PDA

View Full Version : Rem 870 Magazine Tube Extensions

SmokeJumper
07-08-10, 16:39
Got a new 870P coming in and was going to add a few accessories. I was kicking around a 1-Shot extension from Sacttergun Tech.(Wilson Combat) although the weight savings is slight to non for one round less in the tube. I've been looking at the Scattergun full length extension, Vang Comp and then the Remington Factory extension. The Remington seems to be the most expensive followed by the Vang Comp. They all seem to come with the same needed hardware, follower, spring, etc. I'm curious if anyone has any preferences over one or the other in regards to mag tube extensions.

xrayoneone
07-08-10, 16:54
I have a factory +2 and an S&J Hardware +2 mag extension on my 870s. At work we have the Scattergun +1 on the 14" barrels and the factory +3 extensions on the Wingmasters. Honestly I can't see the difference as I have never seen a malfunction caused by one. I would take the Scattergun as they are well made and cheaper than a Remington factory. Just stay away from the NCstar "polymer" crap.

I have the S&J Hardware and the Remington factory because I have the USMC bayonet lugs mounted, otherwise I would have bought the Scattergun.

SeriousStudent
07-08-10, 16:59
I have a Vang Comp +2, and have been very happy with it. It's been knocked and dropped, and still functions just fine.

Buck (mod here) has taught many shotgun classes, and you might want to Google some of his posts here. He's given the scoop on extensions that have literally flown apart.

ikickhippies
07-08-10, 20:47
I've always had really good luck with Nordic Components extensions. I've always thought the Remington ones were overpriced.

Most important thing to remember is to make sure they stay tight. I try to keep a witness mark with a white paint marker so that if it loosens I can see it.

Iraqgunz
07-08-10, 21:24
I just installed a +1 Scattergun extension on my 14" barrel. It's very solid, albeit a little PITA to install.

terrymo
07-09-10, 11:15
I have run the Remington, Scattergun and Vang +2 extensions. I would give the edge to the Vang closely followed by the Scattergun extension. I have seen extensions launched in training courses because the owner did not check to make sure the extension was tight. While amusing on the range for the other shooters, in a defensive situation...that would be a bad day.

SmokeJumper
07-09-10, 15:11
How about the follower, all are plastic that I've seen with the exception of the Vang Comp stainless steel follower- any preferences?

SeriousStudent
07-09-10, 18:56
I run the Vang metal follower.

Iraqgunz - very nice shotgun, sir. Stay safe over there.

RWK
07-09-10, 19:38
I'm curious if anyone has any preferences over one or the other in regards to mag tube extensions.

I prefer the Vang extensions. They're built better, IMO. Be sure to get spare tube springs.

How about the follower, all are plastic that I've seen with the exception of the Vang Comp stainless steel follower- any preferences?

The follower isn't a high wear item. Use whichever you like. I just happen to have a Vang follower in my 870P.

Iraqgunz
07-10-10, 06:23
SS,

Thanks, I am actually CONUS for a bit.

I run the Vang metal follower.

Iraqgunz - very nice shotgun, sir. Stay safe over there.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
07-12-10, 21:08
I just installed a +1 Scattergun extension on my 14" barrel. It's very solid, albeit a little PITA to install.

Nice gun, I saw one for sale today NIB for around $500...tempting.

SmokeJumper
07-13-10, 17:16

Forgot to tell ya, nice scattergun, the pic didn't come across mobile. Welcome back to the states. Not to get too much off of the topic, (all good advice-thanks) how do you like the Speed Feed Stock with shell carrier built in? Worth getting for a defensive shotgun?

kmrtnsn
07-13-10, 23:53
Having carried a 14" ScatterGun Tech for ten years, they get my vote. I just put an SGT extension on my wife's new 12ga. A great deal for the $$ cause you get the spring and follower with it.

usmcvet
07-20-10, 07:13
We have two one shot Wilson extensions at work for our 14" guns. I have a two shot Wilson extension on my personal shotgun. They are very well made.

terrymo
07-24-10, 12:55
smokejumper
A couple of pics with the clamp you asked about by pm
Clark Custom clamp from Brownells and Vang extension
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/terrymo/100_0358.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/terrymo/100_0357.jpg

DHart
08-01-10, 16:00
Do you guys with the Scattergun +2 extension (which doesn't have a clamp) find the attachment to be generally secure enough for light duty (home defense) with no bracket?

