PDA

View Full Version : New rifle, and eternal thanks

Matthew
07-04-10, 11:49
I've been poring over these forums for months, and while I own multiple firearms, I haven't had an AR since my AWB-era Bushmaster (never liked that rifle).

To get back into the swing of things, and making use of the famous chart and general statements/observations about the various attributes of AR manufacturers, I just picked up a new Colt 6940.

I'm sure there are quite a few people who think I should have purchased something else, or assembled one, but I'm very happy with the purchase.

Every moving part glides, the fit and finish is terrific, the 6 o'clock rail has no wobble in it (as some reviews have mentioned), the selector switch is smooth without the grittiness that came included at no extra charge with my old Bushmaster. The trigger feels very similar to my Sig 556's when it breaks, having a tad more creep. (556 is far from perfect, but has an excellent stock trigger)

After an initial cleaning, took it to the range and ran through 200 trouble-free rounds of XM193. Iron sights good to go out of the box at 100 yards.

In the next few weeks, I'll add a light, RDS and a new stock.

(For those interested, I paid $1410 total at Precision Armaments in Slatington, PA. The owner, Charlie, is a great guy, a gunsmith who also manufactures AK's and custom bolt rifles, and will never nickel and dime you over things others want to charge for, like ripping out my G19's staked, dead tritium front sight and installing the new one I brought at no charge, or giving someone a small but critical part he has in the shop for virtually nothing)

Now, the vastly more important stuff...

In the spirit of today, our nation's Independence Day, I am eternally grateful to our veterans, past present and future for their service, their patriotism, and their sacrifice. So that their efforts throughout the centuries are not in vain, we as a people must get our country back on the right path, and to that end, I leave you with the following quote:

Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations, that we have forgotten, as a people, the cost of a free and undivided Republic. ~John A. Logan

Frens
07-04-10, 11:57
Congrats on your new AR!
but where're the pics?? :p

Matthew
07-04-10, 12:23
Congrats on your new AR!
but where're the pics?? :p

Thanks, Frens. Frankly, I figured no one would be interested in seeing the rifle, as it's completely stock. I'll gladly take some pictures and post them as soon as I can.

musicman10_1
07-04-10, 20:35
Congrats on the gun. I picked up a 6940 within the last month too - I must say you did great on price.

Pappabear
07-05-10, 00:34
6940 is a great gun. Lot of good guns out there, but its a Colt, and that means something.