PDA

View Full Version : What is hte most you have ever paid for a folder

R1pper
06-04-07, 20:32
I was looking through a recent issue of guns and ammo and I saw an ad for the sure fire folder. It seemed to have some great features, so I decided to look into it a little deeper. I went to the sure fire web page and looked at some lights before i found the knife section. I pulled up the info on the folder and the price came up.........$425 I almost shit my self. Has anyone every actually paid anything close to that for a folder. the most i have ever paid was $125 for an hk assisted opener. Just please tell me im not alone in thinking this way to much for folder.

signal4l
07-15-07, 18:00
I bought a Crawford KFF used for $275. I had the nerve to attempt to open a package with it. I bent the tip. I sold it at a loss and bought an Emerson. I have a drawer full of knives, none of them as expensive as the Crawford. I would have saved a pile of cash if I just bought a few CQC 10, Commanders, etc.

Haji
07-16-07, 13:01
I rarely carry a knife that's worth less than $150, but I think the most I've ever paid out of pocket for one was probably just over a hundred bucks. Employee discounts are not a bad thing.

Eagle1*
07-26-07, 16:42
Actual cash was around $500.00. Now I did own a few Strider Customs that I traded some other knives for and added cash to make the $900.00 price tag, but if only talking cash out of pocket expense, it was $500.00.

Rule303
07-30-07, 02:20
Maybe $40 or so.

I don't have much use for a folding knife beyond opening packaging or just whittling.

adh
07-31-07, 09:45
I think I paid $100+ for my MT full size SOCOM MA
I carry a knife all the time
lost the SOCOM at the Ranch and found it after a year:eek:
It was in suprisingly great condition after a year which is what makes it worth so much $$$, but I may never had found it and that would have been a $100+ loss. I now carry a Benchmade AFCK I got at a pawn shop for $40. If I lose that, its a lot easier to bear with that loss.

olds442tyguy
07-31-07, 20:21
$120.

I buy knives based on my opinion of how rugged I think they're constructed. Price means nothing, and when it comes to mixing price, quality, features, and life span, I find the $20-$50 bracket to be the best bang for the buck.

I go through knives like cigarettes though, so I guess I should make it clear I'm really harsh on blades and the longest I've had one single knife still be functional is a year.

My basic guidelines are as follows.

-If a folder has rivets, it's junk.
-If it doesn't have adjustable blade tension, it's junk.
-If you can't remove the handles, it's junk.
-If it uses 400 series stainless, it's not junk, but not optimal.
-If you can't open it in under a second one handed, keep looking.
-Don't buy any knife that can be rendered useless by a tiny piece of lint. (95% of all autos.)
-No lock backs under any circumstances.
-Never buy any knife that is opened by a cut in the blade for your finger nail.
-Blades with holes for opening are worthless when you're under stress.
-If the blade isn't bead blasted or finished, it's usually a sign of corner cutting.
-Avoid grips made from wood or metal. Strong plastics, micarta, and some other materials preferred.
-Always make sure the pocket clip suits your needs.
-If the knife can double as a fist pack, it gets points. (Sounds cheesy, but it's a blessing.)
-Serrations are always useful, and don't turn them down based on looks.

watchluvr4ever
08-01-07, 10:42
$500 for this...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/watchluvr4ever/DSC01759.jpg

I traded that for this...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/watchluvr4ever/DSC01909.jpg

Rule303
08-01-07, 17:04
-If a folder has rivets, it's junk.
-If it doesn't have adjustable blade tension, it's junk.
-If you can't remove the handles, it's junk.
-If it uses 400 series stainless, it's not junk, but not optimal.
-If you can't open it in under a second one handed, keep looking.
-Don't buy any knife that can be rendered useless by a tiny piece of lint. (95% of all autos.)
-No lock backs under any circumstances.
-Never buy any knife that is opened by a cut in the blade for your finger nail.
-Blades with holes for opening are worthless when you're under stress.
-If the blade isn't bead blasted or finished, it's usually a sign of corner cutting.
-Avoid grips made from wood or metal. Strong plastics, micarta, and some other materials preferred.
-Always make sure the pocket clip suits your needs.
-If the knife can double as a fist pack, it gets points. (Sounds cheesy, but it's a blessing.)
-Serrations are always useful, and don't turn them down based on looks.

What folders have you found that meet those criteria?

olds442tyguy
08-01-07, 20:03
What folders have you found that meet those criteria?
There are literally thousands, but the features I listed are often over looked. Aside from the mechanical features it's all like a pair of shoes, you just have to find the ones that are the most comfortable and fit you best.

