PDA

View Full Version : Surefire G2 or G2 LED

outrider627
07-06-10, 22:12
I've been recently looking into lights for my AR and I came across the Surefire G2. And then I found G&R Tactical's G2 package deal which is just awesome since I'm on a budget. But I'm torn between ordering the package deal or getting a G2 LED and the other accessories in the package at regular price. Its a $36 difference. Is the G2 LED worth it or should I go with the regular G2?

Thomas M-4
07-06-10, 22:16
G2 LED all the way.

dojpros
07-06-10, 22:49
Runtime and durability counsel for the G2 LED.

Dennis
07-07-10, 18:19
The advantage of a G2 LED is the aluminum bezel so that you can properly heat sink any of the new LED bulbs.

If you use a plastic head you need to limit your light output or use or risk overheating and frying the LED.

Dennis.

vigilant2
07-07-10, 19:42
G2 LED all the way!!!!!!!

sonrider657
07-07-10, 20:48
Get the LED version with the aluminum head and then upgrade to a Malkoff M60 or M61 when you get the funds.

Delta1067
07-08-10, 08:48
The LED is going to be very durable and you won't have to worry about it having any problems with recoil.

padwan
07-08-10, 09:25
The G2 LED is definitely worth the extra expense.

Good luck.

Quiet-Matt
07-08-10, 10:09
I echo all of the above comments.

rudy99
07-08-10, 12:20
Is the G2L (or LED) the same as getting the G2 with the Z32 bezel?

Dennis
07-08-10, 15:20
Is the G2L (or LED) the same as getting the G2 with the Z32 bezel?

It's actually the z44 bezel, same one as on the regular 6P. The z32 is the shock isolated one which unfortunately also isolates the heat from the LED. The z44 is smaller and conducts heat better, and the LED protects itself from shock!

Dennis.

demkofour
07-08-10, 16:26
Surefire has discontinued the 60L reflector and now offers a bezel/reflector combo at the same retail price: http://www.surefire.com/KX4-LED-Conversion-Head

See my post here http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57573
Still looking for some real world input on the new setup...

Dennis
07-08-10, 17:19
If you have an older G2 and want to use a LED drop in such as a Malkoff then you can get SF bezels from here as well as many other online and buy/sell message boards.

http://www.oveready.com/surefire-parts/bezels-standard-z44-/cat_28.html

I have only heard a little bit about the new SF head, but it sounds like a winner. However, the advantage Malkoff offers is various outputs and tints.

Both are probably bulletproof as far as LED's go. At some point you just have to decide on the amount of lumens you want, for how long, and how spot/floody you want it. It's not like one 120 lumen medium spot LED is going to be any more tactical than another one...

Dennis.

SPM14430
07-09-10, 16:32
Get the LED version with the aluminum head and then upgrade to a Malkoff M60 or M61 when you get the funds.

This is definitely the way to go. Malkoff M60 LED module is pricy, but the BEST upgrade you can buy.

I carry a Surefire upgraded with Malkoff LED module on duty.

outrider627
07-09-10, 17:46
So if the Malkoff drop ins are the best thing out there, can I buy a standard G2 now, and later upgrade it with the Malkoff LED and Z44 bezel?

SPM14430
07-09-10, 18:03
So if the Malkoff drop ins are the best thing out there, can I buy a standard G2 now, and later upgrade it with the Malkoff LED and Z44 bezel?

Absolutely, all you have to do is unscrew the bezel and drop in the Malkoff module.

If you are thinking about the Malkoff down the road, you may want to consider the Surefire 6P as a host for its all aluminum construction, better heat sinking properties.

sonrider657
07-09-10, 20:00
Absolutely, all you have to do is unscrew the bezel and drop in the Malkoff module.

If you are thinking about the Malkoff down the road, you may want to consider the Surefire 6P as a host for its all aluminum construction, better heat sinking properties.

For that money you might as well buy an Elzetta light which comes with a Malkoff LED.

Gutshot John
07-09-10, 22:46
If you use a plastic head you need to limit your light output or use or risk overheating and frying the LED.