I'm not a big fan of the brackets because they are a little more work for take down/reassembly for cleaning and the bracket can mar the barrel and mag tube.

If I were heading into war with a mag extension, I'd use a bracket clamp for sure, but for light-duty, home defense use, is the SGT +2 likely to be plenty secure enough without a bracket?

Mitch1352
08-01-10, 17:13
I have an 870 from Scattergun Tech waaay back when they were in Tennessee. Bout 17 years old. No front bracket and it has ridden in my patrol car almost every day. Been carried on building searches, into gang fights, shot 2 injured deer, an attacking dog and one drunk shooting at me with a .38 revolver. The extension is good to go. I have the same extension from Wilson Combat/SGT on 2 18-inchers and 2 14-inchers. I don't see any "tuffness" issues since Wilson bought SGT.
No experience with Vang, but am told it is a good company also. I'm just partial to Scattergun Tech.

usmcvet
08-01-10, 17:27
I like the Scattergun ext way better the thing is rock solid and over built. No bracket is needed the thing is rugged.

R Moran
08-01-10, 17:29
Mitch,
Do your barrels have the spring loaded ball detent on the barrel "ring" or sleeve that goes over the mag tube?

I believe that helps the extension or any mag cap from unscrewing under fire. With Express barrels, there is no ball detent, and I've seen extended tube begin to loosen under fire. A clamp would help prevent that.

Bob

DHart
08-01-10, 17:31
I think you guys have convinced me to get a Wilson SGT +2 extension for my new 870P.... I can't bring myself to strap a bracket on this gorgeous blued barrel, but I could live with a non-bracket extension if it is sufficiently stable without a bracket.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/P1020028.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/P1020024.jpg

usmcvet
08-01-10, 17:36
The sling swivel on the Scattergun ext provides some support too.

terrymo
08-01-10, 17:56
I have seen scattergun and vang extensions launched in 2-4 day shotgun training classes. I have no idea if they were properly tightened. Continuous shotgun recoil will cause things to come loose unexpectedly. Knowing Mr. Murphy is alive and well and me being overly cautious I run a clamp with blue loctite on the clamp hardware. However my shotgun has a dull, scuffed patina from use and so it is well beyond trying to preserve any fit and finish.

DHart
08-01-10, 18:24
I have seen scattergun and vang extensions launched in 2-4 day shotgun training classes. I have no idea if they were properly tightened. Continuous shotgun recoil will cause things to come loose unexpectedly.

Good reason to check mag extension tightness when loading the gun for defense preparedness... and continuously, during prolonged practice/training sessions.

DHart
08-01-10, 18:29
There's a spring loaded ball detent on the mag tube support ring, which is welded to the barrel on my 870P... can the Wilson SGT extension make use of that ball detent to help keep itself from loosening?

SmokeJumper
08-01-10, 23:02
smokejumper
A couple of pics with the clamp you asked about by pm
Clark Custom clamp from Brownells and Vang extension
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/terrymo/100_0358.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/terrymo/100_0357.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the close-ups!

Mitch1352
08-02-10, 19:04
DHart: the Scattergun extension has the detents on it in the same fashion that the factory cap has. Just screw the extension onto your existing tube and you are done. The Police and Express barrels have the ball detent installed; the Home Defense barrel ring is cut on an angle so that when you screw down the mag tube cap, friction is developed with the threads. It is a cost-cutting measure that will leave your tube tilted up because of the cut. The Police and Express barrels have the ball detent so everything goes on straight. If you do a lot of shooting, reach up occasionally and tighten it back down, if needed. I have had classes where I have fired 600+ rounds of buckshot and slugs and have never had any trouble. I could break a bowling ball, but this shotgun is Tonka-truck tuff.

