PDA

View Full Version : After-Market Mounting Options for a Surfire X300

SkiDevil
07-06-10, 23:23
Hey Guys,
I wanted to see what other options there may be for mounting a Surefire X300 Pistol LED light to an AR Picatinny SWS rail?

I want to go with something more solid/ secure than the plastic mount included with the light.

I took a look at RobS site:
http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/106721.html

And went through the light mounting thread, but didn't run across this question/ information.

So, far I have only found one mount: A La Rue.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=205

I looked over ADM (American Defense Manufacturing) website and did not see a mount specific for this application (X300).

I will be mounting the light on this rifle:

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/NoveskeAfghan023.jpg

Either at 12 'O Clock or 10:30.

Thanks in Advance
SkiDevil

P.S. If anyone has the La Rue, what are your thoughts/ opinions (experience) with it?

STAGMike
07-07-10, 15:34
Why not just mount it to the rail directly? You can use the lock kit that comes with it if you are worried about it coming off. If for some reason you do not have the lock call surefire and they will send you one out.

Mak8080
07-07-10, 15:48
I've had a couple of the Larue LT-619 on a couple of my training rigs and have nothing but good things to say about them. They're rock solid.

M4Guru
07-07-10, 16:28
The Larue X mount is about the only Larue mount I am not fond of.

It has a very high profile when mounted, compared to the factory mount it sticks out really far.

beavo451
07-07-10, 17:08
The LT mount is the only aftermarket option that I know of. That being said, there is nothing wrong with the X300 mount. If you smash your rifle/light into something to break the mount, you probably have other things to worry about.

SkiDevil
07-07-10, 22:24
I've had a couple of the Larue LT-619 on a couple of my training rigs and have nothing but good things to say about them. They're rock solid.

Thanks for the input. Do you have any pictures of the light/ mount combo attached to a rifle rail?

I am curious to see just how far off the mount/ light sit off of the rail.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. M4Guru, I will take a look at how far off the rail the mount sits. Thanks. Could be important if I mount the light at 12:00 O'Clock.;)

If there is nothing else available, then I will probably order the La Rue mount for the light.

Also, I e-mailed American Defense Manufacturing (ADM) to inquire if they are planning to produce a mount for the X300. If they are then I will likely wait, otherwise I will buy the La Rue.

To one of the members that posted a response regarding the factory mount. I am sure that is an adequate mount, but I want something stronger made of metal and easier to take off and on, than the factory locking picatinny mount.

SkiDevil

jjw
07-09-10, 12:45
The Larue X mount is about the only Larue mount I am not fond of.

It has a very high profile when mounted, compared to the factory mount it sticks out really far.

my thoughts exactly sticks out like a sore thumb

also cant put it in front of the front site like so many seem to want to now

no need just attach to rail

STAGMike
07-09-10, 12:55
One thing I do see the Larue mount offers is you'd be able to change the batteries with out removing the light. But I think if installed at 12 it would hinder your front sight plus the sight would be in the way of the battery cover so basically using the Larue @ 12 in front of the sight takes away one thing going for the mount as well as the thin profile of the light. Sounds counter productive to me.

Belmont31R
07-09-10, 13:00
I kinda gave up on the X300 because A. the stock mount is too low B. The LT mount puts it too high C. Risk of AD light.

With the stock mount behind a BUIS you are going to block tons of light, and create huge shadows in the beam.

The LT mount puts it so high you block half your FOV out of your optic.

I also think the activation method is a liability as if the lever catches on anything you are gong to AD the light.

Im using Scout lights now, and like them a lot.

Here was my X300 on my SR15...

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/IMG_1490.jpg

rob_s
07-09-10, 13:51
With the stock mount behind a BUIS you are going to block tons of light, and create huge shadows in the beam.

Why would you put it behind the BUIS?

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/website/X300%20VS%20TLR1/X300mounted.jpg

Belmont31R
07-09-10, 14:04
Why would you put it behind the BUIS?

I was going off the pic the OP posted.

Also the LT mount will make the BUIS unusable.