Can you explain?

It was my understanding that LEDs run significantly cooler than standard bulbs.

uwe1
07-09-10, 23:51
Apparently, the LEDs can be damaged by the heat built up during extended runtimes. Having a aluminum bezel helps the heat to dissipate. Read the "Note" right under the "Warning" about frying your eyes at close range.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-p-7.html?zenid=gc83dd28n9hjs6sf0rd6k09n62

Can you explain?

Dennis
07-10-10, 00:00
Can you explain?

LED's run cooler for the same voltage, but when you pump them up to higher lumens (like most tactical applications) they can get pretty hot. However the kicker is that bulbs work fine when hot, but LED's need the heat to be transferred out much quicker or the built up heat will fry the electronics.

You can get a Malkoff 80 lumen LED drop in that will run cool in a plastic G2 for like 13 hours... Or you can get one that runs at 260 lumens and will fry itself after like 15 minutes in a plastic G2.

Dennis.

Gutshot John
07-11-10, 00:47
However the kicker is that bulbs work fine when hot, but LED's need the heat to be transferred out much quicker or the built up heat will fry the electronics.

So it's not so much a question of the bulb getting hot as much as the heat build-up in the solid-state circuitry? That makes sense

Learn something new everyday on this forum. :)

John Bonham
07-11-10, 01:03
I have the G2 LED. Good output and easy to service.

Mak8080
07-11-10, 10:15
Surefire G2 with a Malkoff drop-in FTW.

Victor
07-11-10, 17:45
We also have sold a pretty good bunch of our TNVC Q5 drop in lamps to many folks.:) http://tnvc.com/items/illumination_tools/q5_lamp.html We presently are still on-going with endurance testing from 3-4 guns now with Mr. Pat Rogers of well over 100k rounds and all is still very well GTG! We're VERY happy with the performance and long standing reliability with this kit.

Vic

drrufo
07-19-10, 23:56
I don't want to hijack this thread or demean Malkoff, but I have had good luck ordering LED modules on Ebay.

My latest purchase arrived 4 days after I ordered them. They are a drop in fit for my G2 and gives much more light(white) than the original module that came with my G2.
They cost 15.00 apiece with shipping included.

Just my 2 cents.

uwe1
07-21-10, 00:15
True, you will find deals on Ebay but it will be hit or miss when it comes to durability and quality. For example, while applying this logic to railed handguards, you could argue that UTG makes a perfectly "functional" handguard (I wouldn't necessarily agree). However, I'd rather pay more for the quality and functionality of a DD, LaRue, or Troy. There is a reason that people are paying more to buy from Malkoff (Travis Haley and Chris Costa have endorsed them) or TNVC (T&E'd by Pat Rogers) and that reason is because they want a product they can trust their lives with.

With that said, I think markm, in another drop-in module thread, said he had ordered some of the cheaper lights/modules for general use with good success.

I don't want to hijack this thread or demean Malkoff, but I have had good luck ordering LED modules on Ebay.

My latest purchase arrived 4 days after I ordered them. They are a drop in fit for my G2 and gives much more light(white) than the original module that came with my G2.
They cost 15.00 apiece with shipping included.

Just my 2 cents.

drrufo
07-21-10, 15:04
The modules are made with the same LED as the high priced spread. I have seen the same ones I ordered in lights at a gunshow selling for
three to four time as much. AFAIK there are only a few plants making these modules and they are all in Asia.

Dennis
07-21-10, 15:19
The modules are made with the same LED as the high priced spread. I have seen the same ones I ordered in lights at a gunshow selling for
three to four time as much. AFAIK there are only a few plants making these modules and they are all in Asia.

While the actual LED's are the same, the quality and design of the drop-in's construction are probably even more important. Also, better binning/color temp of the individual LED's probably adds to the cost of nicer models as well. Malkoff's provide a large heat sink that even the SF P60L did not provide and had to make up for by reducing voltage/output.

It may seem like a good value, but depending on your application you may or may not want something of higher quality and guaranteed reliability.

Dennis.