PDA

View Full Version : Surviving a home invasion.

Irish
07-02-10, 18:11
I read this article today and thought others might benefit from it as well. Obviously there are many things that went "wrong" but in the end the couple survived and showed their tenacity to prevail. I think some of the suggestions listed from the survivor/author are worth reading and thinking about. http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/07/surviving_a_home_invasion_robb.html

On August 2nd, 1997 I had the hardest choice in my life to make, that was to survive. Masked men wearing camouflage and carrying guns kicked my front door in at 12:40 am. I was sitting about five feet from the front door waiting for my son to arrive home for the evening. I heard my doorknob jiggle. I thought it was my son trying to get his key in the door. I made it within two feet of the door and stopped because I had not heard him set his car alarm. With one kick from a 299 pound man took my door off the hinges. The deadbolt and regular lock did not help. I heard someone say: "Lay down ma’am" or "Get down ma’am." I had to make a split second decision whether I was going to lie down or fight. I decided that I had to fight or we might die.

I took off running to where my husband was sleeping, screaming for him to help me. One intruder tried to jump over the couch to stop me and he fell, the other one chased me but did not catch me. I made it to the bedroom and tried to hold the door shut. The door did not close all the way but I had my body against it trying to keep them out. My husband Mike had woken up and did not know what was going on. He made it to [join] me at the bedroom door about the time the door was busted into two pieces, over my body. Then I felt a burning sensation go through my chest. A 9mm bullet had hit me near my heart. We think Mike was shot once at this time but he does not remember the first bullet hitting him in the shoulder and coming out his back near his spine. Mike grabbed the intruders and would not let them go. He tried taking them back out of our home and was fighting them through the kitchen and into the living room. This gave me enough time to call 911, give our address and tell them we were being shot.

I then thought about everything my husband had taught me about self defense. It was now or never. I went for his .22 [rimfire] that he had sitting on the headboard. All I could think was cock the hammer back and take the safety off. This is what he showed me every time he would work a night shift. He would tell me that this is for you to protect you and the children. I never really thought that I had listened to him but I had. I now had to decide how to shoot at the intruders that were fighting Mike. I might shoot Mike by accident. I ran out of the bedroom and into the living room and shot warning shots over their heads. I thought they would run away. They did not. One intruder got away from Mike. He was running towards me. I ran back to the bedroom and turned to fire on him. He was not there. I waited about a second or two and he did not come to the door.

I had to do something. I went to the bedroom door and peeked out to look for the intruder. He was squatted down by my refrigerator waiting for me to come out with the pistol pointing in my direction. I knew I still had to help Mike. Next to my bedroom door is an 8 inch wall and then an opening that leads to the dining room. The dining room also has another doorway that leads into the living room. I knew they would not have known this. While he waited for me to run out, all I could see was his arm and gun around the refrigerator. The refrigerator also blocked him from seeing me slide against the wall to go into the dining room. I made it into the dining room and came out the other doorway with my gun drawn and prepared to fire on the intruder. He never knew what was coming because this put his back to me. I opened fired and shot him in the back two times. He said: "The F….. Bitch shot me, kill her." That brought me back to reality that Mike was still fighting one of the intruders. When I turned to help Mike, I watched the intruder put the gun to Mike’s side and fire. Mike dropped to the floor from the gun shot and this gave me the opportunity to fire on this intruder. There was just one problem. I had no more cartridges. I turned to run and as I turned he opened fire with eight bullets. One round hit me in the shoulder and came out my back. I ran back to the bedroom and prayed that the police would arrive [in time] to catch them before they made it up my long driveway. They did not.

