PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable handgun windage adjustment

orionz06
07-03-10, 11:24
I just got a new set of night sights installed on my carry gun and I was curious as to what range should I stop trying to nitpick and accept the zero. I am able to take it out to 20 yards and cut a line up the target, should I test it at 25-30 (or longer) or accept it as is? At what point am I reaching the point of diminishing returns? More so, what do the gunsmiths here do when they install?

Robb Jensen
07-03-10, 11:27
25-50yds. Sandbag the gun and if you're getting POA/POI at 50yds anything closer is going to be dead nuts on.

kmrtnsn
07-03-10, 11:27
Low, high, left , right; what is the problem? How far off are they? I recommend you shoot it from a rest at 25 and see just where they are at, then get them pushed appropriately.

orionz06
07-03-10, 11:28
No problem, I was just wondering at what point should I stop trying to perfect it. I have a tendency to over analyze things and was looking for advice.

07-03-10, 17:12
I was wondering about this too.

For an AR15, it's fairly easy: 50/200 IBSZ or RBSZ.

But no such standard exists for pistols. For target shooting at 50 meters, it's obvious, but not for service pistols.

kmrtnsn
07-03-10, 18:18
At pistol ranges, point of aim should equal pretty close to point of impact. If you aren't getting this result from a rest when checking sights; fix it.

TiroFijo
07-03-10, 18:18
For me:

I like dead on on windage, and 0 to 1.0" high at 25 m. Shooting offhand, not rested...

VirginiaTactical
07-03-10, 18:29
25-50yds. Sandbag the gun and if you're getting POA/POI at 50yds anything closer is going to be dead nuts on.

+1

You want POA/POI on a handgun for sure. If you can't get a sandbag just use your range bag, do whatever you have can to make the gun steady as possible and get a good zero at 50yds. Then get another shooter who is spot on to see how he shoots. If he is pretty close to were the gun zerod then it is fine. Don't adjust the sights to another shooter, but it never hurts to get another opinion.

Make sure the 2nd opinion is a guy that can shoot better or at your level!

SWATcop556
07-03-10, 18:33
25-50 yards with more of a focus on 25 yards. You need to consider how you would be deploying the pistol. Even with experienced shooters a high stress shot past 25 yards is more of a liability than not taking a shot (mist of the time). If you can get good hits at 50 yards from a rest then I wouldn't worry. If you're shooting past that (other than for fun) you should have a rifle or should have run to begin with. :cool:

orionz06
07-03-10, 21:01
I suppose "zero" was not quite the word I should have used. I was concerned with more like where should I stop shooting, and where do others stop. 25 yards for sure. I will probably throw a few more out towards 40-50 just to be safe, and get a second opinion. The thing that bothers me with pistol sights is that there are no clicks of the detent to go back to. It is not voodoo, but it seems to be some magic at times to get it right when sliding the sight very little to tweak.

VirginiaTactical
07-04-10, 04:38
I suppose "zero" was not quite the word I should have used. I was concerned with more like where should I stop shooting, and where do others stop. 25 yards for sure. I will probably throw a few more out towards 40-50 just to be safe, and get a second opinion. The thing that bothers me with pistol sights is that there are no clicks of the detent to go back to. It is not voodoo, but it seems to be some magic at times to get it right when sliding the sight very little to tweak.

do you have dial calipers? I measure my sights out to the .001 of an inch and make sure they are dead even when I put them on using dial calipers. I rarely have to make a correction with my sight tool after this.

orionz06
07-04-10, 07:58
do you have dial calipers? I measure my sights out to the .001 of an inch and make sure they are dead even when I put them on using dial calipers. I rarely have to make a correction with my sight tool after this.

I sure do and I already did, this goes back to my over analytical mind.

TEXAS_GLOCKER
07-04-10, 08:26
I got some warrens for my Glocks. So if i measure the sights and the slide, and get them dead center they should be gtg yes?

Dos Cylindros
07-04-10, 12:53
I got some warrens for my Glocks. So if i measure the sights and the slide, and get them dead center they should be gtg yes?

In theory, but everyone "sees" sights differently. Some people, due to a vision problem, body mechanics or other reason may have to drift the sights to the right ot left a little more than perfectally centered. This is normal, and assuming you are doing it for reasons other than your technique is flawed, it's okay.

VirginiaTactical
07-04-10, 14:26
In theory, but everyone "sees" sights differently. Some people, due to a vision problem, body mechanics or other reason may have to drift the sights to the right ot left a little more than perfectally centered. This is normal, and assuming you are doing it for reasons other than your technique is flawed, it's okay.

+1 what he said

Chuck
07-04-10, 18:07
230gr ball intersects at 10yds and again at 25yds.
I like to be able to place a bullet hole on top of the sight at 10yds,
and place another shot in that same hole.

Dos Cylindros
07-04-10, 20:34
230gr ball intersects at 10yds and again at 25yds.
I like to be able to place a bullet hole on top of the sight at 10yds,
and place another shot in that same hole.

Well that is a little tid bit I didn't know, thanks Chuck.

cz7
07-04-10, 20:51
ok its a handgun! its not a rifle but if too low or high a zero mark you may miss critical shot placement so 50 yds dead on maybe app. 1/2'' low at 25 yds depending on sight height to bore center --yes math time again....

orionz06
07-04-10, 20:55
Ok guys, I edited the title to indicate my question better. Most of us run driftable sights only, so I was asking where to stop in terms of acceptable.

I got out tonight and am happy out to 20 yards or so, but my head is playing tricks with me. I cannot do anything beyond 25 with them, but using my bone stock gun I can. I am meeting up with another M4C member tomorrow to do some shooting so hopefully a second head in the game will allow me to get it sorted out.

arizonaranchman
07-05-10, 13:25
Realistically 95+% of gunfights are at 20' or less so a gun that's dead-on out to 20 yards is just fine IMHO. I don't even use sights at under 7 yards or so myself - it's all point shooting.

Now if for some reason your environment would have you actually engaging bad guys at long ranges like that then I would set the sights for the LONG range and not worry about the shorter ranges - again point shooting. You're not gonna look at your sights when up very close and you have someone blazing rounds at you as fast as they can fire.