PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Rocket, fall out of favor?

rob_s
07-02-10, 16:33
For awhile there everyone with a Glock was dropping this thing into them. I haven't heard much about them in awhile. They still around? Fall out of favor for some reason? Some fatal flaw I'm unaware of?

orionz06
07-02-10, 18:26
Polishing was all I ever wanted in a Glock trigger. Third generation perfection was adequate.

deuce9166
07-02-10, 21:20
I have one but I like Lone Wolf better. I have several of those. I did not see (feel) much difference between the Ghost and stock.

Robb Jensen
07-02-10, 21:30
I like and prefer to use standard Ghost 3.5lb connectors which don't require fitting. Glocks overtravel has never bothered my shooting in the least. I've owned a few Ghost Rockets but ended up swapping them out for standard Ghosts due to preference.

deuce9166
07-02-10, 21:32
I appologize. That is what I have the 3.5 not the Rocket.

I like and prefer to use standard Ghost 3.5lb connectors which don't require fitting. Glocks overtravel has never bothered my shooting in the least. I've owned a few Ghost Rockets but ended up swapping them out for standard Ghosts due to preference.

Surf
07-02-10, 22:47
I just put a 3.5 Ghost Rocket in my new G35 as a friend of mine had it for quite awhile new and gave it to me. I actually took a long time to fit it as I wanted to see what the least amount of over travel I could get out of it. I noted about how much needed to come off and initially shaved quite a bit and the slide still locked up, which was good as I didn't go to far. After that I took off minute amounts at a time. After doing this, quite honestly I cannot really notice much difference in the overtravel. As mentioned, I really don't think the Gen3/Gen4's have much anyway. I know I couldn't tell a difference and I am pretty finicky about my triggers. I pretty much do a 3.5 / standard spring combo and a polish job in my for fun Glocks. But the Rocket really didn't do much for me, or anything that I could actually notice.

trio
07-02-10, 23:58
i also use the standard ghosts with the NY1....i've had a couple ghost rockets and honestly I liked the standard 3.5 ghosts better..

t1tan
07-03-10, 02:39
I've never used the Ghost or any other aftermarket connector but the factory Glock (-) connector (3.5 or 4.5 or whatever people are calling them now) has worked well for me, no issues.

rob_s
07-03-10, 05:40
So it would appear that my initial assesment, that the time spent fitting and the added cost of the "overtravel" tab are not worth it and the factory 3.5 or standard Ghost are preferred?

What about the Scherer part?

rob_s
07-03-10, 05:48

If I understand other posts I've seen from you on the subject, you also install the NY1 but remove the coil spring, indicated in this photo by the yellow arrow?

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/p_100002745_1.jpg

Robb Jensen
07-03-10, 07:45
Rob it depends on the gun on some Glocks I use a standard trigger spring and on others I use a NY1 w/o its coil springs or I clip coils off of it or install a much lighter spring in it's place.

Stay far away from titanium in Glocks as well anything from Scherer.

Abraxas
07-03-10, 08:24

I am curious as to why?

ColdDeadHands
07-03-10, 11:43
How do the Lone Wolf 3.5# Connectors compare?

Robb Jensen
07-03-10, 11:50
I am curious as to why?

Makes for unreliable, dangerous or auto Glocks...

ColdDeadHands
07-03-10, 12:00

Is that bad? :D

Abraxas
07-03-10, 12:03

Really, I would think that titanium would be a good enough material. Is it just that there are no good manufactures?

ST911
07-03-10, 12:23
For awhile there everyone with a Glock was dropping this thing into them. I haven't heard much about them in awhile. They still around? Fall out of favor for some reason? Some fatal flaw I'm unaware of?

Like so many other widgets, they're not the latest-greatest anymore.

In an of itself, I thought the GR deserved a big "meh." It did what it did, but I never thought it was what it was asserted to be.

So it would appear that my initial assesment, that the time spent fitting and the added cost of the "overtravel" tab are not worth it and the factory 3.5 or standard Ghost are preferred? What about the Scherer part?

Factory parts are the only ones that can be counted on to be consistently in spec and reliable. All others are suspect until proven otherwise.

Like much else in many other systems, what little benefit is possible with certain aftermarket components is lost on the overwhelming majority of shooters.