I thought Mike was dead and the house had gotten very quiet. I thought they had left because 911 kept calling back on the phone and hanging up when the answering machine would come on. I knew they wanted out of this situation because things had gone very wrong for them. Then all the sudden I heard someone scream at Mike: “Where is the f…… keys to that truck?” He said, in my hat, on the gun cabinet, in the bedroom. I was still in the bedroom but I now knew Mike was still alive. I knew the intruder was coming back in the bedroom where I was. The door was busted and the light was off where Mike had been sleeping. I was about 2 feet from the door when he appeared and screamed “where are you”? I did not answer hoping he would leave or the police would arrive. He didn’t, he turned the light on and there I was. He put a sawed off type shotgun to my temple. He screamed, “Where are the f…… keys to that truck?” I had heard what Mike had said about the keys but my purse was right there and I had a set of keys. He screamed: “Did you call 911?” and I lied, and said “No but you have already shot us just leave”. Just take our truck and go. About that time my hand came out of my purse with the keys and he grabbed them and ran.

I thought to myself: "Please wake up from this horrible nightmare." I looked down at my chest to see that I was bleeding very badly. I knew then it was not a nightmare. I thought of the ringing phone. That is the help that I need for Mike and I. I got to the phone and talked to the 911 dispatch. I really don’t remember much about what the dispatch operator was saying because I was thinking of my family. I put my mom on three-way calling to tell her what had happened and tell her I love her before I died. I then thought of my son that was due home any minute. I then put my sister on three-way calling to tell her to get here for my son. He would need family there in case I died. From the time I made the original phone call it took the police about 14 minutes to arrive on the scene.

Tips to Survive a home invasion robbery:

1.You must make you own choices of what to do to survive. Do not depend on the police or your neighbors to protect you. You must protect your family and yourself. They may take what they want and leave you unharmed. You may give them everything that they want and they may want to rape your wife just so you can watch. You may not have enough money or valuables so they'll kill you anyway. Or they'll kill you because you might be able to [later] identify them. You have to decide what your life is worth. I made the choice that I did out of fear of the unknown and the will to survive.

2.Get a Concealed Carry Permit. Take courses to teach you how to correctly use your weapon. Classes on self defense. Training in self defense strategies practiced in role playing scenarios. Practice with your weapon on the firing range. Practice can make perfect and you want to be comfortable with your weapon. If you have children don’t hide your weapon, teach them the right and wrong use of the weapon. Most children once they have seen and heard what a weapon can do would never touch one without you. But keep your weapons out of the reach of children and have gun locks and all weapons except your personal weapon and that should be on you at all times. (That should be backed by our Constitutional Rights but in many cases has been taken from us). Children are curious of the unknown. Do role playing scenarios with your children of different scenarios of events that can happen. This is not limited to home invasions but can be done with stranger danger, fires and many other dangers in our children’s lives that could happen to them.

3.Be alert of your home and surroundings. Don’t think it can’t happen to you or your family. Think again, home invasions happen everyday. Home invasions don’t make the news unless someone dies, or if there is no other news stories for the news that day. I never would have thought it could happen to us but it did. We did not know the intruders, this was a random act. It doesn’t matter where you live it can happen to you.

4.Use your instinct to get you through, because your instincts are usually right. Never second guess yourself. Make a plan and stick to it. If plan A does not work, then go to Plan B or Plan C. You must play the hand you are dealt. If you confuse the intruders or their plan fails, then they usually don’t have a Plan B or Plan C.

5.Be prepared to use your weapon to protect your family and home. "Your home is your castle" laws should apply in most states. [In those states] the law gives you legal right to use deadly force and if it results in death can be defended as justifiable homicide under the castle doctrine. Each state is responsible for its own castle laws. It is your responsibly to know that laws of your state. Some states have a stand your ground rule while other states have a [responsibility to] retreat law. Make sure you follow the laws of your state so you are fully protected [legally]. Some states have added legislation that also gives you this protection in your vehicle and your place of employment.

6.For you women, there are purses designed to hold your weapon. I can have my purse on my shoulder and my hand on the grip of my gun for my outside activities or walking to my car alone. This is a great self confidence builder when you are all alone and scared. There are thugs everywhere and the split second it may take for you to get to your weapon can be the difference between life and death.
Conclusion
Mike and I both survived this home invasion. We worked together as a team. I will admit that I was not prepared for what happened to us. Mike always was worried about protecting his family. I never thought this would happen to us. Now I am more prepared and I watch my back everywhere I go. Mike and I are survivors not victims.

