PDA

View Full Version : one more reason to test your own carry ammo

eo500
07-07-10, 03:22
I had been debating between the Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +P+ and the 147 gr SXT Rangers for my carry and home defense load in my Glock 19. When I saw that Ammo to go had both in stock, I bought a box of each. Monday I went out to test and see which I liked better. I was expecting to feel a difference in the recoil of the +P+ load, compared to the standard albeit heavier bullet. Actually, the difference was negligible (if anything, the 147 gr was a little faster to get back on target) with one exception. The 127 gr. +P+ loads consistently kicked the brass back at me, sometimes hitting my hat, sometimes flying over my head, and one hitting me on my eye pro. Knowing that I most likely won't have eye pro or even a ball cap for that matter, if I ever do need to use it when carrying, or for home defense. I decided on using the 147 gr since it kicked the brass at three o'clock, and I don't need any extra distractions in that kind of situation.

Has anyone else experienced something similar in testing your own ammo, none of the other loads I've used have exhibited this ejection pattern?

orionz06
07-07-10, 05:10
When I carried a G23 the ejection pattern seemed to vary tremendously with different types of ammo, as well as the feel of the of the slide. Some ammo felt like it was making the gun work very rough while others felt smooth.

ShipWreck
07-07-10, 06:24
I have found that POI can change depending on which brand and weight of JHP. My carry gun, a Beretta 92FS, will shoot 115gr JHP low about 2 inches (strangelyh enough, 115 gr FMJ hits dead on). So, yes, you should always try your carry ammo

Detmongo
07-07-10, 07:44
you also want to shoot enough of your chosen carry round to make sure it functions in your carry weapon. i know it's a glock, but i still like to run a fair amount of carry ammo thru it for peace of mind.

ccoker
07-07-10, 10:10
yep, and I would want to run 200 rounds of it through the gun
ideally with each mag...
I use 147 HST in both standard and +p, whichever I can get, both function well in my Wilson Spec Ops 9 and my M&P9C (which wouldn't feed 124+p gold dot for short barrels reliably)

Bubba FAL
07-07-10, 10:45
I've experienced the ejection issue with some loads in my 1911. Since I use a right-hand, left-eye pistol hold, with some ammo the brass would eject right back at my forehead. Like you state, not a good thing in a defensive situation.

Ejection from my M&Ps is quite vigorous out to 3 o'clock, so no problems there.

SHIVAN
07-07-10, 10:51
You'll probably be moving...:)

I pick the one that the FBI, DocGKR, or other ballistics experts say perform best in the field and in the gel.

Last I read, a top performer was Ranger-T 127gr +p+...

skyugo
07-07-10, 10:53
i've found mags to have a huge effect on ejection path personally. the newest rev mags with good springs kick everything over to the right.. some of the old mags i use at the range like to pop it back at ya.

i think someone was saying that a newer guide rod spring tends to give a better ejection path too.

G19's do have somewhat of a rep for tossing brass at your face though.