PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy? looking for a 14.5" carbine barrel, w pinned flash hider

Logan
07-01-10, 23:15
(noobish question?) I was thinking later on down the road when I get the itch to do some modifying I'd like to buy a short as possible barrel for my carbine. So I was wondering where is a decent place to shop for a 14.5" pinned flash hider carbine length barrel?

Thanks guys

SkiDevil
07-02-10, 00:06
(noobish question?) I was thinking later on down the road when I get the itch to do some modifying I'd like to buy a short as possible barrel for my carbine. So I was wondering where is a decent place to shop for a 14.5" pinned flash hider carbine length barrel?

Thanks guys

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home

http://www.danieldefense.com/

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/

To get you started.

You may want to try the search function, I beleive this may have been covered in the past.

Happy Hunting

SkiDevil

Logan
07-02-10, 02:20
Thanks.

I actually did do a search but I only found one place that had 14.5" barrels with pinned & welded flash hiders. I just figured there might be a favorite place of the folks here.

I found tons of regular 14.5" barrels no problem.

spamsammich
07-02-10, 03:05
I played that game for a while. I don't live in a free state so I can't have a proper SBR. If you live in a free state, you might as well get a SBR if you want a compact rifle. If you can't or don't want an SBR a pinned 14.5" barrel only buys you about 1.2" compared to a 16" with an A2 flash hider. I never noticed the difference between my 16" barrels and my 14.5" permed barrels. With the advent of 16" lightweight middy barrels, I can't see myself ever going back to a pinned 14.5" setup unless it was a BCM middy that I was never going to reconfigure. These things are like legos to me so I reconfigure all the time and a permed flash hider is nothing but a nuisance for me.

Plan ahead, if you like to tinker with your rifles, get something else or choose a rail setup like a low pro gas block under DD Lite rails that allow for relatively easy rail swaps if you need a different rail length. Troy TRX extreme or VTAC extreme rails are also good in this respect. I've run Noveske Afghans and 2 LMT 14.5" pinned uppers. I own NONE of those uppers now, I favor 16" carbines or lightweight middy barrels. If you absolutely have an unfailing hard on for 14.5" pinned uppers, do yourself a favor and get any of the BCM 14.5" middy options and have some forethought when picking rails. BCM is the place and they have a TON of configurations to choose from.

Logan
07-02-10, 04:02
Thanks Spam, (btw I love Spam!!! 10 years in Hawaii will do that to you)

Your advice makes sense. It was just a thought since my current barrel is a 1:9 twist and I figured some time in the future I will get the itch to swap in a 1:7 twist barrel so why not go faux SBR? I hate it when I get to thinkin', because my cash seems to disappear when that happens?

In this case I'll stick with a 16" middy, which is also a thought I had a while back anyway.

spamsammich
07-02-10, 04:12
Thanks Spam, (btw I love Spam!!! 10 years in Hawaii will do that to you)

Your advice makes sense. It was just a thought since my current barrel is a 1:9 twist and I figured some time in the future I will get the itch to swap in a 1:7 twist barrel so why not go faux SBR? I hate it when I get to thinkin', because my cash seems to disappear when that happens?

In this case I'll stick with a 16" middy, which is also a thought I had a while back anyway.

BCM lightweight and DD hammer forged middy barrels can be had in the 230ish range, that is a STEAL compared to other brands. I got a niece that works at L&L, spam musubi on the cheap whenever she works!!

Failure2Stop
07-02-10, 05:18
Just get a 14.5 barrel, choose the sufficient length flash hider/comp of your preference, and send it somewhere like Adco to be pinned and welded.

ge_traveler
07-02-10, 10:18
BCM lightweight and DD hammer forged middy barrels can be had in the 230ish range, that is a STEAL compared to other brands. I got a niece that works at L&L, spam musubi on the cheap whenever she works!!

I picked up one of the DD lightweight 16" middy barrels with FSB already attached from G&R. Great price for a nice barrel.

kbi
07-02-10, 19:54
I checked BCM a few hours ago and the plain 14.5 upper's were $385.00 and $135.00 for a bolt carrier before pinning with whatever muzzle device they offer.

Man I cant make up my mind!

dcale101
07-03-10, 09:28
I have this upper and love it.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-14-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-A2X-p/bcm-urg-m4-14%20a2x.htm

organdonor
07-03-10, 10:54
I played that game for a while. I don't live in a free state so I can't have a proper SBR. If you live in a free state, you might as well get a SBR if you want a compact rifle. If you can't or don't want an SBR a pinned 14.5" barrel only buys you about 1.2" compared to a 16" with an A2 flash hider. I never noticed the difference between my 16" barrels and my 14.5" permed barrels. With the advent of 16" lightweight middy barrels, I can't see myself ever going back to a pinned 14.5" setup unless it was a BCM middy that I was never going to reconfigure. These things are like legos to me so I reconfigure all the time and a permed flash hider is nothing but a nuisance for me.

Plan ahead, if you like to tinker with your rifles, get something else or choose a rail setup like a low pro gas block under DD Lite rails that allow for relatively easy rail swaps if you need a different rail length. Troy TRX extreme or VTAC extreme rails are also good in this respect. I've run Noveske Afghans and 2 LMT 14.5" pinned uppers. I own NONE of those uppers now, I favor 16" carbines or lightweight middy barrels. If you absolutely have an unfailing hard on for 14.5" pinned uppers, do yourself a favor and get any of the BCM 14.5" middy options and have some forethought when picking rails. BCM is the place and they have a TON of configurations to choose from.a 14.5" with pinned flash does give you the correct barrel length for a carbine-length gas system, though.

MistWolf
07-03-10, 14:31
You can get a 14.5" without the muzzle device pinned. That will let you assemble it the way you want it. Then have it pinned & welded. Don't put it on a rifle lower until the work is done