PDA

View Full Version : recieving parts overseas

matt86
07-01-10, 22:21
im about to deploy, and I dont want to take my rifles apart just to get them beat to hell, so my question is, will Brownells or any other companies ship to APOs? I want to get a pistol grip, magpul vfg, and maybe a MOE stock and didnt know if APOs conflicted with ITAR

Iraqgunz
07-01-10, 23:52
Yes, even mail to APO's is an ITAR problem. If you are military simply put them in with your deployment gear.

If you are a civilian you can also get into country, but you will nore than likely have to leave it there unless someone hooks you up.

Just an FYI- I specifically addressed this issue with the ITAR personnel and have it in writing from them via email.

im about to deploy, and I dont want to take my rifles apart just to get them beat to hell, so my question is, will Brownells or any other companies ship to APOs? I want to get a pistol grip, magpul vfg, and maybe a MOE stock and didnt know if APOs conflicted with ITAR

matt86
07-02-10, 00:09
at the end of deployment can I mail the parts back or will customs allow me to bring them home?

Iraqgunz
07-02-10, 00:18
I am fairly certain that if the items are in with your deployment gear it shouldn't be an issue. Via the mail is a NO GO.

at the end of deployment can I mail the parts back or will customs allow me to bring them home?

Paraclete comes
07-02-10, 00:46
I have been deployed three times and all three times have been able to have ITAR restricted items sent. Sending mail to a FPO(fleet post office or APO) Is like the company ships it to a U.S. address. They cover the shipping to say san fran or new york and the military picks it up from there to you. So it may be grey area or downright unlawful but I have yet to have any problem. Have had everything from scope mounts to pmags, mag followers, fire proof gloves, I.R. patches, even military issued uniforms. Keep in mind all the MSG Marines that live at FPO/APO's they still get stuff. I was a year in Bahrain with FAST and got everything mailed out to us.

So again it might not be clear legally to some people out there or down right unlawful, but more than likely you can get it. Worst case have it sent to the folks and have them forward it to you. Also anything in your kit brought back through customs is good as gold, at least for military. Not sure about civilians though.

Also forgot I did mail back several items resrticted by ITAR but no issue. The only time I had trouble was sending back any weapon related item like mags and also body armor. But uniforms, IR stuff, personal scopes, etc was no issue. I guess that might have to do with the inspecting military postman and the DHS scanner.

matt86
07-02-10, 01:00
IIRC the post office on the fob on my last deployment wouldn't let us mail any weapon related items back home. Ill just take my gear with me and take the chance of customs letting me bring it back home. If not ill just give it to someone that's staying in country. Thanks for the input.

Iraqgunz
07-02-10, 02:31
I know that items can be sent, I have had stuff sent to me. But, it is in violation of ITAR rules. Many companies will no longer send any weapons type parts through the APO/FPO system.

I have quite a few years of experience using the APO/FPO system.

Like you said, sending weapons related items back CONUS as was asked is a no go unless you have some hook ups. When I left A'stan last month the APO xrayed the items at DHL before they were sent out.

I have been deployed three times and all three times have been able to have ITAR restricted items sent. Sending mail to a FPO(fleet post office or APO) Is like the company ships it to a U.S. address. They cover the shipping to say san fran or new york and the military picks it up from there to you. So it may be grey area or downright unlawful but I have yet to have any problem. Have had everything from scope mounts to pmags, mag followers, fire proof gloves, I.R. patches, even military issued uniforms. Keep in mind all the MSG Marines that live at FPO/APO's they still get stuff. I was a year in Bahrain with FAST and got everything mailed out to us.

So again it might not be clear legally to some people out there or down right unlawful, but more than likely you can get it. Worst case have it sent to the folks and have them forward it to you. Also anything in your kit brought back through customs is good as gold, at least for military. Not sure about civilians though.

Also forgot I did mail back several items resrticted by ITAR but no issue. The only time I had trouble was sending back any weapon related item like mags and also body armor. But uniforms, IR stuff, personal scopes, etc was no issue. I guess that might have to do with the inspecting military postman and the DHS scanner.

