PDA

View Full Version : Help me finish my 6920

Crow Hunter
07-07-10, 15:52
My use:

Varmit hunting (Crow/coyote), target shooting (reactive targets), training (Pat's COC in November) , personal defense out to 300 yards.

What I have now:

Colt 6920
Trijicon Accupoint TR24 (Green triangle)
LT 135 (Thanks Nikdrack and Belmont)
Troy Folding rear

What I need help on:
Sling
Light
Sling Mount
Light Mount

Do I need to go FF rail based on my intended usage?

If I don't use rails, what is the best way to mount a light and a sling?

Based on how I hold the rifle, standard carbine length rails are fine, I have never tried a VFG. (I pretty much grab the front of the handguard and pull it back)

Thanks for your help.

beavo451
07-07-10, 17:02
On my Colt, I don't use rails. I don't even use rails on my MOE handguards (I prefer the way they feel over the standard M4 handguards). I have a Gear Sector 2-pt sling using the side sling swivel that comes with the 6920 in the front and a QD adapter on a CTR stock on the rear.

I have a Surefire Scout light on a piece of rail mounted to the FSB.

FF rails aren't necessary. Marines make hits out to 500 meters just fine without free-floating barrels.

DaBears_85
07-07-10, 23:10
FF floating rails aren't necessary unless you're doing precision shooting. Keep in mind I've never owned a FF rail, so I'll limit my comment(s) regarding them to that. I run the KAC RAS M4 rail just because it's what I'm used to from being in the Army.

As far as a light, I wouldn't look any further than a Surefire. For a light mount, I'd get either the VTAC or the Vltor. I currently run a Surfire 6P with the Vltor QD mount. You're gonna have to figure out what light will work best for you as some lights will be too bright for indoor use or to dim for outdoor use. I think something around 80 lumens is suitable for indoor use. I don't really have any experience with outdoor use, but I'm assuming you'd want more than 80 lumens. You could get a Surfire and upgrade it with a Malkov bulb/lens (not sure of the correct term), which would make it much brighter. That's assuming of course you're gonna be using it outdoors.

As far as slings, you're gonna have to figure out what works best for you as there's several variables that come into play. Attachment points and methods, single-point or two-point, and so on. Personally I run a VTAC 2-point sling with a Midwest Industries QD sling swivel up front and a HK style hook connected to the IKH SLAP in the rear.

Hope this helps...

cop1211
07-07-10, 23:40
Gear sector for the mounts.