PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my AR optics scope/red dot vs Aimpoint

Novice
07-09-10, 21:49
I currently have a Burris Fullfield II 2x7 on my AR. I bought a Redfield Revolution Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Accu-Plex Reticle to put on instead but I have a dilema. I also recently purchased a Tatical Solutions LT 22 upper for my AR and now I love shooting my normal IDPA handgun scenarios with the AR 22. I am going to get rid of the AR upper and just buy a conversion kit to shoot 22 so:

Opition #1: buy a Burris PEPR mount to mount the Redfield and buy a Leupold deltapoint to mount on top

Option #2: buy an Aimpoint and possibly a magnifier and sell the Burris, and Redfield

I have not shot anything with a scope/red dot combo or an Aimpoint so I am looking for some experience here.

Thanks

opmike
07-09-10, 22:34
It wasn't clear from your post, what's your intended use for this rifle. Can you elaborate?

Novice
07-09-10, 22:48
Now close range tatical but I do not want to give up long range totally. I am just wondering if the scope/red dot is akward? I would go with a 2 moa dot.

Belmont31R
07-09-10, 23:09
An aimpoint is good enough to shoot torso size targets out to 300M reliably. A magnifier can extend that a little bit the dot is not good for precision aiming. IMO its still a torso size target setup. In other words you wont be popping p-dogs at 400-500M with it.

A scope like a 1-4X will extend your range out to about 500M on a decent size target.

200-800M you really want a dedicated precision upper with a quality scope.

If most of your engagements are under 300-400M I would look at either the Aimpoint and magnifier or a 1-4X like a Trijicon or K-Dot.

A 556 would make a poor dedicated long range gun simply due to the fact the light bullets are much more influenced by environmental factors like wind. A 308 bolt gun would make a much better dedicated LR gun, and 300MAG and up for ELR. 556 is good for SR and MR with some light LR in favorable conditions, and a good shooter behind the trigger.

Novice
07-09-10, 23:20
Thanks for the response. I have a cabin in a heavily wooded area and I can not think of anywhere that I could even really see 200 to 300 yards. I guess I just really want what everyone seems to.... the perfect setup for every situation. (not realistic) Honestly, I would probably only be targeting hogs or coyotes at 250 or under.

And I was also thinking of getting a Remy 700 SPS Tactical 308 to do long range and larger game.

I guess I have some items to sell now.

I really do not need NV so which Aimpoint would you recommend? (not really interested in micros)

N2CH_556
07-09-10, 23:41
Thanks for the response. I have a cabin in a heavily wooded area and I can not think of anywhere that I could even really see 200 to 300 yards. I guess I just really want what everyone seems to.... the perfect setup for every situation. (not realistic) Honestly, I would probably only be targeting hogs or coyotes at 250 or under.
And I was also thinking of getting a Remy 700 SPS Tactical 308 to do long range and larger game.
I guess I have some items to sell now.
I really do not need NV so which Aimpoint would you recommend? (not really interested in micros)

Sounds like a C3 (in ADM or LaRue mount) would do you well:
http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/69016/69037.html

opmike
07-10-10, 15:29
I really do not need NV so which Aimpoint would you recommend?

If you don't want a Micro and you don't need NV capability, the Aimpoint CompC3 makes the most amount of sense.

Grant has good deals on packages:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=APC3AD68C