PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a glock, a few questions....

drummerdude1188
07-05-10, 22:36
I am considering getting my first glock, (9mm either g17 or g19) should I get gen 4 or are there any advantages to getting a gen 3? Ive done some reading and I have read of some malfunctions with the new guns, but dont know enough to make a discussion, help me out guys, thanks.

eo500
07-06-10, 00:45
I have a Gen. 3 Glock 19, it has about 1500 rounds through it with zero malfunctions. I absolutely love this gun. If the Gen 3 fits your hand and feels good, I don't think you can go wrong. I personally don't need the latest and greatest of everything as soon as it comes out. I'd rather let the impatient people work out the bugs and buy something that I know will work.

7.62X54R
07-06-10, 03:03
Ive had a Gen2 and Gen3 Glock 19 Ive never had a problem with them. As far as the Gen4 not sure as i dont really see an advantage other than the interchangeable back straps. I say buy whats proven Gen 3

SWATcop556
07-06-10, 06:36
The Gen4 Glocks feel very nice especially since I have smaller hands (size 8 flight glove) but not nice enough that I'm running out and selling my Gen3's either. When they've had a chance to work what very few glitches they've run into I'll add a few to the stable. I don't see them as truly necessary (other than the option for the smaller frame) for the 9mm guns but they are a huge improvement in 40 cal.

M4arc
07-06-10, 07:03
Honestly if I didn't own any Glocks and was looking to purchase my first (or possibly only) Glock I would definitely get a Gen3 G19 RTF (with normal slide serrations, not the fish scales).

The grip texture is the best I've felt on a Glock and all you'd need to do is add a Vickers Mag Release and some good quality sights and you'd be good to go.

Zach
07-07-10, 09:00
Honestly if I didn't own any Glocks and was looking to purchase my first (or possibly only) Glock I would definitely get a Gen3 G19 RTF (with normal slide serrations, not the fish scales).

The grip texture is the best I've felt on a Glock and all you'd need to do is add a Vickers Mag Release and some good quality sights and you'd be good to go.

Same setup here + extended slide stop.

The Gen3 RTF texture might feel a bit to much first but the "spikes" tend to dullen a bit with use. You'll be happy with it.

C4IGrant
07-07-10, 09:05

I think this is the best setup to go with currently.

C4

Sparky5019
07-07-10, 09:19
I have a Gen 3 G22 and G23 in the RTF and I love them...I agree about the fish gills...not a great idea but the frames are geat and there are more accessory options for the Gen 3! Good luck!

Sparky

Palmguy
07-07-10, 09:52
Same setup here + extended slide stop.

The Gen3 RTF texture might feel a bit to much first but the "spikes" tend to dullen a bit with use. You'll be happy with it.

Same here as well...I very lightly used sandpaper to take the edge off of the "spikes"; it's great now.

SHIVAN
07-07-10, 10:02
I vote 3rd generation G17. I'm a little leery of the current Gen 4 "solutions", and don't really like the look of the fishscales.

dvdlpzus
07-07-10, 10:52
I have a G19 RTF2 with 3.5 connector, NY1 Olive, extended slide release and meprolight sights and I love it. I don't think a Gen 4 will offer anything more than the interchangeable backstraps.

Littlelebowski
07-07-10, 11:15
I have a G19 RTF2 with 3.5 connector, NY1 Olive, extended slide release and meprolight sights and I love it. I don't think a Gen 4 will offer anything more than the interchangeable backstraps.

And the superior mag release.

orionz06
07-07-10, 11:37
Despite having sold my Glock, I dont think you will find anyone here that will tell you not to get one. You cant argue with their performance. My vote is for a Gen 3 RTF.

HK45
07-07-10, 23:18
The Glock Gen 4 offers adjustable backstrap, less grip angle with no backstrap, flatter shooting, lower recoil, reversible oversized mag release, ambi mag release, slightly more accurate, beveled mag well, RTF "3" texture, three mags. Other than that, yeah, no difference... Problems are way overblown and most of the people talking about them don't have a Gen 4 Glock.
Having said that, if you were my best friend and asked me this question? I'd say an RTF 2 Glock 19 because I know you wouldn't come back to me later complaining.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/P220SAO/IMGP2479.jpg

SHIVAN
07-07-10, 23:56
... and most of the people talking about them don't have a Gen 4 Glock...

Yep, in my case you're right. When I am leery of something, I tend to hold off buying it. Though, Glock is releasing an updated recoil spring setup, which is the part that has me leery. So maybe my hesitation is warranted, maybe not.

Since the Gen3 is still available, I, like you, recommend it over the Gen4 -- to my best friend.