DHart
08-02-10, 19:23
DHart: the Scattergun extension has the detents on it in the same fashion that the factory cap has. Just screw the extension onto your existing tube and you are done. The Police and Express barrels have the ball detent installed; the Home Defense barrel ring is cut on an angle so that when you screw down the mag tube cap, friction is developed with the threads. It is a cost-cutting measure that will leave your tube tilted up because of the cut. The Police and Express barrels have the ball detent so everything goes on straight. If you do a lot of shooting, reach up occasionally and tighten it back down, if needed. I have had classes where I have fired 600+ rounds of buckshot and slugs and have never had any trouble. I could break a bowling ball, but this shotgun is Tonka-truck tuff.

Mitch... thank you, my friend. I'm sold on getting a Wilson SGT +2. Thanks to all for your help! :thank_you2:

DHart
08-02-10, 22:18
Anybody.... is the sling mount that comes with the Wilson SGT +2 extension integral to the extension, or can the sling mount be removed if not needed?

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extension-Tube-Right-Hand-2-Shot-12-Gauge/productinfo/SGET-RH-2/

usmcvet
08-03-10, 05:47
I do not think it is meant to come off. You would have to do some cutting.

terrymo
08-03-10, 07:12
It has been a few years since I had the scattergun mag tube extension but if I recall correctly, the sling mount could not be removed. You can purchase the scattergun extension with no sling mount. The vang front sling mount does remove since it is retained on the mag tube by a snap ring. If you have snap ring pliers, you would have to be very careful to keep the snap ring spread as you slide it off the front of the mag tube extension if you don't like the idea of leaving the snap ring on after removing the sling mount. The other issue is the vang has some play in the sling loop and it will contact the barrel with the shotgun slung. I only mention it because of your concern about marring the finish. Hope this helps your decision.

Mitch1352
08-03-10, 09:46
DHart: no sweat, amigo. I got an 870 from them for my neighbor's son when he got on the Job 3 years ago. My son has one and I have Lamar (my original Tennessee-made blaster) plus 2 more. Does that make me biased???
The basic 870 is hell-for-stout, but when you take advantage of some sensible modifications, it rounds out the design. Consider a modified choke tube for it, too. With the Remington buckshot I am issued at work, it increases my range by about 12 yards, meaning I get all 8 pellets center mass at about 26 yards. In your home, it won't matter a bit, but as a general purpose tool, it is nice.

DHart
08-03-10, 11:43
My 870's are "Ps", so the ball detent is there, thankfully! I think I'm going to go with a Wilson without sling mount. Thanks again.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/P1020028.jpg

Spiffums
08-03-10, 14:49

Who would have thought that just 4 inch would make someone green with envy! :lol:

TommyG
08-07-10, 15:36
Anybody.... is the sling mount that comes with the Wilson SGT +2 extension integral to the extension, or can the sling mount be removed if not needed?

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extension-Tube-Right-Hand-2-Shot-12-Gauge/productinfo/SGET-RH-2/

You would have to cut it off. It would not be a big deal to remove but you would not be able to switch it on and off for different configurations.

As far as durability, mine has been on for a number of years with no clamp and I have never had any issues with it coming loose. It has seen a lot of rounds and a lot of rough handling over the years. I also hunt turkeys with that particular 870 and I often have a hell of time getting the extension off to switch barrels and convert it back to hunting legal capacity. I would check it periodically and not worry about a clamp unless you started finding it loose after a shooting it.

DHart
08-07-10, 18:17
TommyG... thanks for the feedback... I'm going to order a Wilson extension and give it a go... with a lot of positive feedback on it, like yours, I'm confident it's a quality option.