The intruders did not get what they came for. But what they did get is what they deserved. The [third man, their] driver left the intruders at our home after the shooting started. He received a five year sentence and served about 3-1/2 years. The intruder that shot us received five life terms in the Florida Prison System. He was charged with the death of the intruder that I shot, under Florida law. (Florida law states that if anyone dies in the commission of a crime then that it is [deemed] Felony Murder. So this intruder was found guilty of the murder of his accomplice. ) He was also found guilty of two attempted murders, armed robbery and armed burglary. He will never be eligible for parole. The other intruder got something he probably never bargained for. He was shot by me and died in my yard. The autopsy stated he lived 5 to 10 minutes after being shot. He was also run over by the other intruder as he was leaving in our truck. We don’t know if this was so he would not talk or if his friend ran over him by accident. I hope he made piece with God before he died. I live with the fact that I took a human life. I know that is was self defense but I still have the emotional scars to carry with me.

sadmin
07-02-10, 18:29
This encounter was on "I Survived" show on the Bio channel. It was startling; and on a sidenote that show and these stories are the reason that I now keep a handgun hidden in my living room as opposed to just my bedroom.

SteyrAUG
07-04-10, 23:10
I'd add a few tips.

1. Don't use a damn .22 rimfire as a defensive gun. It pisses people off and makes them want to kill you more than they already did.

2. Keep LOADED spare mags with the gun. An empty gun is pretty useless.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-05-10, 02:48
Warning shots after you are shot, damn some people are more forgiving than others.

It sometimes seems like macho BS to say that you should stay in the fight after being shot, but it seems like in 50% of shootings people don't even realize they are shot.

"22lr" and 'defensive' should only be used in the same sentence if you are being attacked by squirrels.

I can't figure out how to use 3-way calling when I'm sober and have the directions in front of me.

SteyrAUG
07-05-10, 12:58
Warning shots after you are shot, damn some people are more forgiving than others.

More foolish than forgiving. I'd rather use those rounds and time to prevent myself or my loved ones from being shot. And in that situation the best way to achieve that goal it to kill all of the attackers in the house as fast as I can.

I can't imagine being in a shoot situation where one of them has my wife. But I know the best way to try and save her and it ISN'T by trusting such people won't hurt her.

Irish
07-05-10, 13:35
More foolish than forgiving. I'd rather use those rounds and time to prevent myself or my loved ones from being shot.

I couldn't agree more. Especially foolish when she's using a .22 to start with and there are multiple attackers, why waste ammo?

NMBigfoot02
07-05-10, 14:24
A lot of good take aways from this story.

I'm just glad she was able to put one of the SOBs down in the process and that the other guy will be in Pound-Me-In-The-Ass-Prison for the rest of his life.

kry226
07-07-10, 07:54
This encounter was on "I Survived" show on the Bio channel. It was startling; and on a sidenote that show and these stories are the reason that I now keep a handgun hidden in my living room as opposed to just my bedroom.

This. Wherever I am when they come in, wherever they push me to, there will be a pistol waiting for me in that part of the house.

Jager
07-08-10, 01:08
Call me paranoid but I am normally armed when I'm at home... and everywhere else. I did not see this on TV, thank you for posting the story.

SteyrAUG
07-09-10, 02:26
I have also found dogs to be an excellent deterrent.

vigilant2
07-09-10, 04:39

as well as an excellent early warning system!

Army Chief
07-09-10, 06:02

Agreed, and one of the things that I learned relatively late in life is that two is really no more trouble than one -- and usually twice the fun. Not only do they keep each other company, but when other members of the pack (us) are threatened, as in a case like this one, they will instinctively work as a team to deal with intruders.

AC

NMBigfoot02
07-09-10, 08:15
as well as an excellent early warning system!

