PDA

View Full Version : RE problem...

Col_Crocs
07-02-10, 10:36
So I have a milspec RE installed, castle nut staked in 2 places and have even fired a couple of hundred rounds through the carbine without any problems but just now noticed, if I tried, I could turn it by hand just a bit. It stops upon contact with the channel wall though, if at all.
Leave it be or take it apart, re-torque and re-stake?

5pins
07-02-10, 12:20
Personally I would re-torque and re-stake.

THCDDM4
07-02-10, 13:09
Personally I would re-torque and re-stake.

+1 on re-torque and re-stake.

Shihan
07-02-10, 13:20
Leaving it is asking for trouble. Torque correctly and restake, you may need a new plate depending.

JoshNC
07-02-10, 16:37
This could also be due to the width of channel on the underside of
the RE; the area where the receiver endplate interfaces with the RE.

If too wide either as a result of machining tolerences or from damage during assembly the scenario you describe could occur. I had it happen to me years ago after disassembling a Colt RE that I had previously loctited. The channel in the RE was peened out slightly wider right where it mattered and the RE could then be slightly rotated by hand when reassembled.

Col_Crocs
07-02-10, 19:06
Ya, the endplate is the reason for my hesitation... I have a few standard ones lying around but the one on at the moment has a side sling mount which I need for next weekend's hunting trip. I guess Im just going to have to put the sling on the stock itself--Better a marred CTR than a ruined RE.
Been wanting to change to an ASAP anyway, guess I now have a valid reason to get one.
Thanks guys!

Josh: I doubt it's gone as far as damaging the threads and widening the channel or atleast I hope it hasnt.

Artiz
07-02-10, 19:30
I'm having the same problem right now, it hasn't been shot yet as I'm building it, but it bugs me. It's an Armalite mil-spec RE and Armalite end plate, but the RE rotates like you describe anyway. I may try to find another end plate.

Col_Crocs
07-02-10, 19:47
Have you staked it yet? If not then just re-torque within the recommended range. I believe these things generally have just a bit of play for interchangeability between manufacturers but proper torque should prevent it from moving at all and then, ofcourse stake to ensure the castle nut stays in place.
Oh... and test before staking. Just speaking from experience. :D

Artiz
07-02-10, 19:53
Have you staked it yet? If not then just re-torque within the recommended range. I believe these things generally have just a bit of play for interchangeability between manufacturers but proper torque should prevent it from moving at all and then, ofcourse stake to ensure the castle nut stays in place.
Oh... and test before staking. Just speaking from experience. :D

Well, we'll be two to be able to speak from experience. LOL Do you recommend anything special on the threads before torquing it tight?

Col_Crocs
07-02-10, 20:31
Anti-seize if you have any. I personally use the same moly grease I use on my barrel nuts. Regular grease should do fine though as this area doesnt heat up and all youre really doing it trying to prevent the threads from galling.
The staking will serve as your loctite.

Artiz
07-02-10, 20:41
I was going to use moly grease anyway. And yeah, at least I only staked one side, so it shouldn't be a problem to remove. :p

glen
07-03-10, 10:02
I had the same problem at one time and it turned out to be the RE groove. Installed a new RE with the same plate and problem solved.

Could be the other way around and be the plate too though.

Col_Crocs
07-04-10, 19:32
Thanks glen! I remember checking the engagement when I first put it together and it was good. Will remember to do so with the new one. I doubt my current plate is salvageable since it's staked in 2 places.

glen
07-04-10, 21:04
Good luck with that! BTW, why would the staking in two places be a problem, couldn't you just clean up the old staking and re-stake in a different area?

Col_Crocs
07-04-10, 21:29
Im hoping to do that actually. JUst thinking ahead at the possibility it might not be loose enough for me to clear original stake points.
Im keeping my fingers crossed. :D

glen
07-04-10, 21:37
Ah, I see! I doubt it would be a problem, worst case I can think of is you might have to grind down any high spots... and you will probably get some "character marks" on that plate. :D

Col_Crocs
07-04-10, 23:34
Well, I definitely wouldnt mind that! :) Im even hoping to get a few more over the weekend.