Ive had my X300 for 2-3 years, and I just don't think its a good light for a carbine. I realized after using it for a long time just toting the gun around the house the light was getting switched on numerous times. Lean it up against something, brush the levers against an object, etc. Its just way too unprotected to not reliably get AD's. It works going from the gun case to the range but in real world use I could see it getting turned on quite a bit. Go through some brush, gear, pant legs, etc.

A Scout light in an offset mount largely accomplishes the same thing, and light activation is much more secure. You can still get AD's but I think there is a much less chance of that happening. Ive been using the scouts for about a year, and never had a AD that I can recall.

rob_s
07-09-10, 14:12
I was going off the pic the OP posted.

He has the same front sight on that gun as I have in my picture. All he has to do is move it back 6 slots and it's a non-issue and makes the light easier to install and remove. If they light was behind the BUIS he'd never get it off the gun.

SkiDevil
07-11-10, 20:17
Thanks for the insight guys.:)

JJW and Belmont, the added information and pictures helped a great deal.

Rob_s, the set-up on your rifle was what I was considering. The Noveske SWS rail is approx. 11" which I believe still provides a sufficient amount of room for the Troy BUIS, if my optic fails.

After looking over, the photos of the La Rue (mount) X300 mounted on a rail. I may re-think purchasing the mount now.

For now, I will continue looking for another option to the factory X300 mounting hardware.

I tried a Surefire G2 in a Voltr mount in the past and did not care for the set-up. If there is nothing else available in the near future for the X300, then I will follow Belmont and purchase a Scout or Mini-Scout. The Surefire Scout seems like a lower profile set-up than the G2 mounted on a VTAC or VOLTR mount, especially the mini version.

Thanks again for the assistance
SkiDevil

rob_s
07-12-10, 06:07
Ski, if you're going to wind up going the Scout (whether 1-cell or 2) route you might look into the Gear Sector mount (http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/flashlight-mounts/surefire-scout-mounts/). I'm considering grabbing one for the mini-Scout I recently got. I like the way the GS mount rolls the light in closer to the centerline than the other, straight, offset mounts.

jsebens
07-12-10, 06:12
Or the Danger Close Consulting mount; I'm running a mini-Scout on one now, and it's pretty much the heat.

SkiDevil
07-12-10, 11:39
Ski, if you're going to wind up going the Scout (whether 1-cell or 2) route you might look into the Gear Sector mount (http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/flashlight-mounts/surefire-scout-mounts/). I'm considering grabbing one for the mini-Scout I recently got. I like the way the GS mount rolls the light in closer to the centerline than the other, straight, offset mounts.

Thanks Rob. I will check-it out.

GlockWRX
07-12-10, 16:02
You might also want to check out the Viking Tactics Surefire light. It's basically an E-series body with a M600C head on tail cap on it. I just ordered one today along with a Gear Sector mount to go on my KAC SR-15. It's on sale for $150 right now.

SkiDevil
10-06-10, 23:44
Well it has been a few months, but I may have found a mounting system to attach a Surefire X300 to a rifle rail that is more durable and solid than the standard factory version, at least in my opinion.

I contacted the good folks at American Defense Manufacturing (ADM) in July and several weeks later this was a prototype model was produced. Initially, I was planning on mounting the light at the 12 O'Clock position, but opted for the 9 O'Clock position instead.

With the light (X300) mounted utilizing the ADM mount, approx. 1/2" in height is added to the bottom of the light resulting in the obstruction/ blockage of the TROY Flip-Up front sights which I use on my rifles.

With the light mounted at the 9 O'Clock position, it works well for me utilizing a VFG. I am easily able to activate the switch, On and Off.

I am impressed with the mount and selected the ADM product, because it is the brand which I am most familiar with.

I was afforded the opportunity to try-out the light/ mount and have been experimenting with it. At the moment with limited access to a night-fire rifle range, I have not used the light/ mount in any type of night shoot yet. But, I plan on doing so in the next few weeks.

I have to say that I was pretty surprised at the response that I received from ADM when I inquired if there was a current production mount for the Surefire X-Series lights. The response was "no," but we would be happy to make one.

