PDA

View Full Version : Harries/Reverse Harries - Have you ever...

Gutshot John
07-09-10, 16:41
I was taught to use a reverse harries as with the harries the handgun/shooting hand can be leveraged against the off-hand and either pinned or disarmed.

One of the arguments you hear in favor of the harries as opposed to reverse harries flashlight technique is that the slide may break your arm or at least cause a malfunction during recoil.

I never questioned it at the time but given that the slide only moves about 2" during recoil it would seem that your arm would pretty much have to be on your wrist for that to be a problem? If your off-hand is on your forearm there doesn't seem to be a way to interfere with the slide.

Question: Has anyone ever experienced, seen/know firsthand someone either being disarmed while using the harries or had their wrist broken while using the reverse harries?

Shawn.L
07-09-10, 17:54
I took a privelty conducted low light course taught by a current DEA instructor. He relayed to us of having someone put Harries together wrong and shatter their wrist.
I have also seen on video after an interactice FoF class useing simulated firearms in the dark of a guy making this mistake but luckily correcting it as he was sweeping an area before he had to shoot.
Its my opinion having had this experiance, working with people learning how to manipulate lights in the dark, and practice, that I am not comfortable without having a distinct index point. That light hand will wander and move, esp in the dark in a life and death situation. Highly trained SF types or guys that are willing to drill the shit out of it nonwithstanding.
Having also discussed low light and retention with Randy Cain while taking his Close Quarters Tactics class he was of the mind that Harries was fine to use and did well when pulling into the retention position.

At the winter group you showed me what you mean by "leveraging against the light hand". It was not something I had considered before, and you are correct that it is a viable disarm technique.

Im getting together with some guys at the end of this month to practice Retention and Disarms techniques (we have all taken classes on the subject together, some mutiple, some more than once) and I'll write this into our agenda.

Im not sure that the leverage risk is one that outweighs the advantages of Harries at this point. And I also think there may be some ways to mitigate that risk by pulling into retention and coming off that wrist.

Gutshot John
07-09-10, 18:02
I took a privelty conducted low light course taught by a current DEA instructor. He relayed to us of having someone put Harries together wrong and shatter their wrist.

I'm really looking for someone here who has either experienced, known someone or witnessed either event first-hand. I'll clarify that in my OP.

That said using any technique requires proper training and awareness. It's kind of like being scope-bit. If your off-hand isn't resting directly on the wrists there doesn't seem to be much of a chance that will happen if you rest the off-hand against your strong forearm since the slide only moves about 2".