PDA

View Full Version : Rifle or Ammo problem?

RancidSumo
07-05-10, 22:44
My dad recently bought a Ruger Mini-14 Target. We took it out to shoot for what was really the first time he had shot it this weekend out prairie dog hunting. It was actually pretty accurate (basically one hole at 50yds and about an inch at 100 ignoring the flier) but the following happened four times-

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn285/RancidSumo/SplitCase.jpg

My question to all of you is, would it be the rifle or the ammo causing this. They all split in about the same place but the first three times, when it attempted to chamber another round the new round would wedge itself in the front half of the other and pull it out when we pulled out the new cartridge. The fourth time that did not happen and now the front half of a case is stuck in the rifle chamber.

These were all factory reloads bought in a 250rd pack from Sportsman's Warehouse I believe. I do not know the brand but I'll find out soon and let you all know if that is needed (they came in a blue box if that helps determine it).

My thought at first was that it had to be the ammo but for it to split four times in the same spot, it sounds like a rifle problem. Additionally, the rifle was denting all of the cases when ejecting and ejected them with enough force to crack the windshield of my dad's jeep four times before we saw what was happening and stopped shooting from the car with it.

Thanks for any help.

ralph
07-06-10, 09:36
What do the primers on the cases look like? Flattened? Bulged? The fact they're reloads would make me suspect the ammo first,God only knows where they got the brass, and what it was used in first, The mini-14 has a rather healthy ejection, I have a friend who has one and it typically flings emptys over 25'.. You could check the headspace yourself if you have the gages..The bolts on a mini-14 disassemble like a M1 Garand's bolt, you want to use a stripped bolt to check headspace. If this is a brand new rifle, I would'nt think the bolt would close on a no-go gage..It should not close on a field reject gage.if it does call Ruger and don't shoot it..

RancidSumo
07-06-10, 10:18
I'll see if I can find the case and look at the primer, I lost it somewhere:o. What made me suspect the rifle was that every case broke in the same spot.

5pins
07-06-10, 13:06
I would try two boxes of new factory ammo and see what happens. If the same thing happens than call Ruger, if not then it’s the ammo.

SkiDevil
07-06-10, 22:52
My dad recently bought a Ruger Mini-14 Target. but the following happened four times-

My question to all of you is, would it be the rifle or the ammo causing this. They all split in about the same place but the first three times, when it attempted to chamber another round the new round would wedge itself in the front half of the other and pull it out when we pulled out the new cartridge. The fourth time that did not happen and now the front half of a case is stuck in the rifle chamber.

These were all factory reloads bought in a 250rd pack from Sportsman's Warehouse I believe.

My thought at first was that it had to be the ammo but for it to split four times in the same spot, it sounds like a rifle problem. Additionally, the rifle was denting all of the cases when ejecting and ejected them with enough force to crack the windshield of my dad's jeep four times before we saw what was happening and stopped shooting from the car with it.

Thanks for any help.

I would try two boxes of new factory ammo and see what happens. If the same thing happens than call Ruger, if not then it’s the ammo.

I would have to agree with 5Spins.

If the rifle is operable, and presuming that you were able to clear the last cartridge/ brass case. Then, try a different brand of ammo.

I have owned several Mini-Series rifles in the past and I have had the best success with Winchester/ Federal .223 ammo. Yes, it is normal for the Ranch style rifles to kick brass-out with tremendous force. I have hit many other shooters with my brass far down the firing line with mine!:eek:

[BTW, a silly question but was the ammo .223 Remington or 5.56?]

If the different brand of ammo does not work or you weren't able to clear the remaining brass/ round from the rifle, contact Ruger directly. They used to have excellent customer service, I doubt that has changed. If I recall correctly, the factory service center for the Mini rifles is in AZ.

I always thought the Mini-Series rifles were nice little guns, especially the 7.62X39 Mini-30. An excellent brush rifle.

Best of Luck,

SkiDevil

P.S. My amatuer guess on the split cases is there may be some type of burr/ irregularity in the chamber/ bore and the force of the operating rod/ action pulling on the head of the [stuck/ hung-up] brass case is causing the cartridge case to break in two.

But, most likely it is just out of spec./ faulty ammo loaded with cheap/ thin brass. Try different ammo and see what happens.

ra2bach
07-07-10, 14:59
with reloaded ammo I ALWAYS suspect the ammo first...