Apollo11
07-08-10, 00:00
The Glock Gen 4 offers adjustable backstrap, less grip angle with no backstrap, flatter shooting, lower recoil, reversible oversized mag release, ambi mag release, slightly more accurate, beveled mag well, RTF "3" texture, three mags. Other than that, yeah, no difference... Problems are way overblown and most of the people talking about them don't have a Gen 4 Glock.
Having said that, if you were my best friend and asked me this question? I'd say an RTF 2 Glock 19 because I know you wouldn't come back to me later complaining.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/P220SAO/IMGP2479.jpg

I would agree 100% with what everyone is saying about the RTF2
G19's. They are simply outstanding. Having said that the Gen4 looks good, but the grip is not nearly as nice, IMO, as the RTF2. I think the RTF2 grip is the PERFECTION Glock is always talking about;).

wl518
07-08-10, 00:06
I have a Gen 3 RTF2 and while the texture is really rough I love it. I was not a fan of the fish scales, but as time passed I don't even notice them anymore. I haven't had a single issue and its ate all sorts of ammo, Wolf/Federal/PMC/Blazer/RWS.

Just make sure to get a Vickers Extended Mag Release.

SWATcop556
07-08-10, 05:28
I'm trying like hell to find a Gen3 RTF2 G19 with the normal slide serrations but no joy. No one anywhere around here even has them and I can find one online. If I can snatch one up I'm looking at dropping my G17s from duty use as the G17 has always been a little on the big size for my hands.

drummerdude1188
07-08-10, 07:56
thanks for the responses guys, looks like ill go with gen3 when I get around to getting one. whats the difference between RTF and RTF2

MOJONIXON
07-08-10, 08:34
thanks for the responses guys, looks like ill go with gen3 when I get around to getting one. whats the difference between RTF and RTF2

I think the RTF is what is on the Gen4 models and the RTF2 is on the Gen3 models. The polymids/spikes on the RTF look to me like they are slightly bigger and not quite a pointy/sharp as the RTF2. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

outrider627
07-08-10, 08:43
I think the RTF is what is on the Gen4 models and the RTF2 is on the Gen3 models. The polymids/spikes on the RTF look to me like they are slightly bigger and not quite a pointy/sharp as the RTF2. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

RTF is the official name for the regular Glock grip texture. RTF2 is the grip texture thats in the Glock 19 posted earlier. The early ones came with the fish gill slide serrations but those were really unpopular, so now RTF2 models have the regular vertical serrations. People complained that RTF2 was too rough on the hands and on clothes when being carried, so Glock made the RTF3 for the Gen 4s. It has less pyramids on the grip, and they are bigger in size. Here's a pic.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/9728/glockrtf.jpg

djegators
07-08-10, 08:57
My personal preference is for the Gen 3 GLOCKS. Not crazy about the RTF, and don't have a need for the adjustable grips. Its really a matter of what works for you, they all go bang.

cathellsk
07-08-10, 10:20
I'm trying like hell to find a Gen3 RTF2 G19 with the normal slide serrations but no joy. No one anywhere around here even has them and I can find one online. If I can snatch one up I'm looking at dropping my G17s from duty use as the G17 has always been a little on the big size for my hands.

http://www.edspublicsafety.com/glockindividual.html
They posted on their Facebook page that Gen3 RTF2 G19s with standard serrations just came in a week or so ago. I'm also thinking of getting one. These guys are good to go also, have a damn good rep.

CougarBlue
07-08-10, 10:45
Yep, in my case you're right. When I am leery of something, I tend to hold off buying it. Though, Glock is releasing an updated recoil spring setup, which is the part that has me leery. So maybe my hesitation is warranted, maybe not.

Since the Gen3 is still available, I, like you, recommend it over the Gen4 -- to my best friend.

I was in Glockmeister's this weekend and they said that they had seen so many problems with the recoil spring that they when they sell the Gen4 17's that they HIGHLY recommend replacing the guide rod and recoil spring.

They seemed pretty jazzed about changes that Glock was going to make for the 9mm's recoil spring assembly.

I take their workaround suggestion with a grain of salt since they are selling the recoil springs, but they have their noses in Glocks far more often than I ever will.

I'm a huge fan of the Gen3 Glocks sans RTF.

SWATcop556
07-08-10, 13:19
http://www.edspublicsafety.com/glockindividual.html
They posted on their Facebook page that Gen3 RTF2 G19s with standard serrations just came in a week or so ago. I'm also thinking of getting one. These guys are good to go also, have a damn good rep.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to give them a call.

M4arc
07-08-10, 13:30
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to give them a call.

Contact GotM4. He has one sitting in the shop right now.

HK45
07-09-10, 01:12
I was in Glockmeister's this weekend and they said that they had seen so many problems with the recoil spring that they when they sell the Gen4 17's that they HIGHLY recommend replacing the guide rod and recoil spring.

Thats news to me and I have bought three G4 17's from them. They also know I have had no issues with over 15,000 rounds through three Gen 4 17's. I think it's pretty silly for them to recommend changing the spring out of the box so I would suspect sales as the motive. They don't strike me as big shooters btw.

ColdDeadHands
07-09-10, 07:53

Did you look at the High Caliber Gun Show in Houston or Pasadena? The last time I was there they had plenty. Just make sure you get there close to opening at Saturday.