PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for a good Gunsmith with experience on Colt DA revolvers

RAM Engineer
07-06-10, 16:45
I've got a certain project in mind and it will require the services of a good gunsmith with experience on Colt DA revolvers.

Job will involve at a minimum:
Barrel Swap
Trigger/Action/Reliability Work
Custom Sight work
Refinishing
lack of sentimentality about making changes to a perfectly good minty revolver.

Can anyone recommend a good 'smith for this? Anyone want to venture a guess as to what it is I'm thinking up?;)

Thanks,
Jason

cathellsk
07-06-10, 22:02
Fitz conversion on a New Service? I'd love to have one of those. Saw a factory Fitz conversion on a Dick Special, even had the factory letter stating the Sheriff it went to in KY in the early '40s. Price was steep, around $4K and it was in 98%+ condition.

Detmongo
07-07-10, 07:51
RAM,
cylinder & slide does work on da Colts or have you tried Colts custom shop.

halfcocked
07-07-10, 08:01
www.grantcunningham.com

Hmac
07-07-10, 08:06
+1 on Cylinder & Slide in Fremont, Nebraska. They've done really top notch custom work for me many times over the last 30 years. Found 'em when they were pretty new and I was living in Omaha. Downside the C&S is that it can be a l-o-n-g wait for custom work. You order the work, they'll let you know when to send it to them, but that can be 6 months. Once they get the gun, they'll get it back to you in a few weeks.

rljatl
07-07-10, 09:40
Hamilton Bowen
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/default.htm

or

Jim Stroh
http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com/index.html

RAM Engineer
07-07-10, 15:46
Thanks for the leads, guys. I had heard of Cylinder & Slide, but I wasn't familiar with how their current quality was. It sounds like they are still gtg. I WAS NOT aware that the Colt Custom Shop would do work on older guns. I thought they just did SAAs these days. I'll check with them and see what they say.

The others I was not aware of, either. Thanks again,

Jason

DrMark
07-10-10, 19:49
Take plenty of before pics, to contrast with your after pics.

Looking forward to seeing your results!