Funny that you mention that. I recall someone posted an ebook awhile back written by a former burglar that recommended dogs and even cats as early warning detectors.

THCDDM4
07-09-10, 09:02
A loyal pit bull and an appropriate caliber weapon that is accessible in every single area of the house, proper training; then you have options, options, options...

I run dry drills/scenarios with my family and if/when the time comes, we will be robots on a mission to kill the intruders with haste.
Just like dry firing a gun to get used to it; "dry fire yourself" so to speak & dry run your defensive scenarios over and over again as often as is possible for you and yours. At the very least it provides you with ideas of what may happen and how to cope with it as it relates to your specific surroundings; and an increased reaction time as you have drilled it into your brain over and over again.

It's like role playing, I put myself into the mind of a criminal (Or that of a freshly awoken victim of home intrusion; whichever role happens to be my turn) on a mission to rob the house and kill the family inside; the games begin; each time we learn something new and put that on the mental back burner for when it is needed. Each time we learn what NOT to do; and we get closer to what TO do and refine/hone our skill/awarness as well.

We have practiced every scenario we can think of/take from others real life every single weekend for 4 years now; and our house is as ready as we can be; and still training/running dry drills.

When we started; none of us were to hot at diffusing the situation; each one of us "Died" so to speak quite a bit. But since we have been doing it for years now, we have been "Successful" on each and every run for quite a while; succesful being: diffusing the situation with the intruder(s) being killed; not shot and left to do more harm to one of us; but KILLED.

It was really awesome to see how much of an improvement we all made over short periods of time as well as over the entire time we have been doing it; and how quickly we became machines of reaction and action/adaptation.

They were luky to survive with no plan other than cock teh gun; a .22 lr and ignorant "warning" shots:eek:
Never ever fire a "warning" shot; shoot to kill or don't shoot at all, IMO. Shooting a warning shot in real life will get you shot 99.99% of the time.

No matter where any of us are in our home; we have a gun within a 3 foot reach; hidden (VERY WELL) and known only by us.

QuietShootr
07-09-10, 09:32

I keep a carbine in whatever room I'm in. A home invasion is a low probability event, but I've had several low probability events happen to me in the course of my life.

jjw
07-09-10, 11:35
[QUOTE= Wherever I am when, they come in, wherever they push me to, there will be a pistol waiting for me in that part of the house.[/QUOTE]

only 1 gun in the house NONSENSE. i will always be near a gun,extra mags and a surefire. 1 is none etc.

gutsy lady. glad she survived to teach us all. am married to a russian accountant from n.y with her own mp-5.

Sgt5811
07-18-10, 21:18
Those of us married for any length of time might think twice, shoot the hostage then shoot the bad guy or, shoot the bad guy then shoot the hostage. All kidding aside, excellent post. I pray this never happens to any of us but if we all prepare for the worst, is the worst prepared for us? Just another reminder to take my wife and kids to the range with me next time.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-18-10, 22:53
A home invasion is a low probability event, but I've had several low probability events happen to me in the course of my life.

For your sake I hope one of the events includes Elle McPherson.

The lady did seem to have pretty good tactial sense in knowing where she could move and what she could see.

On the Carbine, I just cleared out a cabinet under the TV that has shelf free now..... Or one of those slim-line finger print safes on the back of one of the pic frames that are all over my family room.

SteyrAUG
07-20-10, 00:42
Funny that you mention that. I recall someone posted an ebook awhile back written by a former burglar that recommended dogs and even cats as early warning detectors.

Not to mention when they go knocking on doors during the day (usually pretending to sell some kind of crap) while most folks are at work to determine what houses are empty during the day and look promising, having a couple dogs answer that knock will usually get you taken off the list.

Belmont31R
07-20-10, 00:47
Not to mention when they go knocking on doors during the day (usually pretending to sell some kind of crap) while most folks are at work to determine what houses are empty during the day and look promising, having a couple dogs answer that knock will usually get you taken off the list.

