PDA

View Full Version : MUR/VIS does it help any?

clickclack
07-07-10, 14:48
first off. I am a function over form guy. Im currently spec'n out my next build which will be a DMR/Recce. Ive decided on a 16" stainless steel barrel with a 1/8 twist. Most likey a BCM.

While doing my research on the rail systems i noticed the DD lite 12" weighs 2 ounces lighter then the Larue equal which i think makes the DD the winner of those two.

Then I was taking a look at the VIS 12" does anyone know the weight when compared to the DD lite 12" OR if it has any significant performance or is it just a novalty item? I will admit that it does look nice but if i can save some money that could go to some good 77gr ammo then its a obvious choice for me.

nrose8989
07-07-10, 17:49
I own a 12" VIS.

It weighs 29.0 ounces according to the rail chart.

I don't see any added value other than they look cool. If I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't get it...... But I do own one and it's bad ass, so oh well.

thopkins22
07-07-10, 17:52
GotM4 has posted before that the stiffer receivers can give you 1/8-1/4 MOA increase in accuracy. If everything else you do will allow that to show itself then I suppose it's a fine idea. Ammo, barrel, stable shooting positions, optics, and what not.

ALCOAR
07-07-10, 20:11
GotM4 has posted before that the stiffer receivers can give you 1/8-1/4 MOA increase in accuracy. If everything else you do will allow that to show itself then I suppose it's a fine idea. Ammo, barrel, stable shooting positions, optics, and what not.

Very true statement above.....the vis, although not monolithic, stills provides a top continuous rail for optics plus the vis overall is a much more rigid frame to build accuracy upon than a single receiver with a separate rail.

nrose8989
07-07-10, 20:34
I stand corrected....

My rifle isn't set up for precision so honestly I didn't think it added much for accuracy.... but I guess it does :D