Agreed.

kaltblitz
07-03-10, 15:07
I like to keep my Glocks stock.

I like a factory 3.5 lbs connector with NY1 spring.

The only aftermarket stuff I use are the sights and Vickers mag catch.

Rider79
07-03-10, 15:09

Whoa. Further explanation of this please. I have Scherer 3.5 connectors in a couple of my 9mm Glocks and factory 3.5s in the others but I can't remember which one has which, how severe of a problem is this? I have Lone Wolf 3.5s sitting here for my last 2 Glocks that need the upgrade.

msstate56
07-03-10, 16:59
I use Ghost standard connectors in all my glocks. I have used the 3.5 and the 5.0 patrol trigger, as well as the glock (-) connector. I much prefer the Ghost parts over the stock parts of "equal" trigger weight. The Ghost parts provide a much smoother trigger pull, with a crisp break. I have several thousand rounds on the Ghost connectors, and they have proven to be reliable.

Avenger29
07-03-10, 18:44
Is that bad? :D

Not unless you like Pound You In the Ass prison...

RD62
07-03-10, 20:08
I hope this isn't too far off topic, but am I really missing out on running just the stock factory Glock parts?

I've carried a G22 on duty with a 27 for a BUG/off-duty and now that I'm no longer LE I carry a G17 as my CCW. All have been bone stock, with essentially zero malfunctions or issues. My other pistols (Beretta, 1911, etc) have all had trigger work, and other mods done, but my Glocks have always been stock. I think I shoot them well, and certainly never had an issue with qualifications, but wondered if I was missing something.

I'm torn. I'm tempted to leave well enough alone, but sometimes just have to monkey around with stuff.

Is there a particular combo of parts that's regarded as an improvement over stock without sacrificing durability/reliability?

-RD62

djegators
07-03-10, 20:14
RD62, I'm with you, my GLOCKS are factory stock. I do have a 21 I bought used, that the original owner put night sights and a butt plug, but other than that, all of mine are as they came from GLOCK.

operator81
07-03-10, 21:48
I like to keep my Glocks stock.

I like a factory 3.5 lbs connector with NY1 spring.

The only aftermarket stuff I use are the sights and Vickers mag catch.

Mine are thusly set up this way. I've tried a Ghost Rocket from a G30 I purchased in my G20 and didn't really like it. Granted, it was smooth and had a shorter reset, 0 overtravel, etc. It just felt weird on a Glock and I just prefer stock trigger parts in my Glocks.

SeaSoldier
07-03-10, 22:09
I have a regular Ghost in my G17 IDPA gun. I tried a Ghost Rocket and it was to spongy. I much prefer the LWD overtravel stop with the nylon allen screw to stop the rear travel. That being said the Ghost Rocket may feel totally different in another Glock. For carry I like a standard Ghost connector and a NY1 trigger spring.

ck1
07-07-10, 11:02
IMO over-travel in a Glock isn't as much of a big deal as they/some make it out to be, in fact, they're such lightweight guns I tend to fall into the crowd that feels that under rapid-fire the over-travel stop tends to make the guns less forgiving as banging off the over-travel stop tends to push the gun off target a bit. Glock's don't really have a huge amount of over-travel anyways and seems having just a little still present can actually work out better when shooting fast according to my targets.

FWIW, I've been using the little mentioned Ghost 4.5 "Ranger" for a while now and think it's a real sleeper when it comes to Glock triggers, as far as I know it's the only "in-between" connector out there. It's lighter than a 5.0/5.5 connector but much shorter and crisper than any 3.5 connector, I use 'em with a 6lb trigger-spring and end up at about the same pull-weight as a good 3.5 connector, but my trigger has way less travel, shorter reset, crisper break, and no mush present whatsoever... keeps the good aspects of the 5.0 intact (crisp break, short reset) but lightens things up, dare I say it's almost 1911-like with this combo, and just about every Glock shooter I've let try my gun ends up ordering up the same combo. Highly recommend dropping $20 and giving this recipe a try, especially if you've tried a few different combos and still aren't quite happy.

PaulL
07-07-10, 16:06
I run the Ghost Tactical in mine. The weight feels stock but without the overtravel.