PDA

View Full Version : Best location for a gun safe?

eo500
07-01-10, 15:07
I am getting ready to buy my first large gun safe. My dilemma is where should I put this approx. 600-700 lb. beast (I only want to move it once). I am debating between in a closet in my bedroom on the second floor, or in my basement.

The bedroom would be easier and faster for me to gain access, but I'm not sure about the weight and mounting it to the floor on the second story. I'd also lose a considerable amount of closet space.

The basement would be an easier move in, but I'd definitely need a dehumidifying rod (will I need one on the second floor too?). If I put it in the basement, should I put it on blocks and bolt it to the floor through them? Will I need a vapor barrier under the safe before I mount it to the concrete floor? I already have a small safe in my bedroom for a handgun for HD purposes.

I'd appreciate any insight that any of you who are happy or unhappy with your safe placement or anyone who has experience with safes might have.

Update:
I got the safe and decided to keep it as accessible as possible, so I took some maple butcher's block that I had left over from a workbench I'm building, and lined the closet floor in my bedroom. I lag bolted that to the floor joists to reinforce the floor, and spread out the load over four joists instead of one or two, then I lag bolted the safe to the butcher's block. I removed the safe door, and took it up on a dolly. Me and three friends found it easier to lay the safe on its side, and push it up the carpeted steps than to use the dolly. All-in-all, the move was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and so far I'm very happy with the location. Thanks for all of your ideas.

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-01-10, 21:36
the awnser is all to simple. You put it where ever your wife says you can!

ralph
07-01-10, 22:54
I am getting ready to buy my first large gun safe. My dilemma is where should I put this approx. 600-700 lb. beast (I only want to move it once). I am debating between in a closet in my bedroom on the second floor, or in my basement.

The bedroom would be easier and faster for me to gain access, but I'm not sure about the weight and mounting it to the floor on the second story. I'd also lose a considerable amount of closet space.

The basement would be an easier move in, but I'd definitely need a dehumidifying rod (will I need one on the second floor too?). If I put it in the basement, should I put it on blocks and bolt it to the floor through them? Will I need a vapor barrier under the safe before I mount it to the concrete floor? I already have a small safe in my bedroom for a handgun for HD purposes.

I'd appreciate any insight that any of you who are happy or unhappy with your safe placement or anyone who has experience with safes might have.

I can understand wanting to move it only once, I've moved both of mine twice... Honestly, I don't know what to tell you as far as location, I'd be tempted to go with what would be easiest, and offers the least possibilty of a herina..The basement. Is your basement dry? Assuming it is, and you don't have any water problems, I would put it there, I'd also bolt it directly to the floor. Have any friends that work construction? If so, see if they can borrow a Hilti gun...aka concrete drill, and see if they can get some anchors and bolts as well.Alot of contractors don't mind if an employee wants to borrow a tool,and grab a few anchors as long as the tool shows back up... Or you'll have to rent one, and buy the anchors.. You can also take the door off the safe when moving, this will lighten it up by about 100lbs possibly more, Vapor barrier? I don't think you'll gain anything, as you'll poke holes in it when you drill holes for the anchors,defeating the whole purpose.. You could put it in the bedroom, and you could use lag bolts and bolt it to the floor that way, I myself would'nt be too concerned about lagging it to the floor..How many thieves are willing to take a 6-700lb safe full of guns down a flight of stairs, out the door, and into the van/truck? If they want to break into the safe, they'll just cut a hole into the side of the safe(easier done than what you think) and take what they want. Dehumidifying rods..I guess they're Ok..I use Dessicent..I've got 3 of those small rectangular ones I bought a Gander Mtn..They work well and when they change color, from blue to pink it's time to recharge them, by putting them in the oven for 3hrs at 200..I haven't had any problems..Where I'm at now, the safes had to go into the bedrooms, the large one, in the BR that is used as a office/computer room and the smaller one into my BR. I could'nt get the safes into the basement because of a left turn at the bottom of the steps,and I've had some minor flooding after very heavy rains. (I've installed drains around the house, so hopefully that's solved) I haven't had any problem with the floors in either bedroom because of the safes..Other than that,Good luck, I hope this helps, Be careful moving this thing..get some help..

Artos
07-02-10, 08:19
Best spot is on the corner of the house...preferably with brick on two sides. Idealy, where no windows will show the safe to the outside / public.

Having two sides with sheetrock & brick will limit the heat in case of a fire. Every second counts & very well could save your guns. Also, get the safe off the floor with a few bricks. A few inches goes a long way when water gets in the house.

arizonaranchman
07-05-10, 19:08
Mostly depends on the layout of the house, what the wife thinks, is the basement dry enough that corrosion or flooding will be of no concern?, ease or difficulty of moving it, etc

Remember when it's loaded with guns, ammo, etc it will weigh around a TON or more so upstairs floors may need to be reinforced with a 3/4" sheet of plywood or somethign similar to distribute the weight a bit.

Mine is in the livingroom. IMHO it's an attractive piece of the room and temps/humidity are very moderate as opposed to the basement or garage. I have in the past however had it in the garage in a previous home prior to living here. Here in the desert humidity is a non-issue though.

SkiDevil
07-05-10, 23:50

As I was reading your post I was recalling the dozen plus shooters whom are are friends/ co-workers. Just about everysingle one has the gunsafe in the garage or just in the house, next to the garage interior/ pedestrian access door.

Personally, I put mine inside of a bedroom/ closet. What a PITA it was to do so. Also, I have helped two friends move a safe (over 700LBS.) up a staircase. That was a tremendous amount of work. But if you have a couple of strong friends, and some patience, then it is something you could do yourself.

My next safe will be installed by the company inside of the garage and anchored straight into the cement foundation of the residence.;) I'm also rearranging some of the furniture so that it will not be visible from the public right-of-way.

This can be a difficult decision process, but just think it through carefully so you only have to do it once. In my area, it costs around $300 to have a safe professionally installed, stairs are extra. I would just pay for it to be done if it fits in your budget.

SkiDevil

SteyrAUG
07-06-10, 00:54
If you put it in the basement, elevate it on a platform.

Personally I'd want better access. Is there any under the stairs storage?

Iraqgunz
07-06-10, 04:34
I wanted it in the bedroom where I had immediate access.