PDA

View Full Version : oldcrusty72's DSA OSW

KevinB
06-05-07, 09:11
I'm just hosting pics for Tim -- I will let him talk about it if he wants (and why he carries it *I think its for the cool point he gets with the girls at the REO ;) )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Magpul%20PMAG%20test/Iraq-Range26May044.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Magpul%20PMAG%20test/Iraq573.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Magpul%20PMAG%20test/Iraq572.jpg

He has not hit the Larue generation yet, but I am working on it.;)

One good thing about this gun (from being in the car with him) is you really know when he is putting down fire - the entire car reverberates.

tiger seven
06-05-07, 09:35
Very cool! My brother has been toying with the idea of building one of those.

Has anybody tried a KX3 on one of these little beasts?

Derek

TOrrock
06-05-07, 09:55
That's a great little firebreather there!

I'm guessing no one wants to be on either side of him when he cuts loose though.....:D

oldcrusty72
06-05-07, 10:00
Hi guys,

as you can guess i'm currently working with Kevin and he's been kind enough to put these pics up for me. Thanks mate.

As he said this is my daily carry primary and has been for the last 2 years over here. I carried the Australian SLR version when i first joined the army years ago so when this FN cam up i grabed hold of it, didn't take long for the muscle memery to kick back in. It was incomplete when i got it but came at the best price, free. Thanks to another mate in the US i was able to get hold of some parts from DSA to get it going again. Due to the fact we work out of cars and close areas in the cities I opted for the 11" front end. If i had my time again would go for the 13 or 16.25 with short gas system (just for a bit more muzzle velocity). Like i said i've had it on the road for 2 years and never has let me down yet. Because it's 7.62 you can't shoot it like an M4, like all larger calibers it need to keep a lower rate of fire to keep it going. It's full auto, but kicks like a real gun so single shots only when it counts. But having said that to get it singing fast on the range is a heap of fun, it blows huge flames out the front and throw you around like a Bitch. I used to run an EoTec on it, i'm not real keen on them and it also used to get punishd by the cases comming out, much happier with an Aimpoint again.
A KX3 would probably help it out too, as being so short in the barrel it's loud as hell. I'd be keen to hear if anyone has tried one and how it went.

Be glad to answer any questions if youhave them,

Tim

twodollarbill
06-05-07, 10:44
Weapon looks sweet!!!!
What a BEAST, you can only attempt to tame it.
But the "ready to go" winch set-up on the front
of the truck is truly tricked out.

Hawkeye
06-05-07, 14:43
Nice thumper.

themadhatter
06-07-07, 08:00
Hi guys,

as you can guess i'm currently working with Kevin and he's been kind enough to put these pics up for me. Thanks mate.

As he said this is my daily carry primary and has been for the last 2 years over here. I carried the Australian SLR version when i first joined the army years ago so when this FN cam up i grabed hold of it, didn't take long for the muscle memery to kick back in. It was incomplete when i got it but came at the best price, free. Thanks to another mate in the US i was able to get hold of some parts from DSA to get it going again. Due to the fact we work out of cars and close areas in the cities I opted for the 11" front end. If i had my time again would go for the 13 or 16.25 with short gas system (just for a bit more muzzle velocity). Like i said i've had it on the road for 2 years and never has let me down yet. Because it's 7.62 you can't shoot it like an M4, like all larger calibers it need to keep a lower rate of fire to keep it going. It's full auto, but kicks like a real gun so single shots only when it counts. But having said that to get it singing fast on the range is a heap of fun, it blows huge flames out the front and throw you around like a Bitch. I used to run an EoTec on it, i'm not real keen on them and it also used to get punishd by the cases comming out, much happier with an Aimpoint again.
A KX3 would probably help it out too, as being so short in the barrel it's loud as hell. I'd be keen to hear if anyone has tried one and how it went.

Be glad to answer any questions if youhave them,

Tim
i run one(kx3) on a 11" and am amazed at how well it work at controlling muzzle climb

Greyman09
06-08-07, 16:30
Very nice. I am waiting on my DSA FAL right now.

bradb55
06-08-07, 22:06
Sweet. I really need to get one of those beast.

Lumpy196
06-09-07, 04:50
Good God man, you're lucky the muzzle blast doesnt peel loose the window seals. :D

That's a real crowd pleaser.

Bulldog1967
06-09-07, 10:23

When you care enough to send the very best! :D

olds442tyguy
06-09-07, 18:26
How are the 30 round mags working for you? I've seen lots of self proclaimed FAL experts claim they were junk, but I'd imagine the fact you use them under those circumstances says otherwise?

Nice rig though. :cool:

Rock-N-Ruin
06-09-07, 20:28

That's right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Cameron
06-13-07, 10:57
How are the 30 round mags working for you? I've seen lots of self proclaimed FAL experts claim they were junk, but I'd imagine the fact you use them under those circumstances says otherwise?

