PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

eo500
07-06-10, 20:54
I went to the range yesterday and was fine-tuning my 50 yd zero. I have a BCM 16" lightweight middy with an Aimpoint H-1. I started using Tula and got some pretty tight groups zeroed in (the casings fell in a nice pile at about 4:00). Then I switched and shot a four round group of my HD ammo Hornady 75 gr TAP (the casings fell at about 2:00). The group was very tight, about a half inch, but the point of impact was a good 4 inches high. I expected there to be some difference, but 4 inches at only 50 yds. seems like a lot to me.

Is this normal:confused:, should I just write it off as the difference between the cheapest ammo available, and a high quality round?

Obviously I'd rather have a true zero with my go-to ammo, but like most people, I can afford to shoot a lot more of the cheap stuff, so if you have any suggestions for cheap ammo that has a closer impact to the Hornady, or a quality HD load that has a closer impact to Tula or Wolf (my BCM gobbles up the cheap stuff like I eat M&M's), I'd like to give them a try.

C4IGrant
07-06-10, 21:12
I went to the range yesterday and was fine-tuning my 50 yd zero. I have a BCM 16" lightweight middy with an Aimpoint H-1. I started using Tula and got some pretty tight groups zeroed in (the casings fell in a nice pile at about 4:00). Then I switched and shot a four round group of my HD ammo Hornady 75 gr TAP (the casings fell at about 2:00). The group was very tight, about a half inch, but the point of impact was a good 4 inches high. I expected there to be some difference, but 4 inches at only 50 yds. seems like a lot to me.

Is this normal:confused:, should I just write it off as the difference between the cheapest ammo available, and a high quality round?

Obviously I'd rather have a true zero with my go-to ammo, but like most people, I can afford to shoot a lot more of the cheap stuff, so if you have any suggestions for cheap ammo that has a closer impact to the Hornady, or a quality HD load that has a closer impact to Tula or Wolf (my BCM gobbles up the cheap stuff like I eat M&M's), I'd like to give them a try.

Pretty normal when you are dealing with different grain weights and pressures.

I use TAP for my defensive load and shoot their practice ammo for training. Little to no POI shift.

C4

Molon
07-06-10, 21:14

It has nothing to do with cheap versus quality ammo and everything to do with barrel harmonics and recoil vectors. While your shift in POI is a little more than usual, it is not abnormal.

eo500
07-06-10, 21:44
Pretty normal when you are dealing with different grain weights and pressures.

I use TAP for my defensive load and shoot their practice ammo for training. Little to no POI shift.

C4

Thanks, I'll have to pick up some of the Hornady practice ammo to give it a try.

davidz71
07-06-10, 22:43
What grain bullet is in the Tula ammo? If it is 55 gr. then it will shoot flatter than the 75 gr. TAP.

devildogljb
07-06-10, 23:59
yep normal ive expericed the same thing but different types of ammo then what you where using

eo500
07-07-10, 03:27
What grain bullet is in the Tula ammo? If it is 55 gr. then it will shoot flatter than the 75 gr. TAP.

The Tula was 55 gr. so I expected some shift, but 4" was a lot more than I expected at only 50 yds.

Pumpkinheaver
07-07-10, 18:33
I switched primers in my handloads one time and the POI shifted 4". Not suprised that the 75gr shot higher than the 55.