CAVDOC
07-02-10, 11:26
my last deployment the customs debacvle was huge- they would not let any weapon related items go home in either the mail or personal luggage.
The answer some people give is to put it in your units gear connex- but if you are in a NG unit often connexes of unit gear go to depot to be opened gear cleaned out and reissued to another deploying unit so this stuff may not come back either- if you want some gun gear take it with you but do not bet it will come home.
Irony is that while in A-stan in 2008 I was able to buy and ship home complete antique rifles no problem but could't bring home my personal 9mm beretta mags!

Paraclete comes
07-02-10, 17:02
It may be a violation of ITAR, im not sure I have not read the whole thing. But who cares your not violating the spirit of the law since you are an American serviceman, not a foreign national. In regard to which companies that would not ship who was that? Im curious to know which companies would not.

Not to step on any toes here I was just sharing my experiences of the past five years. But from what it sounds like maybe you guys have different protocol and are not Marines. Marines only deploy for seven months at a time if your an 03. We do have guys that go longer but there all POGs, so they go home for vacation part way through the pump. Not to poo on them by any means but traveling home by your self is a lot different than with a battalion of guys. I think maybe they scrutinize you less when your with your unit.

I find it crazy that one guy here mentioned they would not let him bring home his own M9 mags! Thats wild man, I had tons of personal operational gear taken there and brought all the way home. Never had any issue with that, really blows my mind.

I know that items can be sent, I have had stuff sent to me. But, it is in violation of ITAR rules. Many companies will no longer send any weapons type parts through the APO/FPO system.

I have quite a few years of experience using the APO/FPO system.

Like you said, sending weapons related items back CONUS as was asked is a no go unless you have some hook ups. When I left A'stan last month the APO xrayed the items at DHL before they were sent out.

GermanSynergy
07-02-10, 20:57
I am fairly certain that if the items are in with your deployment gear it shouldn't be an issue. Via the mail is a NO GO.

I had a hard time sending my CIRAS / MICH home from an APO in Baghdad. Depends on the crew you're dealing with, the moon cycle and the ambient air temperature....

Iraqgunz
07-03-10, 02:27
I agree. Last year the State Dept. issued new rules regarding the bringing of PPE into and out of the country. The rules specifically state that you must fill out a customs form and it has to be hand carried.

The problem with that is that when you tranist through Jordan or Dubai people get their man jammies in a bunch. I was fortunate that the APO at the NEC in Baghdad allowed me to mail my helmet, Predator vest and other stuf. But, I wouldn't send my Surefire lights- even handheld ones because of the way some moron was interpreting things.

I had a hard time sending my CIRAS / MICH home from an APO in Baghdad. Depends on the crew you're dealing with, the moon cycle and the ambient air temperature....

Iraqgunz
07-03-10, 02:31
Brownells will no longer do it (last I checked), Bravo Company USA, Mapgul, etc..etc.. I could go on. It doesn't matter if you are a serviceman or not. The rules prohibit sending the items list through the USPS. It is in black and white. I also argued the point with the DDTC and they gave the same advice. Probably no one will care. But, all it takes is one asshole trying to make a name for his/ herself.

It may be a violation of ITAR, im not sure I have not read the whole thing. But who cares your not violating the spirit of the law since you are an American serviceman, not a foreign national. In regard to which companies that would not ship who was that? Im curious to know which companies would not.

Not to step on any toes here I was just sharing my experiences of the past five years. But from what it sounds like maybe you guys have different protocol and are not Marines. Marines only deploy for seven months at a time if your an 03. We do have guys that go longer but there all POGs, so they go home for vacation part way through the pump. Not to poo on them by any means but traveling home by your self is a lot different than with a battalion of guys. I think maybe they scrutinize you less when your with your unit.

I find it crazy that one guy here mentioned they would not let him bring home his own M9 mags! Thats wild man, I had tons of personal operational gear taken there and brought all the way home. Never had any issue with that, really blows my mind.