PDA

View Full Version : Medium-long range HF shot - successful!

QuietShootr
07-03-10, 23:15
I'll post this in a non-stickied thread too, but my partner in long range commo and I achieved a new personal best tonight -

What in the old days would have been called a full mission profile:
Using a prearranged SOI and sked, and from a PORTABLE setup on both ends (me with a quickly-rigged 20m dipole about 20' above the ground on an azimuth of 000, running off a marine battery and a cheater cable sitting in the scrum by the side of a lake, him with an HMMWV mounted rig using a hastily constructed 20m dipole)....

we achieved a first shot HF connect on 20m from somewhere in central indiana to somewhere in Northern Utah (exact location known but redacted). Straight line distance 1,575 miles as the radio wave flies. Exchanged signal reports and sitreps, good wishes, and signed off....thereby proving with our setup that HF commo can be achieved with no support structure out to almost 1600 miles.

High Desert
07-12-10, 10:44
Thanks for the posts on your tests. Comm gear is this winters project after all the canning and dehydrating is done. Most of my contacts are within 50 miles but two of them are out 450-500 miles.

Thanks again,
HD