Look for knives that use torx head screws to hold the handles and blade. Don't bother with 420SS. Don't even look at lock backs or auto knives. Don't even look at knives that don't have a protruding thumb stud to open them. I'd say those are probably the most important immediate features I'd consider. Aside from that, blade choice is just a personal game of trial and error.

My next victim will be one of these.
https://www.bokerusa.com/images/01BO596.jpg

They meet nearly all of the features I listed, they're only $30 or so, and they're getting amazing reviews from even the biggest knife snobs. As always I don't get my hopes up for any knife though. It's a tool that will wear out, so best case scenario is me buying a few to last me a couple years. Worst case, I give it away or it goes in the junk drawer.

watchluvr4ever
08-01-07, 23:48
Nice Boker!

Rule303
08-02-07, 00:14
olds442tyguy,

Thanks for the answer. I know what you mean about choosing a knife that fits well. Usually I just carry a folding razor blade type knife around, since it's tough, sharp and it does what I need to do.

I would like to look into that Boker, though.

olds442tyguy
08-02-07, 12:22
Here's some more info on the Boker Trance (also at the only place I've found that has the black model in stock).
https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=187

I'd direct link to Boker's site, but they use a software that doesn't allow direct linking. Regarding the company above, I'm not affiliated with them nor have I ever done business with them (yet). I can't recommend the knife or the seller listed due to a lack of experience, but next week I should be able to supply some feedback. :cool:

Erick Gelhaus
08-02-07, 17:24
Most I spent for a folder?
Not sure which Strider SMF version cost me more, whether it was the first or second one I bought.

Paulinski
08-02-07, 17:29
So far I'm on a low end $130 although I have Emerson and Striders on my want list. $$$;)

watchluvr4ever
08-13-07, 12:20
So far I'm on a low end $130 although I have Emerson and Striders on my want list. $$$;)

You can pick up an Emerson for that price($130).

Street Survival
01-05-08, 19:17
$560 for a Strider DGG, Tanto, 4" blade. Hope to get it this week.

My wife said I should make an appointment with "Psyc Services".

Pat_D
01-07-08, 11:32
Strider SMF for $475.00. A very nice knife but I doubt I would pay much more.

markm
01-07-08, 12:53
Here's some more info on the Boker Trance (also at the only place I've found that has the black model in stock).
https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=187

I'd direct link to Boker's site, but they use a software that doesn't allow direct linking. Regarding the company above, I'm not affiliated with them nor have I ever done business with them (yet). I can't recommend the knife or the seller listed due to a lack of experience, but next week I should be able to supply some feedback. :cool:

I just bought one! It's a $35 gamble (with shipping)!

knguye11
01-08-08, 15:56
I paid $315 for the SnG. Most people said it's worth every penny, but a $20 knife would do the same job. :D

http://s154482980.onlinehome.us/photo/Emerson/images/IMG_2943.jpg
http://s154482980.onlinehome.us/photo/sng/images/IMG_2940.jpg

olds442tyguy
01-11-08, 12:31
I just bought one! It's a $35 gamble (with shipping)!
How do you like it? Is only having a grip panel on one side bothering you at all?

Most importantly, was the gamble worth it? I gave up on it because of the lacking grip panel, but my current knife is starting to get really tired.

markm
01-11-08, 12:51
I just got it yesterday....

I don't know yet. It's harder to open than my CRKT Ryan 7, but that could be just that my hand isn't used to it yet... it is a smaller folder than I'm used to.

The one panel is a little strange feeling, but it's nice and slim in the pocket.

I don't have a large pool of experience with folding knives, so I can't give an in depth analysis of it.

palakaboy
01-14-08, 22:35
hi im john and i'm a knife abuser.

the most i've ever paid for knife is probably about 40$ for a crkt m16.

it wasn't much for a knife but it holds its edge very well and i wouldn't be bothered much by losing it.

markm
01-15-08, 07:43
the most i've ever paid for knife is probably about 40$ for a crkt m16.

I hated those damned knives. The checkering on the knob would tear up all my pants. And they handles were as heavy as the blades... so when you drop it, it opens up. I drop shit a lot. ;)

palakaboy
01-15-08, 12:53
i'd have to agree with you there.but again, if i lose this...no regrets.

fabulous45s
01-31-08, 21:00
I've tested/used/carried some mighty fine folders in my time, but I think the most I've actually paid for a folder is $125.