Finally, In the interests of full disclosure: I did not pay for the mount pictured in the photos. It was provided in return for the use of my light for several weeks, while a design was completed. At the end, I attached a couple of ADM's photos of the light mounted on an Taurus Pistol as well.

SkiDevil

Note: The light is mounted on a Daniel Defense DD Lite Rail. I also mounted the light on a Noveske Specd. SWS rail as well.

I will weight the rail and light together and post at a later date.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/AimpointandX300006.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/AimpointandX300022.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/AimpointandX300027.jpg

Center of Light is approx. 2 1/2" from the barrel.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/AimpointandX300049.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/AimpointandX300030.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/MPSurefire3002.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/MPSurefire3003.jpg

jsebens
10-06-10, 23:48
Well it has been a few months, but I may have found a mounting system to attach a Surefire X300 to a rifle rail that is more durable and solid than the standard factory version, at least in my opinion.

SkiDevil, did you try the LaRue Tactical mount for the X300 before the ADM, or were you not interested in it?

MookNW
10-07-10, 01:37
am I wrong, or is the x300 still using the plastic factory bracket To hold the light to the adm mount?

nickdrak
10-07-10, 01:53
am I wrong, or is the x300 still using the plastic factory bracket To hold the light to the adm mount?

Yeah, it kinda defeats any practicality to that mount design other than giving it a higher profile:confused:

If you dont want to run it in the 12 o'clock position mounted directly to the rail in-front of your front sight (which is optimal in my opinion), then the next best option in my opinion is the GearSector mount which places the X300 in the 10:30-11:00 position tucked in between the top and side rails:http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/flashlight-mounts/surefire-x.series-mounts/

My opinion.... Install the "P" mounting plate on your X300 and mount @ 12 o'clock in-front of your front sight.

MookNW
10-07-10, 02:02
That's cool that they made you a mount though.

STAGMike
10-07-10, 07:32
I do see this as a more secure and easily removable mount vs the factory set up because it uses the factory lock but has a QD ability via the mount...... I have never seen one of the factory mounts give any problems even when using the other non locking rail...... I think a riser would do the same as the only real reason to remove the light from the gun would be to change the batteries.......

beavo451
10-07-10, 08:43

Wow seriously?

Hey Guys,
I want to go with something more solid/ secure than the plastic mount included with the light.

The stock plastic mount is still used as part of the that mounting system. How can it be "more durable and solid" if the part you were complaining about is still used???

Rezarf2
10-07-10, 10:17
I am running the LaRue setup, and it is great for quick on and quick off, but other than that, even with its relatively low profile (compared to the mount pictured above in this thread) I would prefer the dedicated SF rail mount option. It is rock solid, I just prefer the quick on and off of the LaRue. I find it adds an additional 1/4-3/8"" of height over the factory mount.

I can snap any pics that'd help you out.

SkiDevil
10-07-10, 23:10
SkiDevil, did you try the LaRue Tactical mount for the X300 before the ADM, or were you not interested in it?

No, I didn't try the La Rue mount. I saw two for sale on (this forum) and another sight, but decided to try-out what ADM made first.

Yes, the plastic mount is still utilized with the ADM mount.

SkiDevil
10-07-10, 23:16
That's cool that they made you a mount though.

Yes. I thought it was too.

After, I provide feedback. Another version may be produced to in order to address the higher (addition of the spacer) placement of the light in a Quick Detach mount that is lower or equal to the factory position of the light on the rail.

It was made clear up front to me that the resulting adapter and mount would be higher than the factory version. I communicated to ADM for the QD mount to be made and it could be looked-at afterwards for improvement/s.

SkiDevil
10-07-10, 23:43
Wow seriously?

The stock plastic mount is still used as part of the that mounting system. How can it be "more durable and solid" if the part you were complaining about is still used???

I wasn't complaining about the factory mount. I mounted the light first with the factory mount.

Perhaps, the better way to state what I was looking for is what Rezarf2 said. Essentially, it provides more convenience.

