PDA

View Full Version : 9mm for woman

KTR03
07-02-10, 15:07
Hey All,
Taught a beginners woman's handgun course last weekend. FInally got my wife to shoot, which was a huge deal. In 9mm's I default to Glock 19s. This course we had a mix of XDs standard and tactical, Glock 19s, M&P compact and tactical, and a Sig 226. All in 9mm. The universal favorite was the M&P with small grip panels.

I have thousands of rounds on G19s but have not really shot M&Ps much. They seem to have a craptastic stock trigger (I'm used to the Glock reset). For a house gun that both my wife and I would use, what is the current preference? M&P or G19/17. Ergos appear to favor the M&P. How about recoil? Reliability? My wife is still learning and has shifted from 22s to 9s. She currently thinks of the 9mm as having a lot recoil, so we have some ways to go. Still its awesome to be shooting with my wife.

THanks,

D

Hmac
07-02-10, 15:26
My wife had always used a .380 Govt Model and .380 NiteLite, but had become frustrated by their short sight radius and minimal sights. She wanted to go to 9mm, looked at Glocks, M&P, and finally settled on a Walther PPS. The Glock grip was a no-go, she didn't like the trigger on the M&P. I looked at a Kahr for her, shot a buddy's. Nice design, but shooting it I had several FTE and that kind of soured me on that particular weapon.

She has several hundred rounds through the PPS with not a single malfunction using various types of cheap range ammo (including a couple of magazines of some POF 9mm sub-gun ammo). Really nice pistol, very flat, narrow, nice grip for a small hand. Heavy slide, good spring...recoil is very manageable according to my wife. The trigger is very Glock-like in pull and reset.
Don't know about longevity, but Walther makes a pretty good gun.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/125884589.jpg

chavez_e_chavez
07-02-10, 15:38
Springfield xdm-9mm is a personal Fav of my wife..Shes a purdy good shot also..

Hmac
07-02-10, 17:02
My wife did look at the XDM, but found the checkering to be too aggressive, and the grip to be same problem as the double stack Glocks including the G26 - just too big for a small hand. Plus, it's a tough carry OWB and remain discrete.

I was rooting for a Glock so I could save the money on a blue-label. Spent almost twice as much on the Walther, but what are ya gonna do?

John_Wayne777
07-02-10, 17:33
I find myself intrigued by the PPS. So far most of what I've heard about the 9mm version has been pretty positive.

Hmac
07-02-10, 18:41
I find myself intrigued by the PPS. So far most of what I've heard about the 9mm version has been pretty positive.

I think it's very impressive. It sure is flat and slim. The only thing that puts me off about it is the magazine release - clever, but kinda weird. Doesn't bother my wife since she never carries an extra magazine.

Offsetting that oddity is the "hammer cocked" indicator on the butt of the slide. I like that.

GermanSynergy
07-02-10, 20:19
Hey All,
Taught a beginners woman's handgun course last weekend. FInally got my wife to shoot, which was a huge deal. In 9mm's I default to Glock 19s. This course we had a mix of XDs standard and tactical, Glock 19s, M&P compact and tactical, and a Sig 226. All in 9mm. The universal favorite was the M&P with small grip panels.

I have thousands of rounds on G19s but have not really shot M&Ps much. They seem to have a craptastic stock trigger (I'm used to the Glock reset). For a house gun that both my wife and I would use, what is the current preference? M&P or G19/17. Ergos appear to favor the M&P. How about recoil? Reliability? My wife is still learning and has shifted from 22s to 9s. She currently thinks of the 9mm as having a lot recoil, so we have some ways to go. Still its awesome to be shooting with my wife.

THanks,

D

The worst thing I ever did firearm wise was to "pick" a pistol for my ex wife (while we were married). She ended up going thru 5 or 6 handguns before settling on one and sticking with it.

Both the M&P and Glock series are fine handguns. See what she shoots well with and go from there. :cool:

VirginiaTactical
07-02-10, 20:46
My wife has small hands and she is by no means an easy shooter to diagnose and fix.

She started off with a 1911 commander chambered in 9mm that we had the good boys at precision weapons section make for us on Quantico, VA.

Of course she then wanted to try out one of my M&Ps after she noticed her 1911 got quite heavy after a while.

It has been over 1 year since the caspian commander has come out of the bag, and she is 100% dedicated to her m&P. We just came back from a day of shooting today in Culpeper, and we both put around 400 rounds through each of our M&Ps.

Stoppages: 0
Misses on target: too many to count
good guy targets hit on scenarious: 2
Bag guy targets hit: a good amount in the right places!!

My wife "loves" her m&p and wants me to buy another one for her as a backup. She currently shoots an m&p pro. The only thing done to the gun is the apex duty rig minus the spring. She also uses medium backstraps.

+1 for the M&P. If anyone is selling an M&P 9L let me know I will buy a used one for 500 bucks =P. I am very much sold on M&Ps for female shooters. The fulcrum point is so high on the gun, and it runs like a swiss watch... granted we have had many things break on the gun. Like any piece of machinery if you put enough miles on it ... you need an oil change .. or in our case an extracer or 2 change =)

I also carry a stock M&P9C, and shoot ipsc with a M&P9L

VirginiaTactical
07-02-10, 20:47
oh ... and something I have picked up over the years ... if you want to shoot more ... make your wife happy at the range. She will want to come out to the range more and you get to shoot more as well! :D

blackboar
07-02-10, 20:49
Not sure if she'll be carrying, but here are a couple ideas. 2 full size and 2 smaller sized guns.

