PDA

View Full Version : Glocks stolen out of Israeli PM's bodyguard's luggage on American Airlines flight

HK45
07-07-10, 11:03
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10536793.stm

HowardCohodas
07-07-10, 11:46
I have frequently checked my primary and BUG in my luggage for air travel and have had no difficulty. It's hard to tell from such anecdotal stories if the loss of guns in luggage is any more prevalent than the loss of other valuables in luggage.

VooDoo6Actual
07-07-10, 14:12
Bummer,

some Banger in NY has Bright Yellow Glock mags now...

Baggage handlers know the holes in the system and exploit it all the time. They know where the cameras are and what waypoints from leaving possesion to ramp are vulerable etc.

BrianS
07-07-10, 14:27
I wouldn't have thought that Israeli secret service would be required to put guns in checked luggage.

HowardCohodas
07-07-10, 14:30
I wouldn't have thought that Israeli secret service would be required to put guns in checked luggage.

It is my understanding that, in general, we don't treat security personnel for leaders of other countries with much deference.

GermanSynergy
07-07-10, 15:13
IIRC don't most Israeli diplomatic security types carry the Glock 19C?

Fireglock
07-07-10, 16:39
TSA officials put a/their seal on it? Wonder why someone would think there was something of value in that luggage? :rolleyes:

SeriousStudent
07-07-10, 17:10
Well, I'm glad to know that my Glock 19 is a "powerful handgun used by security organizations all over the world."

Take that, all you haters! :D

HES
07-07-10, 19:38
Heck I will take it even further, why was he flying commercial? He is a head of state, a state with a a nationally carrier. Why not charter one their own aircraft and fly him direct to DC?

Fireglock
07-07-10, 19:44
Heck I will take it even further, why was he flying commercial? He is a head of state, a state with a a nationally carrier. Why not charter one their own aircraft and fly him direct to DC?

They may have been an advance party. FDLE protects the Governor and they send an advance team on commercial flights when he travels. When my friend worked it they checked their firearms frequently. Just a thought.

Ed L.
07-07-10, 21:12
I've lost track of the number of times that I have flown with guns checked in my luggage and never had a problem (and I am probably jinxing myself by saying this . . .).

I always insure it for extra like $2500 worth by filling out some paperwork and I *believe* it gets it some extra handling or something. When I think of everything that is in there--often a gun and an expensive camera as well as clothing, medicines, accessories, etc, it would definitely run more than the airline's standard $1000 per bag max or whatever.

Exactly right. Maybe they were from an advanced party or something.

chadbag
07-07-10, 23:55
Exactly right. Maybe they were from an advanced party or something.

I am guessing they flew El Al to NYC and transferred there to American Airlines for a trip to DC. According to the El Al website, they are partners with American.

In doing the stop in NYC, they would have had to go through customs and recheck their luggage.

Heartland Hawk
07-08-10, 08:44
I have frequently checked my primary and BUG in my luggage for air travel and have had no difficulty. It's hard to tell from such anecdotal stories if the loss of guns in luggage is any more prevalent than the loss of other valuables in luggage.

I have done this as well for over four years; and I fly four times or more a month. So far I've never had a problem.

BSHNT2015
07-08-10, 10:01
Every time I've traveled with my "gear", I locked everything inside a Pelican case with BIG locks after TSA does their thing. For what it's worth the airline tag is placed inside the locked case. If the "ramp rat" really wants my stuff, they'll have to carry around a heavy 42" Pelican case. ;)