1
flash hider as a further demonstration of the same. Do any of you know where I can find that write up? Thanks.

Complication
07-01-10, 16:34
I've spent the last half hour or so looking for something but found squat. I've seen a few places where people simply state that the vibration aids in suppressing the flash, but nothing explaining why or how. I certainly found no pictures or video, unfortunately.

There's a short news clip about the Vortex where Sonja Summers (who came up with the idea) indicates the slight helical twist was what did it, but, as anyone who's ever had hands-on the Vortex knows, it certainly does vibrate and ring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TPpsIw7IwE

I'd certainly be interested if anyone finds something though.

Marty916
07-01-10, 18:32
Flash mitigation is based on gas flow management and disrupting laminar flow. I assume the design intent of the Vortex is to break up the gas flow through deflection of the prongs and the direction of the flow to form a...vortex. The theory is sound but as with all designs, compromises must be made to achieve a given prefered result.