PDA

View Full Version : New Centom cmdr

Caeser25
07-09-10, 17:39
A man with some balls and isn't p.c. Thank God for the Marines.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/nation/s_689600.html

Blunt Marine picked to lead war
Photos

Gen. James Mattis

Friday, July 9, 2010

WASHINGTON -- Marine Corps Gen. James Mattis, an erudite combat veteran known for quoting poetry and openly expressing his enthusiasm for "killing the enemy," has been picked to take over U.S. Central Command, the Pentagon announced Thursday.

Mattis would replace Gen. David Petraeus, who is in Afghanistan as the top U.S. and NATO military officer there. Petraeus took over after Gen. Stanley McChrystal was removed by President Obama on June 23 in the wake of a Rolling Stone magazine article that quoted McChrystal and his staff mocking American civilian leaders.

Mattis is the head of Norfolk, Va.-based Joint Forces Command, which coordinates strategy and trains young generals. In June, he was passed over for the job of commandant of the Marine Corps in favor of Gen. James Amos.

As head of Central Command, Mattis would oversee U.S. military operations in Afghanistan and Pakistan, as well as across the Middle East, including Iraq and Iran. In his new position, Mattis technically would be Petraeus' boss.

The job requires Senate confirmation.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates told reporters that he was impressed with the general's "strategic insight and independent thinking."

Mattis is a general seemingly straight out of central casting, a gravel-voiced warrior best known for leading troops into the bloody battle of Fallujah in Iraq in 2004.

Fond of quoting Shakespeare, Clausewitz and Sun Tzu, he tends to speak bluntly of the harsh realities of war. His candor got him in trouble in 2005, when he asserted in a public speech in San Diego that it was "fun to shoot some people."

Mattis, a three-star general at the time, told the audience that some Afghans deserved to die.

"Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight," he said. "You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up front with you. I like brawling."

He added, "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

His comments evoked laughter and applause from some there, but his then-boss, Gen. Mike Hagee, asked him to watch his words in public.

Gates said yesterday that he raised the issue with Mattis during the job interview and was confident that the general will be careful.

"I think the subsequent five years have demonstrated that the lesson was learned," he said.

Nonetheless, Mattis has continued to tell reporters that his main job is to "kill the enemy."

Considered one of the military's premier strategic thinkers, he is a deft political operator. Among the members of his advisory board at Joint Forces Command have been Republican Newt Gingrich and Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Although Petraeus gets much of the credit for authoring the counterinsurgency doctrine that governs military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, Mattis had significant input.

With the Pentagon examining its media relations in the wake of the Rolling Stone story that ended McChrystal's career, Gates has in Mattis a general not known for cozy relations with reporters. Still, he values good press.

As he was poised to cross into Iraq in 2003 with embedded reporters in tow, he quoted the Greek poet Pindar: "Unsung, the noblest deed will die."

SeriousStudent
07-09-10, 18:02
I heard about that last night. Frankly, I was pretty amazed, and quite happy, that General Mattis got the nod.

I thought I had read somewhere that General Petraeus and General Mattis got along well. I'd be curious to know if that was one of the things that he asked for, when accepting the Afghan command.

Gutshot John
07-09-10, 18:12
II'd be curious to know if that was one of the things that he asked for, when accepting the Afghan command.

Almost certainly. In fact I'd bet a hundred dollars that he refused to take it unless he got to chose his successor and any number of subordinates.

Belmont31R
07-09-10, 18:17
Almost certainly. In fact I'd bet a hundred dollars that he refused to take it unless he got to chose his successor and any number of subordinates.

Afghan CMDR is a subordinate CMD to CENTCOM.

Whats interesting is that Petraeus basically took a demotion, and saying he demanded Mattis is like him choosing his own CMDR?

Seems like the COC is all screwy now....:confused:

Gutshot John
07-09-10, 18:24

Indeed which is why he would have needed pretty strong inducement to take a demotion to save Obama's bacon.

He didn't want anyone in that position he thought would give him problems or hamstring him in prosecuting the war.

Mattis's was given "positional authority" though Petreaus really is the one claling the shots.

VooDoo6Actual
07-09-10, 19:56
outstanding !

SeriousStudent
07-09-10, 21:47

Whats interesting is that Petraeus basically took a demotion, and saying he demanded Mattis is like him choosing his own CMDR?

Seems like the COC is all screwy now....:confused:

Yup my friend, I know the chain of command there. I'm also betting that General Petraeus's next command, if offered, would likely be Chairman of the JCS.

If I'm the President, and I'm asking you to eat a doo-doo cupcake, I'm damn sure going to make sure there are sprinkles and a cherry on top to hide the taste.

I would not take Gutshot John's bet, I thought the same thing. ;)

I'll also bet that when Admiral Mullen steps down, I'll bet General Petraeus gets that position. And I have zero problems with it, I think he's a fine officer. He's worked his ass off, and he's a warrior who can talk to Congress. That's rare, and essential.

ThirdWatcher
07-10-10, 01:51
General Mattis sounds like a cross between George Patton and Chesty Puller. I didn't know this country still turned out warriors of this caliber.

SeriousStudent
07-10-10, 08:21
We turn out plenty of them. It's just rare for them to make it past the politicians to achieve four stars.

Warriors tend to make politicians uncomfortable. Sometimes those politicians wear a uniform, sometimes they wear a suit.

jklaughrey
07-10-10, 09:22
Outstanding!

TehLlama
07-10-10, 09:34
General Mattis sounds like a cross between George Patton and Chesty Puller. I didn't know this country still turned out warriors of this caliber.

The man really is, our chief worry is that he may be the last of a dying breed.

woodandsteel
07-10-10, 10:00
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Genmattisltr.jpg

"No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy"

Plus there's always the quote where he told the warlords that he came as a friend, but would kill them all if they screwed with him.

This is an exciting development!

Belmont31R
07-10-10, 10:13
I wonder where Gen Ray Odierno is going to end up. He has been doing a lot of good things in Iraq but you never hear much about Iraq anymore...which is a good thing because that means things are going good.

C45P312
07-10-10, 10:48
Definitely a dying breed. He quals at my range. I am very honored.

SeriousStudent
07-10-10, 11:06
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Genmattisltr.jpg

Plus there's always the quote where he told the warlords that he came as a friend, but would kill them all if they screwed with him.

This is an exciting development!

"I come in peace," Mattis recalled telling them. "I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all."

http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/2006/08/1936008

Armati
07-10-10, 13:29

You know Patton believed in reincarnation.

George, is that you?

RogerinTPA
07-10-10, 13:38
Sounds like a great selection. I have a few Marine friends who served under Mattis in the first Gulf War. I admire the General's thinking and Bal sac.

Dozer
07-10-10, 13:51
I met General Mattis in Fallujah in '06. The man is a true warrior and we are lucky to have him. I wish more of our leaders were like him.

dookie1481
07-10-10, 14:26
I met General Mattis in Fallujah in '06. The man is a true warrior and we are lucky to have him. I wish more of our leaders were like him.

I know a guy who was on his staff at Quantico. He said he was an awesome guy.

Jay

ThirdWatcher
07-10-10, 15:01
What this country really needs is a leader like General Mattis in the Whitehouse.