Ive got two 10lb yappy dogs, and one 60lb half rotty that answers the door. They do not miss a beat either. One of the yappy ones sits on the couch all day, and looks out the window.

Little woman like yappy dogs really are great for the warning. The big ones serve at the deterrent.

DireWulf
07-20-10, 03:13
In 1997 I was a police officer in one of the largest cities in the U.S. I was recently divorced and I decided to move into a home that was part of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s “Officer Next Door Program”. This allowed police officers to purchase fully renovated homes in so-called “depressed” neighborhoods in large urban centers at greatly reduced prices. The street I moved to was a fair representation of a low income neighborhood. Although, I still had several neighbors who had lived there for decades and were good people.

I’d been in the house four months and I normally had a take home marked police car in the driveway, but on this particular night I had to leave it at work due to a number of vehicles being down for maintenance. A knock came at the door shortly before 8 PM. I took my Glock-21 off the end table in the living room where I was watching TV and looked through the peep hole. There was a seventeen-year-old girl standing on my porch. I looked out two windows before answering to make sure that there weren’t others that I couldn’t see. The house had a heavy steel mesh security door on the outside so when I opened the main door there was a decent barrier between her and I.

I asked the girl if I could help her while keeping the Glock hidden behind my back. She said she was looking for Chris. I told her that no one by that name was at this address and started to close the door. She then said “Whatever, asshole.” I watched her walk away down the road and disappear. I shut the door and went back to watching football. This time, my M4 joined me in the living room. After about five minutes, I decided to call the precinct and tell them what happened. The desk officer sent out a message to the units in my area to keep an eye out for the girl.

About forty minutes later another knock comes at the door. I look out the peep hole and there are two men on my porch with the girl from earlier. I picked up the phone and called 911 and told the dispatcher who I was and what the deal was. All the while, these morons are knocking on my door. I didn’t want these idiots to disappear without at least being ID’d so I set the phone down on the table next to the door, put my M4 behind me just inside the hallway where I could step aside to cover and get it. I answered the door with the Glock behind my back again. This is where the fun starts.

I no more than open the main door when idiot #1 says: “Where’s Christian?” I replied that there was no Christian at this location and that they had the wrong house. The other male says “Bullshit. Get that ****ing asshole out here now.” I said “There’s no Christian here. I’ve been living here for a few months and my name is not Christian.” He replied: “You’re a ****ing liar.” At this point, I could hear the siren of the first unit responding. I told him again that he had the wrong address and he got crazy. When I say crazy, I mean crazy. He grabbed the door handle and started trying to pull the door open. The door was a heavy security door with a decent bolt lock. Nonetheless, I had doubts that the door would hold. I stepped back away from the door, identified myself as a police officer, announced that I was armed and told the guy to stop with the Glock at low ready. His next words were “You’re ****ed! That’s what you are! You’re dead!” Then he started kicking the door. This wasn’t terribly smart since the door opened outward.

I shut the main door and bolted it and put the chain on. I grabbed the phone and my M4 and took a position of cover behind a large oak armoire that I use as a liquor/china cabinet. The three of them headed off the porch and one of them tried going behind the house. About that time, the first unit arrived and proned out one guy and the girl. The second guy saw what was going on and tried to run, but the next unit arriving cut him off. He mouthed off and got pepper sprayed for his trouble.

These morons were looking for a guy that had rented that house about a year before I moved in. Apparently, there was some money and property that had changed hands some time ago between the guy and the former resident, but money was still owed. The best part of the whole deal is that the loudmouth who threatened to kill me was on parole for aggravated assault, robbery and forgery. He went right back to the clink for six years. He was also charged with Criminal Trespass, Criminal Damage and Attempted Burglary. The girl was released to her parents and the other guy had a warrant for diving suspended and he went to jail. Both of them were charged with Criminal Trespass as well.