Also, I do prefer the ADM mount/ rail interface. It just feels more sturdy like the Tango Down VFG pictured on the rifle, because of the ADM mechanism attaching to the rail.

You are correct, however, the Surefire light and mount combination is not more solid.

In addition, I realize that if the light is struck on an inadimate object, such as a wall, then the light will break at it weakest point, the factory plastic base plate, and the QD mount will stay on the rifle while the light falls on the ground.

When, the idea of making a mount was suggested I did not know what the end result would be but I figured it was worth attempting.

If the mount can be designed to duplicate the over-all height of the factory version, when attached to the rail, I think it is something many would be interested in, especially considering the amount of people mounting these type of lights to rifles.

This mount is only a prototype.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - -- - - --

Yeah, it kinda defeats any practicality to that mount design other than giving it a higher profile

If you dont want to run it in the 12 o'clock position mounted directly to the rail in-front of your front sight (which is optimal in my opinion), then the next best option in my opinion is the GearSector mount which places the X300 in the 10:30-11:00 position tucked in between the top and side rails:http://www.gearsector.com/browse/cat...series-mounts/

My opinion.... Install the "P" mounting plate on your X300 and mount @ 12 o'clock in-front of your front sight.

- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -- - -- - -- - -- - -
Thanks for the link and the suggestion Nick, I appreciate it.

It may be viewed as not practical, but it could be the first step to a better option/ design.

One thing that I have noticed is that although I do not have trouble switching the light on or off with the factory switch at least in this application a Surefire tape switch may work better for me.

I will be looking into ordering one soon.

SkiDevil

P.S. I would mount the X300/ ADM mount to the 12 O'Clock position if it fell below the TROY front sight, but since it doesn't I chose to work with the light at the current position pictured for the time being.

nickdrak
10-08-10, 01:24
SD,

I honestly believe you are over-thing this mounting thing on the X300. I have been running mine using the factory "P" mounting plate in the 12 o'clock position for almost 3 years now on my daily carry duty AR's and I have no worries about the durability of the factory mount. There are numerous other guys I know locally, and from the boards that also run this set-up, and I have yet to hear a complaint with their factory mount failing or breaking. I also run one on my M&P9 duty pistol, and have done so for the past 5 years. Again no worries.

The benefits of running the X300 in-front of your front sight in the 12 o'clock position far outweigh any potential benefits you may think of with adding a higher QD mount such as the ADM prototype you are currently running.

Im also NOT a fan of the current tape-switch design for the X300's it's too bulky and long.

Thanks for the link and the suggestion Nick, I appreciate it.

It may be viewed as not practical, but it could be the first step to a better option/ design.

One thing that I have noticed is that although I do not have trouble switching the light on or off with the factory switch at least in this application a Surefire tape switch may work better for me.

I will be looking into ordering one soon.

SkiDevil

P.S. I would mount the X300/ ADM mount to the 12 O'Clock position if it fell below the TROY front sight, but since it doesn't I chose to work with the light at the current position pictured for the time being.

Rezarf2
10-11-10, 23:48
Here is the difference between the LaRue and the Surefire factory mount. I think it was about 1/2" or so of difference, which on the rail of my carbine feels substantially different. FWIW, they were on the same flat plane, even though the fabric is bundled, they are on the same level surface.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/drew_frazer/x300/x300diff3.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/drew_frazer/x300/x300diff2.jpg

I hope it helps

SkiDevil
10-11-10, 23:52
Here is the difference between the LaRue and the Surefire factory mount. I think it was about 1/2" or so of difference, which on the rail of my carbine feels substantially different. FWIW, they were on the same flat plane, even though the fabric is bundled, they are on the same level . . .

I hope it helps

Thanks for the pictures.

It looks like about the same difference between the ADM mount and the X300 without the ADM mount/ light combo on my rifle.

I will take the same pictures and post it up as well.:)

SkiDevil
10-12-10, 00:11
SD,

I honestly believe you are over-thing this mounting thing on the X300. I have been running mine using the factory "P" mounting plate in the 12 o'clock position for almost 3 years now on my daily carry duty AR's and I have no worries about the durability of the factory mount. There are numerous other guys I know locally, and from the boards that also run this set-up, and I have yet to hear a complaint with their factory mount failing or breaking. I also run one on my M&P9 duty pistol, and have done so for the past 5 years. Again no worries.

