PDA

View Full Version : AAR EAG Gunfighter Course NMNG

Pat_Rogers
06-04-07, 19:50
EAG conducted a 5 Day Gunfighter Course hosted by the NMNG at the Albuquerque PD SWAT Range.
This is the fourth class we have done for these hard folks in the past 3 years, and it is always a pleasure to see the professionalism that is exhibited by this organization.
As always, this class is staffed primarily by the Combined Arms Training Company (CAT-C) of the NMNG, but also had members of the NM Air National Guard (CATM), CA, VA and TX NG as well as a representative from the National Guard Bureau in DC.
Also attending were APD SWAT, APD ROP, NM State Correction Tac Team, BORTAC DOE and of course Jeff Browning from Farmington NM PD- a stellar gathering of some very hard and motivated people.
Even Bob Moran (who has too low a post count to be credible on certain pistol forums) graced us with his presence.
All joking aside, Bob came in top shooter at the APD SWAT Course last month- not an easy accomplishment considering the quality of the instruction and the shooters. Bob took vacation and paid his own way to do that. He shot real well here as well….
WX in ABQ is always a crapshoot, and while previous years had high winds, rain and worse, this year was warm- very warm. This was a break from the previous Durango class which was cold- very cold (and wet, at least for the first day…)

Except for one POW, all of the guns were Colt’s (mostly M4’s) and there were minimal gun issues. No company makes perfect guns, and in the case of the military, a great many guns are past their service life.
Magazines (I know, I sound like a broken record here) are always the big issue, and I am convinced that there isn’t a single serviceable magazine within the NG or the BP. The Prison guys had new guns/ mags, and the APD guys are heads up on their stuff so there were few issues on that end of the line.
Magazines are wear items, and we bent/ shot more then a few rather than have them returned to service in someone else’s hands.
Aimpoints were the predominate sight (the issued M68) with a few EO’s and ACOG’s, along with my loaner S&B short Dot..
We were going crazy with one gun that would consistently throw a wide flyer. Check the Aimpoint mount, barrel etc. The shooter figured it might be a broken RAS and got the Rocksett out.
In the end, Loctite was not used (used properly) on the Larue mount. Disassemble, re assemble and it shot properly.
Ammo is getting interesting. We shot Gold Dot for both rifles and pistols as this was all that was available…..
The M9’s were a sorry lot, and there were a lot more malfunctions than normal.

Did I mention that you need to lube the guns? While this was a hot, arid and dusty environment, the guns still need lube. Without it, the guns don’t run.

Thanks as always to Mike Hueser and JK for their hard work and long hours on the range. Their week was brightened significantly when person(s) unidentified attempted to enter the domicile where they were squadded.
Big thanks to the Staff of the Albuquerque PD SWAT range- two retreads who have a great attitude and provide a terrific place to train.
Thanks also to 1stSgt Jason Riley and his crew at CAT-C, and who traipsed softly through the minefields laid by bureaucrats in a vain attempt to prevent training from taking place.
There are always those pencil necked geeks who find it easier to say “NO” then to do their jobs in the first place.
Thanks as well to those in staff positions who went the extra mile to make it happen.

Kudos to Larue Tactical. Slip 2000, Tactical Springs, BCM, CamelBak, Viking Tactics and TangoDown for their continued support.

And finally, a big round of applause from everyone in the class to Major (soon to be LtCol) Larue, Brother of Mark, for being “THAT GUY” and taking the pressure off of the 40 other shooters. There wasn’t anyone even close to second place.
Close the dust cover, Sir….Push pull Sir…..Load your pistol Sir……Tac load Sir….