I’ve since retired and moved to acreage in a nice secluded place in another state. I now have two Rottweilers for early warning. I had a security door installed at my new home too. I figured it served me well enough. I keep a Glock-36 with me when working around the property and I’ve got an underfolding AK for a farm truck and tractor gun. If it gets beaten up and dinged, who cares. That’s what AK’s are for anyway. My AR is still my primary house gun. This incident was a learning experience for me. Now that I'm no longer a police officer, Id certainly do a few things differently. Mainly, I wouldn't even answer the door. I'd arm myself, tell them to go away, let the dogs growl and bark and wait for the either the cops to show up to collect them or the door to crash open. At which time the rodeo, sponsored by Daniel Defense, would commence.

QuietShootr
07-20-10, 06:42
For your sake I hope one of the events includes Elle McPherson.

I got shit-hammered with Kathleen Turner in Limelight in New York City once, and I think that should count.

kry226
07-20-10, 06:44
Good points made, all around.

However, several months ago I was watching a security-type show on some Discovery/TLC-type channel where former criminals helped home owners secure their home after one of them broke into the house, with the owner's permission, of course.

The episode I watched showed how easily the crook got into the house with a foaming Rottweiler ready to tear his head off. A couple of quick moves and maybe a scooby snack and the crook was inside with the pooch now locked outside on the deck. The crook then commenced to ransacking the house and stealing everything he wanted. Aside from noise from the barking, there was little to distract the crook or attract attention.

I think there's a good lesson there. While I don't think anyone is really saying anything different, a good point is that dogs can serve their purpose very well, but they are not the Holy Grail of home defense. And they certainly cannot replace good old fashioned, common sense security measures. They might keep the half-stoned meth addict away, but I feel determined, experience, professional burglars will only be slowed down and slightly inconvenienced by a dog- if you have something they want.

When it comes to home invasions, obviously the right dog is indispensable in subduing or at least distracting the assailant long enough to dispatch the mofo.

YMMV.

QuietShootr
07-20-10, 07:14
Good points made, all around.

However, several months ago I was watching a security-type show on some Discovery/TLC-type channel where former criminals helped home owners secure their home after one of them broke into the house, with the owner's permission, of course.

The episode I watched showed how easily the crook got into the house with a foaming Rottweiler ready to tear his head off. A couple of quick moves and maybe a scooby snack and the crook was inside with the pooch now locked outside on the deck. The crook then commenced to ransacking the house and stealing everything he wanted. Aside from noise from the barking, there was little to distract the crook or attract attention.

I think there's a good lesson there. While I don't think anyone is really saying anything different, a good point is that dogs can serve their purpose very well, but they are not the Holy Grail of home defense. And they certainly cannot replace good old fashioned, common sense security measures. They might keep the half-stoned meth addict away, but I feel determined, experience, professional burglars will only be slowed down and slightly inconvenienced by a dog- if you have something they want.

When it comes to home invasions, obviously the right dog is indispensable in subduing or at least distracting the assailant long enough to dispatch the mofo.

YMMV.

Agreed. And for a new, sickening twist I haven't seen considered yet:

Now that we are getting such a large population of criminals from south of the border, I expect we are going to see them bring a favorite Latin American pastime with them: Dog poisoning. Poisoning dogs is so common in many Latin American countries that they not only have a common name for the delivery device: bocado, or "mouthful", but single-serving packets (like a sugar packet) of dog poison are sold in markets. A popular brand is "El Asesino" (The assassin), sold in convenient paper packages. It is not beyond the pale to think that these packets of poison might be making their way northward with their users.

A bocado is usually a meatball mixed with your poison of choice and thrown into the target's yard. The poisons are so potent that typically the targeted animal will be down and painfully dying in minutes.

Don't have the balls to do it yourself? Hire a mataperro (dog killer) (which, funnily enough, is also the nickname for the front bumper of an SUV.) and he'll do it for you.

As a result of the infiltration of Latin American criminals into the country, I would train your dog (I am working on it with mine) to NEVER eat anything unless it is in his food bowl.

