PDA

View Full Version : What loads does your M&P "like"

mkmckinley
07-06-10, 13:23
Just out of curiosity, what loads does your M&P shoot best with in a given caliber? I have a 9mm waiting for me when I get back stateside but I'm sure others could benefit from experiences with .40 and .45 loads to. What's most accurate? What's most reliable? Light and fast or heavy and slow?

arbninftry
07-06-10, 15:42
Mine eats the hell out of a warmer load.
230 FMJ Rainier bullets with 7.2 grains of SR4756.
Shoots really well.

Joeywhat
07-06-10, 15:47
Mine shoots everything I feed it. From high dollar SD ammo to cheap steel cased Russian.

If it decided to not like something it would probably be fixed or sold without much hesitation.

GermanSynergy
07-06-10, 16:12
My M&P 9's and M&P 9C all seem partial to Winchester NATO ball, but shoot fine with everything else.

JHC
07-06-10, 16:38
My Pro 9 doesn't really like anything. It's as reliable as rain. But for pure accuracy it has grouped any and all 115, 124 and 147 I've tried into the same 4-5"-ish groups at 25 yds from a rest.

From my reading around, especially on Brian Enos' board, this is not unusual with the 5" guns. Whereas better accuracy seems to be more commonly reported with the standar full size model, 4.25" I guess. Some guys theorize the 5" have rougher bores, some think the timing from lock up to unlock is funky. I've read of a few owners to tried Storm Lake replacement 5" barrels and saw little if any difference. That's got to be a clue.

If I were doing it over, I'd buy the standard full size vs the Pro.

PrivateCitizen
07-06-10, 16:45
Lawman 124gr FMJ is what I shoot the most lately, followed by Federal Maroon Wally boxes of 115gr FMJ.

For carry I vetted Winchester 124gr +p (RA9124TP).

The only failures I have experience is with some decade old reloads I picked up that just needed to be shot. They were probably weak loads.

2 Failure to go to battery. Slide smack did it, on we went.

crusader377
07-06-10, 18:40
I have found that my M&P likes everything except for Hungarian MFS 9mm which I bought from Cabela's. This ammo had very poor quality primers which the M&P had a hard time firing. My friend's glock also had alot of problems with it as well.

rjacobs
07-06-10, 19:07
my MP9 did not like the light loads that we tried in it(working up some reload's with a new powder). The cases were dribbling out and the slide was barley cycling and would not lock back on the last round.

It has shot every JHP I have fed through it(gold dots, HST, hydrashock, PDX, Golden Sabers, and probably a few others) as well as any and every factory load I have put through it. I think WWB is about the weakest factory load I have shot and it has shot tons and tons of it.

superr.stu
07-06-10, 19:27
My M&P 9fs eats everything I've put in it. In general it seems to favor faster loads. I must say that running 115g Fiocchi XTPHP feels downright magical.

Buckshot TX
07-06-10, 19:42
I have 3 9mm M&Ps & have yet to find anything they won't eat 100%

Naxet1959
07-06-10, 19:43
Just got my M&P9 today, thanks for the information!

Bubba FAL
07-07-10, 10:53
Neither of my M&P40s is finicky about what I feed them. I use 180gr Rangers for carry and have a FMJ load that duplicates the velocity of the Rangers for practice.

I have done the same for 165gr. Golden Sabres/FMJ practice.

WWB in both weights are a bit slower, but cycle without a problem.

Have not tried the lightweight loads in the .40 (135gr.), so can't comment on them.

JHC
07-07-10, 12:16
Just out of curiosity, what loads does your M&P shoot best with in a given caliber? I have a 9mm waiting for me when I get back stateside but I'm sure others could benefit from experiences with .40 and .45 loads to. What's most accurate? What's most reliable? Light and fast or heavy and slow?

Not much info out there on most accurate however.

07-07-10, 12:42
I have found that my M&P likes everything except for Hungarian MFS 9mm which I bought from Cabela's. This ammo had very poor quality primers which the M&P had a hard time firing. My friend's glock also had alot of problems with it as well.

I was at the range on the 4th. A guy with a SIG and some cheap Cabelas ammo was there printing groups that looked like a shotgun pattern. He was blaming the ammo and I was saying sure.... He switched ammo and his groups tightened up considerably.

citizensoldier16
07-07-10, 12:59
My M&P9c eats anything. My range ammo is usually Winchester target/range from Wally World and it seems to do just fine. Occasionally I'll shoot reloads from my stepdad. For defensive rounds I use Black Hills 124 gr JHPs.

ra2bach
07-07-10, 15:10
my M&P is like a laser with Speer 124gr+P GoldDots. this is a little expensive to practice with so it normally gets fed a diet of Blazer Brass which seem to shoot acceptably.

Bob RI
07-07-10, 16:18
My 9L eats everything but prints the tightest groups with 124 gold dots - it's one of the best shooting 9's I've owned.

JHC
07-07-10, 18:33
My 9L eats everything but prints the tightest groups with 124 gold dots - it's one of the best shooting 9's I've owned.

Now that's interesting. I have seen reports from other owners the platform prefers +P for best accuracy. Why that should be the case, I don't know.

RogerinTPA
07-07-10, 22:27
Like others have said, my 4 M&Ps (9, 9c, 40 and 45) haven't had any problems with various ammo. They do get a heavy diet of Wolf, Barnaul and Speer for training without issue.