PDA

View Full Version : IWB Retention holsters

Bulldog7972
07-09-10, 12:07
Is there such a thing? The reason I ask is because on Wedsnday we had an Officer disarmed and murdered with his own weapon which made me re-evaluate my position on how I carry my weapon off duty. I had forgotten about several incidents that have occurred recently. It seems as though there has been a marked increase in offenders attempting to gain control over an Officers weapon. In one incident at an upscale steakhouse, the BG was actually seen patting the offduty Officers waistband around the 3:00 position for a gun as they rolled around on the street. Thankfully, this Officer happened to be carrying in the SOB position so the BG could not find his gun. But this has all made me rethink where and how I carry my gun. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a retention IWB holster that is secure and yet concealable? The only one I could find was the Safariland 0701 which at first glance seemed to be what I was looking for. After reading some reviews however it I became less impressed with it because it was not IWB (which would have been fine) and the belt loops seem to be flimsey.

e28w
07-09-10, 12:54
http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=3S

Bulldog7972
07-09-10, 13:02
I saw that and it's not what I'm looking for. But thanks anyway. I don't really consider a thumbreak much of a retention method but it looks like that may be all that's out there.

Erik 1
07-09-10, 13:39
If OWB is ok, take a look at this Tucker: http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/stxwiloholei.html I have no experience with this one, but I have an IWB non-retention Silent Thunder for my M&P and am very happy with it. Their customer service is great, too, so perhaps they might be willing/able to do an IWB version. They list some other retention options under "Tactical Gear".

Bulldog7972
07-09-10, 15:22
That might work, thanks

rathos
07-09-10, 17:40
you aren't going to find much in the way of retention holsters that are IWB. The only ones I know of out there use thumbbreaks, which it sounds like you are not a fan of.

The Tucker looks really bulky, I would suggest a serpa or ALS holster depending on what you use at work. The ALS with the paddle seem to hold pretty tight to the body but they are both pretty bulky unless wearing an open button up shirt or jacket to conceal them, or one of the specialized shirts from woolrich or 5.11 with the velcro sides. I know opticsplanet.com is selling ALS paddle holsters for $30.00 right now which is a hell of a deal.

Good luck in your search.

SeriousStudent
07-09-10, 18:03
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your brother officer. Please accept our prayers and condolences.

jnc36rcpd
07-09-10, 19:49
I've always hoped for a IWB with some degree of retention. Unfortunately, a thumb-break seems to be the only security device available.

I have an ALS concealment holster with belt loops. It's pretty bulky. I would not recommend it for any purpose in which concealment is required.

You might long at Stong Holster's Piece-Keeper models in leather and nylon if a pancake holster with a securty feature would fit your needs. I don't think I've ever used a Strong product so I don't have first hand knowledge.

My condolences on the loss of your colleague.