PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6724 WOW!!!

Crow Hunter
07-06-10, 08:30
I got a Colt 6724 weekend before last and I got the chance to go out and get it sighted in this weekend.

WOW....

Color me impressed.

I mounted an old Leupold Vari-XIII Tactical 4.5 X14 that I had on my old Browning Abolt Varmit got it all leveled and sighted it in at 50 yards. I was using Walmart Federal 50 gr Varmit 200 rd bulk pack.

Now granted, it is only 50 yards but I was putting them into the same holes. I thought there was something wrong after I had it zeroed, I moved down the the lower right side of the paper, pulled the trigger, aimed at the bullet hole and fired again. No change, fired a 3rd time, no change, fired a 4th time, no change. Well crap, am I missing the paper now completely? So I moved over about an inch and fired again, little bullet hole. So that got my curosity up, I went down to look at the target and saw the hole had tiny little petals on it. ;)

Man this rifle makes me look good. :D

My brother was there at the time, and I said, here take a couple of shots. Next words out of his mouth are "What model is this again and how much did you pay for it?"

Really looking forward to harvest when all the corn is out of the fields and the crows are down range!! :eek:

chavez_e_chavez
07-06-10, 09:07
no pics, it didnt happen...:D

glen
07-07-10, 10:55
Because you didn't post pics, I had to Google for it. :mad: :D

Good that your rifle is shooting well for you!

Now, along with the pics I saw a description of 1:9 twist...I wonder why so? :confused:

Crow Hunter
07-07-10, 11:42
I have read that alot of people shoot the 77 gr just fine in their 6724s. The 2 theories that I have heard are:

1. The 24" barrel allows the bullet to gain more speed and so increase the rotational speed so that it can stabilize the longer bullets.

2. It is a Kreiger barrel and their 1/9 is actually closer to 1/8.5

It really wasn't much of a problem for me. I will be using this rifle exclusively for punching paper/killing crows and I will most likely be using the lighter 50 gr varmit loads, although I might play around with some higher weight rounds for fun.

I was just really surprised using cheap Wal-mart bulk pack rounds I was getting such a repeatable performance irregardless of the number of rounds fired. I was not doing mag dumps but I was loading up 18 rounds and I would fire, look for the hole, fire another, look for the hole, and so on.

My old Browning Abolt would start to walk a little as it got hot and I would have to do alot of reloading/bolt manipulation to have that much fun.:D

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, I did keep a couple of the targets to bring to show my carpool partner to prove him wrong about POI shift and zoom. (You can't take a 18 to 32 power $100 gun show special scope mounted in see thru rings as proof that you can't change the power on your scope or your POI will change) :rolleyes:

I'll try to take pictures and post them tonight, if I can figure out how to do it.

glen
07-07-10, 20:11
Ah, so it's a Kreiger barrel. Anyway actual results are great and that is what matters anyway. :)

Pappabear
07-08-10, 02:37
Mine shoots Sub-Moa all day long with good ammo. I've seen them selling for $1,300 around town.

JStor
07-08-10, 21:01
Mine will stick five 60 gr. VMaxs into a .5 inch cluster at 100 yards and under two inches at 300 yards from a bipod. The load is 60 gr. VMax bullets, Winchester brass, CCI 400 primers and 26 grs. Win 748. Velocity is 3050 ft/sec. or so.