Watch for signs of poisoning and take the dog to a vet IMMEDIATELY if you suspect something is off-kilter. Many poisons can be counteracted, but SPEED is critical.

kry226
07-20-10, 08:15
Agreed. And for a new, sickening twist I haven't seen considered yet:

Now that we are getting such a large population of criminals from south of the border, I expect we are going to see them bring a favorite Latin American pastime with them: Dog poisoning. Poisoning dogs is so common in many Latin American countries that they not only have a common name for the delivery device: bocado, or "mouthful", but single-serving packets (like a sugar packet) of dog poison are sold in markets. A popular brand is "El Asesino" (The assassin), sold in convenient paper packages. It is not beyond the pale to think that these packets of poison might be making their way northward with their users.

A bocado is usually a meatball mixed with your poison of choice and thrown into the target's yard. The poisons are so potent that typically the targeted animal will be down and painfully dying in minutes.

Don't have the balls to do it yourself? Hire a mataperro (dog killer) (which, funnily enough, is also the nickname for the front bumper of an SUV.) and he'll do it for you.

As a result of the infiltration of Latin American criminals into the country, I would train your dog (I am working on it with mine) to NEVER eat anything unless it is in his food bowl.

Watch for signs of poisoning and take the dog to a vet IMMEDIATELY if you suspect something is off-kilter. Many poisons can be counteracted, but SPEED is critical.

Wow. It's simplicity, however, makes you wonder why we haven't seen more of that already.

QuietShootr
07-20-10, 08:28
Wow. It's simplicity, however, makes you wonder why we haven't seen more of that already.

My theory on that is that most (but by no means all) American scumbags have advanced sufficiently past the Paleolithic that they don't want to hurt animals unnecessarily - whereas in LATAM poisoning a dog that's bothering you is no more a moral dilemma than spraying a cockroach with Raid.

Another fun cultural thing we can learn from the Turd World.

standsalone
07-20-10, 08:39
living here in the SF Bat area you see and read a lot about home invasions. and that is why I have three dogs , who are not scolded when they bark at the door should somebody knock or ring the door bell. That is also why there are two guns ready (right now a delta elite since both my .45's are at the gunsmith getting perfect and a 18.25" 10ga loaded with #4 shot) in the bedroom and several carbines and a slicked up 590A1 stashed around the house in strategic locations. all the weapons have extra ammo stored with them . I also spend time talking to my family about safety issues and my wife is experienced with every gun in the house except my new AK , but I will remedy that this coming weekend.
After she had tested the 10ga she admitted it wasn't as much fun to shoot as I said it was but she also wasn't deterred. with 54 pellets per tube it's as nasty as carpet bombs...
I would feel bad for any would be invader here.

kry226
07-20-10, 09:52
My theory on that is that most (but by no means all) American scumbags have advanced sufficiently past the Paleolithic that they don't want to hurt animals unnecessarily - whereas in LATAM poisoning a dog that's bothering you is no more a moral dilemma than spraying a cockroach with Raid.

Another fun cultural thing we can learn from the Turd World.

Which is additionally interesting as they would put a bullet in a human being in a heart beat. Sounds kind of like some PETA types, actually.

QuietShootr
07-20-10, 09:59
Which is additionally interesting as they would put a bullet in a human being in a heart beat. Sounds kind of like some PETA types, actually.

I am FAR from a PETA-type, and I would avoid unnecessarily injuring an animal. Animals are largely innocent (certain specific ones notwithstanding) and cannot be logically blamed for their behaviors - whereas people have a choice to act like scumbags or not.

Example: you are about to raid a meth manufacturing facility. There are dogs outside, as well as a sentry. You shoot the dogs if you HAVE to (solving the problem some other way if you safely can), but you feel bad about it. You shoot the sentry if it's necessary, but you don't feel a bit bad about it because HE made the choice to associate with dipshits.

In my mind, anyway, that makes logical sense.

kry226
07-20-10, 10:18
I am FAR from a PETA-type, and I would avoid unnecessarily injuring an animal. Animals are largely innocent (certain specific ones notwithstanding) and cannot be logically blamed for their behaviors - whereas people have a choice to act like scumbags or not.