There is the 4th gen Glock 17's. Very soft on recoil. Also, the Sig 226 E2 is comfortable for small hands. If price is ok for you, a 9mm 1911 like a Springfield EMP is nice also. I've shot all 3, of the 3, I think the E2 has the softest recoil. The Kahr P9 is small. I've heard varying degrees of reliability on it though. Some accounts have been flawless after a break in period, others have had FTF's left and right. The only thing about the Kahr is if she's already mentioning felt recoil in 9mm, the little Kahr may not be a good choice.

Surf
07-02-10, 22:52
Both women that I armed each have Gen3 Glocks. My wife chose the G19 and my mother believe it or not liked the G34. These are not concealed carry, just home defense. They both have small hands and I am quite sure that the Gen4 grip size would be a much better fit for both of them.

Oscar 319
07-02-10, 23:16
Take a look at a Smith & Wesson 3913 if you can find one. They also make a "Lady Smith" version.

Omega Man
07-02-10, 23:44
I have Sig's, Glock's, XD's, 1911's and HK's. My wife likes the HK P30 the best.

Belmont31R
07-03-10, 00:24
My wife started with a Sig Mosquito, and then moved to a G19. She doesnt shoot much but she can keep rounds in the black, and knows how to work the gun. We'd like to shoot more together but its too much at times with her nursing school, kids, work, etc.

tpd223
07-03-10, 02:35
My wife started out with my Glock 26, after trying out a Kahr CW9 she decided she liked single stack guns better, she CCWs a PM9 now.

Hmac
07-03-10, 04:43
I am very much sold on M&Ps for female shooters. ...... granted we have had many things break on the gun. Like any piece of machinery if you put enough miles on it ... you need an oil change ..

Hmm...that statement would concern me if I were buying an M&P. I don't think I've had two things break on any pistol I've ever owned, let alone the same part.

VirginiaTactical
07-03-10, 04:56
Hmm...that statement would concern me if I were buying an M&P. I don't think I've had two things break on any pistol I've ever owned, let alone the same part.

Well I am being honest =). If you put 10,000 rounds through a gun you should replace certain parts. I would reference the replacement part on the M&P armorer's manual. It recommends replacement of the recoil spring at 5,000 rounds. We replace our recoil springs every 5,000 rounds.

My wife's m&P has 12,000 +/- rounds through it. I kept up with the armorer's manual and replaced any part the manual recommended at the exact mileage or close to it.

My primary gun has 60,000 +/- through it. I have replaced most of the internal parts.

This being said ... most people do not shoot that amount of ammo through their guns. I have broken every gun that comes around to us at work. Even mr glock breaks =) You can't expect any firearm to perform flawlessly if you are going to shoot it 3 or 4 times a week with 200+ rounds each session. It is going to need that "oil change".

100% recommend preventive maintenance on any firearm!

VirginiaTactical
07-03-10, 05:00

Oh and you are right about the extractor on the M&P ... the old extractors are mimed and are horrible. The new ones are milled and work wonders. I replaced the mimd extractor at around round count 10,000 and I replaced the extractor again at the start of this year RC was around 45,000. I just replaced it at the start of the year to keep my maintainence book current and uniform with my other m&ps.

Business_Casual
07-03-10, 10:34
A lot of opinions already recorded here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52826&highlight=female

B_C

sproc
07-03-10, 12:40
I started my wife on a G19 (Gen3). The first experience was terrible: lots of failures that I assume were caused by limp-wristing. That was using 115gr. She had no problems with a 1911, so I guessed the lighter 9mm rounds were too "snappy" for her and switched her to 147gr (standard pressure). She experienced no failures with the 147's. But she was still unhappy with the Glock because it felt like a 2x4 in her small hands.

Next she tried an M&P9 and was much happier; no failures with any bullet weight and much better ergos for her with the small grip insert.

I plan to buy an M&P9c for her to try as well.

EzGoingKev
07-04-10, 18:09
Make sure whatever she gets she can rack the slide. Some women seem to have problems with this.

David Thomas
07-04-10, 19:13
My wife likes 1911's. She does not care for Glocks or J frame smiths.
The recoil does not bother her as much as the heavy triggers on the Glocks and J frames.

For use in the house, the size shouldn't be a problem.

Kool Aid
07-05-10, 10:28
Mrs. Kool Aid is newbie and she has adopted our HK P30 V3 as her own. She shoots it just fine, but its hard to motivate her to shoot anything other than our Buck Mark .22 when we are on the firing line. Once, I brought my M&P 9c to the range without telling her, and she never noticed that she was shooting a different pistol. The 9c was very popular among several ladies and gentlemen at a recent outing, and one of the guys bought one for he & his wife immediately after the session.

Despite minimal experience, the little lady has a strong preference for a short, light trigger like the Buck Mark. She detests long, heavy DA triggers, and I'd never get her to practice enough with this trigger system to become proficient.

She likes the size and looks of the Kahr PM9, Kel Tec PF9 and LCP, but the loud report and stout recoil scares her. She won't shoot any of them.

landrvrnut22
07-05-10, 11:13
I took my wife to the range, and with help from the other members, my wife got to shoot a variety of pistols. Glocks, M&P, XD, 1911, M9, S&W 4509, Kahr P9, and she settled for a Beretta Cougar. The smaller size, and metal construction reduces the recoil, and fits her hands like a glove. I don't know if it is the rotating breech or not, but she is easily able to rack the slide. I know many have a hatred for the gun, but my wife loves it, and I have shot IDPA with it a few times. It is a good little pistol for the $350 I paid for it.

Unfortuneately, there is no one size fits all. Find her a pistols that fits her, and your range visits will be much more enjoyable.