Nice rig though. :cool:

I have had 3 of the 30 round mags from DSA 2 of the 3 would not function reliably and I returned them. 1 works perfectly so far so I am keeping it... YMMV

Awesome looking FAL!

Cameron

oldcrusty72
06-17-07, 10:03

Bulldog, thats Gold. I LMAO when i read it.

olds442tyguy, I've had no troubles with that 30 round mag. It's the only one i have and use it to open the account when needed. The rest of my mags are 20's. Some other guys i know have had trouble with their 30's but being abit old school in my teachings I rest my springs when not in use. I work a 2month on 1 off rotation, and empty all my mags when i leave, clean them out then reload apon comming back to work. This is an ongoing discusion between myself and KevinB, he's putting up a good argument but hasn't relised he's wrong yet, haha, but even the 20 round mags will fail if not looked after. Being that they are all steel mags, dirt and rust is a huge concern so they need a little extra care. Cheap insurance if you ask me cause they have to work first time every time, worst case it makes me feel better thinking i'm doing something to make things more reliable.

Tim

TOrrock
06-17-07, 14:55
The 30 rd. mags are actually L4 BREN magazines that DSA modded to work in metric rifles.

When used in a BREN, gravity helps with the feeding, so it's a non issue, but when pushing the rounds UP....some of them have issues.

themadhatter
06-18-07, 06:41
The 30 rd. mags are actually L4 BREN magazines that DSA modded to work in metric rifles.

When used in a BREN, gravity helps with the feeding, so it's a non issue, but when pushing the rounds UP....some of them have issues.
not mine:Dhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/themadhatter-1/MVC-494S.jpg

TOrrock
06-18-07, 07:03
South African......cool, you don't see those very much. :cool:

oldcrusty72
06-19-07, 06:30
When i first joined the Aust Army they still had the SLR (self loading rifle) version of the FN, we also had a heavy barreled Auto version with a bi-pod called the AR (automatic rifle), it had the same straight 30 round mags with it, and worked fine against gravity. As Templar pointed out, the curved ones from DSA are the old Brens modded to fit metric rifles (I even checked mine and found the grind marks where the old front lip used to be). I'm not sure if they have done anything with the springs or not but they are failry hit and miss. I prefer the 20's for relyability but have scored well with this one 30 that i carry. Most of the Aussie ones are now in "war stocks", although when we went to war and asked for some SLR (FN's) we were told, sorry it would cost to much to have them recomisioned for use. So???? F@*K knows why they are being stored. I guess they have no one to sell them to as we cannot have automatic rifles in Aust, it's almost enough reason to immigrate to the US.

Tim

TOrrock
06-19-07, 09:50
oldcrusty, the Aussie gov't surplussed some of your SLR's out to the States here about 6-7 years ago as parts kits, some were in excellent shape, and a lot showed some pretty serious use.

Unfortunately, we haven't seen any lately, and I doubt we'll see any more. Same for all the excellent Aussie 7.62x51mm ammo that we had here for a while. :(

CarlosDJackal
06-19-07, 16:50
Very schweet primary!!

Do you load your mags to the max (whether 20 or 30)?

oldcrusty72
06-20-07, 16:46
oldcrusty, the Aussie gov't surplussed some of your SLR's out to the States here about 6-7 years ago as parts kits, some were in excellent shape, and a lot showed some pretty serious use.

:(

Templar, that makes me even more upset knowing that not only can you guys have nice rilfes and we can't but you got all ours too, that sucks so bad. At least someones getting use from them i guess. It was a sad day when we lost them and went for the Steyr.

Carlos, yes mate i fill my mags right up. 20 and 30.

I also got another of my old FN's back the other day, KevinB and myself have been making some parts for it to get it up and running. It's basicly complete now although pretty dodgy. It cycled fine today but needed a heap of oil to keep it running. Now that we know it's working fine will get some propper parts to replace all our "Special" parts. I'll see if KevinB got any pics from the range today that show it.

Tim

TOrrock
06-20-07, 21:22
Not trying to take this too far off topic oldcrusty, but here's one of your SLR's reborn....

One of the other staff guys on AKForum, JohnO, rebuilt it, along with a S.A. R1.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/jaodom722/8-9-05003.jpg

oldcrusty72
06-22-07, 03:57
Very Nice :) That brings back some fond memories, I think I still have my issued Black Parade Sling for one of them too. There quite long for close counrty/jungle use but were well worth the effort of carrying.

Very Jelous mate, Very!!

oldcrusty72
07-02-07, 13:38
Oh yeah, I been meaning to mention too. If you have noticed that i have taken off the DSA Quick release gas plug off and fitted an origional. I found that daily carry getting in and out of vehicles the Quick release tended to turn itself around just enough to block the gas port. So in effect turning it into a single shot (no gas no cycle the action). I had found it like that a few times but didn't think much of it, just turned it around back to the normal position. It only happened once on the road going for the second shot and "stoppage", luckily the car stopped too. I replaced it as soon as i got back from the mission with the original one.

Tim