Example: you are about to raid a meth manufacturing facility. There are dogs outside, as well as a sentry. You shoot the dogs if you HAVE to (solving the problem some other way if you safely can), but you feel bad about it. You shoot the sentry if it's necessary, but you don't feel a bit bad about it because HE made the choice to associate with dipshits.

In my mind, anyway, that makes logical sense.

No, no, I'm definitely with you. Makes sense. I am anti-PETA, and still wouldn't hurt an animal unnecessarily, although I do hunt and eat what I kill. But these folks often times value animal life above human life. To me that's wrong and not what God intended. Can you guess how many death threats that young Marine got for throwing that puppy off the cliff in the CENTCOM AOR a few years back?

Bit I digress and am getting off topic. :nono:

Back to the home invasion discussion.

cqbdriver
07-29-10, 05:39
Not an home invasion, but interesting: Neighbor had guy come to his door in the middle of the day (3 other guys in a truck in the driveway). Neighbor said that the guy was surprised when he answered the door. The guy said that he was looking for “Joe.” Neighbor said that there is no Joe living here & the guy left.

My neighbor said the surprising thing is that this in the same guy that robbed his house 2 yrs ago & was sentenced to 6 yrs in jail.

I have watched security cam videos& read accounts of home invasions. In many of them, they were in the house in seconds. I have reinforced all my entrances to the house. It might not stop them completely, but I hope that it will slow them down enough to give me more time to react. I was surprised (not really that surprised) to find that my front door dead bolt was secured to less than 1” pine wood frame.

500grains
07-29-10, 09:43
Some points:

1. Loaded guns hidden in strategic locations throughout the house.

2. Assume every noise outside is a home invasion about to happen. It takes just a couple of seconds to pick up a handgun and have it in your hand behind your back before approaching the door.

3. Ask who it is before opening the door. Duh!

4. Have a plan prepared and practiced for all family members to follow if a home invasion occurs. Practice the plan.

5. Before the home invaders ever arrive, you need to make an ADVANCE DECISION about when you will pull the trigger. If you have not decided in advance, then you will hesitate at the crucial moment.

6. Here in Utah the law is that you can use deadly force to terminate any forcible felony, such as burglary, etc. As soon as the guy kicks in the front door, you are justified in shooting to kill. The law on this differs from state to state.

Cascades236
07-30-10, 02:45
In my experience (cop) knock, knock, knock, go around back and breach burglaries are very real during the day time.

If you're too lazy to answer the door or just don't want to, yell go away or bark like a big mean dog :) Let the scout know you're home. I also like the idea of reinforcing entry points as it buys precious seconds because action beats reaction and when someone suddenly starts putting boot to the door you're already reacting.

NMBigfoot02
07-30-10, 08:43
In my experience (cop) knock, knock, knock, go around back and breach burglaries are very real during the day time.

If you're too lazy to answer the door or just don't want to, yell go away or bark like a big mean dog :) Let the scout know you're home. I also like the idea of reinforcing entry points as it buys precious seconds because action beats reaction and when someone suddenly starts putting boot to the door you're already reacting.

Another idea to play mind games with the thief: tack a small laminated card to the front of the door saying something to the effect of: "Knock all you want. We don't answer the door." That can help plant the seed of doubt that someone might be home and not worth the trouble, even if the opposite is true.

TommyG
08-02-10, 20:30
I have been fortunate enough to work from home for the last few years. I am amazed at the cross section of humanity that shows up at the door throughout the day. It is crazy how often I answer a knock at the door (I have to run and see who it is because UPS brings me work almost daily) and it is some random goof or another. I always carry or have a firearm handy in the home or on our property.

QuadBomb
08-03-10, 12:44
If someone knocks claiming to be the police, it'd be a good idea to call the department and ask them if they sent anyone to your address. Bad guys have dressed as cops before.