PDA

View Full Version : First HK45, some help plz!

xamoel
07-03-10, 02:00
hey guys,

i'm ordering my first HK45 soon, with the factory threaded barrel.
Now i'm looking for a tall tritium sight, that can be used with a silencer, as a replacement for the factory sights. Which manufacturers produce tall sights for the HK45?

My second question: which parts of the HK45 will ever need replacement? I've heard about the O-ring, but which other replacements might be necessary?
Or is there anything you would recommend in order to increase the reliability or function of the HK45?

My last question: how probable do you think it is that HK releases a "L" version of the HK45, like the P30 "L"?

happy posting!

loupav
07-03-10, 02:21
Congrats on purchasing one of the greatest 45's on the market. I'm sure it will serve you well.

http://www.heinie.com/product_info.php?cPath=9_15&products_id=177

In case you're wondering, I sent my slide to them and they returned the slide to me that same week and they did an excellent job.

Other than the o-ring I can't think of any parts that need replacing. No clue on the "L" Back strap.

xamoel
07-03-10, 02:36
i've heard about heinie, how do you like the eight-sight picture? so far i'm only used to the standard three-dot-sights.

and do you have to send your slide to them? as i'm from europe, that might be hard to do!

Lucky Strike
07-03-10, 08:47
You can just order the sights themselves and then find a gunsmith to put them on. Although some countries don't allow import/export of tritium (which is why HK ships the guns to the US with the non-tritium night sights).

I've got Heinie straight 8's on all my semi-autos and really like the sight picture.....very quick to align sights in low light

xamoel
07-03-10, 09:20
good to know i can just order them right away!

what do you think about the manufacturing quality of the Heinies, as i read the following in another thread:

Originally Posted by Hunter Rose
Out of curiosity where did your research give you reports that rust is common on HE treated USP slides? Just wondering because I haven't seen that as a complaint, usually it's that the black portion of the finish wears quickly and silver steel shows through.

My sample of 3 USPs have been very corrosion resistant. The Heinie sights w/ QWIK cut are another story entirely.

is there anything wrong with the corrosion resistance of the sights? :confused:

any other tritium sight manufacturer, that will work on a suppresed HK45?

Lucky Strike
07-03-10, 09:58
I haven't had any corrosion issues with my heinie sights....although I don't live in a humid area.

PattayaPistol
07-03-10, 10:11
I live in Thailand which is noted as being pretty humid. I have Heinie Straight Eights on my P30 and have not noticed any corrosion issues at all with these sights. Also I really like the ease of acquisition of the front sight.

Cheers
PP

xamoel
07-03-10, 15:30
btw the straigt 8s do have white outlines around the tritium don't they?

PattayaPistol
07-03-10, 18:48
btw the straigt 8s do have white outlines around the tritium don't they?

No, unfortunately no painted ring.

Cheers
PP

dfjaws
07-03-10, 21:36
Beside the O ring after awhile, you should be good to go!

Mjolnir
07-04-10, 00:29
Nothing should require immediate attention but several things are nice to have on hand:

Firing Pin Assembly
Extractor Assembly
Trigger Return Spring
Recoil Assembly Spring

HK should have these parts in stock.

xamoel
07-04-10, 01:42
thanks for all your input!

@ hunter rose: do you remember what year you bought them? hopefully the problem is resolved by now!

i thought i once saw a similiar looking sight like Heinies, but with white rings around the tritium, no idea how made them though...

i got trijicon night sights on my shotgun, and i really like the good contrast during the day. too bad that's not available for the Heinies.