PDA

View Full Version : G19 threaded barrel carry

Thorkind
07-03-10, 01:18
Hi Gents,

Long time lurker. I'm getting a new G19 shortly but have the choice between the standard barrel and a Glock threaded barrel. I've carried a stock standard G19 for the last 13 years comfortably. The weapon will be used for EDC. Does anyone have any input as to the suitability of this variant for the aforementioned task? Does it rip clothing or get in the way at all? Also with an added thread protector, will it limit holster options in any way? I currently use a Comp-tac Shirt Tucker. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gordon

Complication
07-03-10, 09:36
Also with an added thread protector, will it limit holster options in any way? I currently use a Comp-tac Shirt Tucker. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The threaded barrel should only be an issue with holsters that are closed on the bottom (though I've never tried holstering a threaded G19 in my open-bottom holster). Many leather holsters I've seen are open (my Galco Summer Comfort is, as an example), but I imagine kydex is going to be more of an issue. I know Raven Concealment offers cuts for threaded barrels but I also believe there are open-bottom kydex holsters as well.

So it will limit your options somewhat, but you should still be able to find a good IWB holster that will carry it fine.

Does anyone have any input as to the suitability of this variant for the aforementioned task?

Perhaps you can elaborate on why you think you want a threaded barrel. If it's for EDC, you're not going to be toting around a suppressor. If you want to be able to shoot suppressed at the range or for HD, why don't you use your stock G19 for carrying and buy a threaded gun for times when you're not really as worried about good holster selection? Can you buy just a threaded barrel? If so, buy the barrel and swap them out when you want to have some fun with the suppressor?

Unless you've only got a single gun, I don't see the need for a threaded barrel for EDC. Maybe I'm missing something, though.

ikor
07-03-10, 14:22
Gordon is in South Africa and is a friend. I am here in the states but spend about half of each year in SA. Barrels are serial numbered and considered 'controlled' parts there, so he will likely have only one shot at another barrel being licensed for his G19 after all the paperwork and BS.

Suppressors are easy to get and not a big deal in SA FYI, but this is Gordon's primary CCW as well. I think he is using an MTAC but stand to correction if that is wrong.

Rider79
07-03-10, 14:43
I have a Raven Concealment systems holster for my G19 with a threaded barrel, I love it. I had trouble fitting kydex holsters for my S&W SpecOps M&P9 with threaded barrel because the barrel was getting caught in the opening at the bottom of the holster. Solved them problem by opening the gap with a Dremel. Works great now, and its holding me over til my Raven holster gets here for it.

LOKNLOD
07-03-10, 18:04
Given the further info from ikor I'd say there's no issue carrying with the threaded barrel as long as the holster will accomodate it or is easily modded to fit.

trio
07-04-10, 01:28
i carry my G19 with a threaded barrel all the time....honestly, I have an RCS holster for a G17, and the G19 with the threaded barrel fits in it just fine...

I also carry openly when at work in a Safariland RCS holster, and the G19 with the threaded barrel fits in that fine as well

Thorkind
07-05-10, 02:39
ikor, thanks for elaborating on the barrel licencing issues we have down here in SA. The attraction of a longer barrel and versatility is what prompted me to ask about it. I have however decided to keep it stock standard purely because it's served me well for a very long time. The more I think about it, the less change is necessary. Thanks for the input gentlemen. Much appreciated.