The benefits of running the X300 in-front of your front sight in the 12 o'clock position far outweigh any potential benefits you may think of with adding a higher QD mount such as the ADM prototype you are currently running.

Im also NOT a fan of the current tape-switch design for the X300's it's too bulky and long.

I may re-consider the tape-switch. There is someone whom I worked with that has contacts with Surefire, I am going to see if I can borrow one before purchasing it.

In the end, I plan on purchasing a Surefire Mini-Scout light. But, as I have several other rifles I will still follow-through with the ADM mount. I like the power output and size of the X300.

I am sure that the standard X300 mount is fine, but I want something with a Quick Detach and a lever.

As for the position of the light, I may have access to a night range in the next couple of weeks. I will use the light as placed in the photos 9'O Clock at 25 and 50 yards in comparison to the 12 O' Clock position and see if there is a significant difference.

- - - - - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - -
If anyone has any thoughts on what modifications could be completed to the pictured ADM/ X300 mount to lower the overall- height of the mount/ light combination, please feel free to list those ideas.

The most immediate one which I thought of myself was to utilize some type of mini-riser, which some use for the Eotech sights, to still allow for the standard height, or at least a lower overall-height than what is currently available with the prototype, pictured on my rifle.

Thanks for the responses and interest
SkiDevil

nickdrak
10-12-10, 00:35
One of, if the the biggest benefits of mounting the X300 in the 12 o'clock position vs. the side 3 or 9 o'clock position is when shooting around and over barricades. When shooting around barricades the 12 o'clock position is the most versatile. You avoid the typical white out reflection that is common with a mount on either side of the rifle when shooting around cover. You also limit how much of your body & your rifle gets exposed when peeking around a corner and illuminating a potential target in most situations. Again, the verstility of the 12 o'clock position far outweighs any perceived benefits of having a throw lever qd mount installed that requires it to be mounted on the side....

As for the position of the light, I may have access to a night range in the next couple of weeks. I will use the light as placed in the photos 9'O Clock at 25 and 50 yards in comparison to the 12 O' Clock position and see if there is a significant difference.

Iraqgunz
10-12-10, 01:24
I am also using the Larue mount on my wifes X200 and her carbine.

ASH556
10-15-10, 13:35
I slid an X300 onto an LMT MRP rail at work the other day, and it was loose as a goose, like seriously rattling around. Those of you that are direct mounting your light to the rail at 12'oclock, is it tight? I'm not a fan of the lock option, because you have to take the light off to change batteries if you have a BUIS behind it.

STAGMike
10-15-10, 14:00
I slid an X300 onto an LMT MRP rail at work the other day, and it was loose as a goose, like seriously rattling around. Those of you that are direct mounting your light to the rail at 12'oclock, is it tight? I'm not a fan of the lock option, because you have to take the light off to change batteries if you have a BUIS behind it.

Did you have the P rail on it or the U as in universal like most pistol rails?

ASH556
10-15-10, 14:09
Not sure, it was straight out of the box. Put it on a Glock first (tight fit), then the rail (loose fit).

STAGMike
10-15-10, 14:10
Yep it has the universal rail on it... you need to swap it out for the P rail to fit your rifle.

ASH556
10-15-10, 14:33
Does the P rail do away with the spring loaded bar? (i.e. lock the light onto the rail and require a wrench to remove?) If so, that's a no-go. How are you going to change batteries? (I'm not talking about a high-speed change of batteries in a fight, that's stupid; but don't want to have to break out a wrench every time either)

STAGMike
10-15-10, 14:51
No it is the exact same thing only wider/thicker as the universal rail is narrower... it should be in the package with the light along with the directions for install etc... if not they will send it to ya.

Rezarf2
10-15-10, 23:54
You can also loosend the 6 bolts on the mounting rails. Pinch it onto your rail and tighten them up. It will lock up rock solid.